Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 27 May 2019, 14:35 (Ref:3906337)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Drivers Parade - Parking?

I haven't been to the parade for a few years now but as my son is coming again, this time with his girlfriend, I thought we'd go this year. A question (either for those who go each year, or perhaps for Eric) - where's the best place to park? I was thinking of parking down by the river and walking up to the old town (although the last time I did that it nearly killed me.... ). I also well remember the last time I did the parade with the Tourists and we managed to park inside the parade route, meaning that we couldn't get out again for hours and arrived about 3 hours late for dinner..... Dinner probably isn't so much of an issue this year, but it would be good to find somewhere sensible to park that we can easily get out of when we've seen enough to get back for early shuteye in preparation for the sleepless weekend.....
Old 27 May 2019, 14:47 (Ref:3906340)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Andrew, could you not use the local buses from where you are?
Old 27 May 2019, 15:13 (Ref:3906344)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I guess that's possible Simon, but we'll probably be heading to the parade from the circuit. The idea is to get into the circuit fairly early, do the pitwalk and probably wander around the Village for a while (if we don't manage to do it when it's quiet on Tuesday) and then go into town for a late lunch, which will hopefully enable us to find some parking before the hordes arrive.
Old 27 May 2019, 16:47 (Ref:3906360)   #4
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I guess that's possible Simon, but we'll probably be heading to the parade from the circuit. The idea is to get into the circuit fairly early, do the pitwalk and probably wander around the Village for a while (if we don't manage to do it when it's quiet on Tuesday) and then go into town for a late lunch, which will hopefully enable us to find some parking before the hordes arrive.
So parking early in the city, Tram out to the circuit and back in to the town?
Getting in early would likely increase the chances of finding a good spot.
Old 27 May 2019, 16:48 (Ref:3906361)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, that's a possibility too Matthias....
Old 27 May 2019, 20:47 (Ref:3906388)   #6
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Going into town by car is a disaster, at least when I used to do so. Be sensible, get the tram from the circuit, Antares, not somewhere halfway, because they will be full and you will not able to get in. When goiing back, walk up from the place.......... (where scruteneering is) in the opposite direction to get the tram back to Antares. Getting on at place........ is hard, because it is busy.
Be early to get a good spot or settle for the ambiance and a glimpse of the parade.
Old 27 May 2019, 20:53 (Ref:3906389)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I was thinking of going in very early actually, 2.30-3 pm, and grabbing a late lunch.
Old 27 May 2019, 21:40 (Ref:3906394)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That should work.
I’ve only ever done the parade when staying in town, so haven’t had to worry about parking. However we’ve normally been out on the Friday and return mid afternoon. Easy to get back in to town.

Maybe park down by the station? I’ve seen cars parked down there. It’s not too far a walk and there are bars on the way...
Old 28 May 2019, 09:54 (Ref:3906476)   #9
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Easiest would be to get the tram the whole way, otherwise perhaps park in a suburb near a tram stop and then you don't need to worry about city centre road closures.
Old 28 May 2019, 19:16 (Ref:3906583)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Thanks people. Tramming it for some part of the way has quite an attraction - particularly as I've still never been on one of the trams. I guess it must be done!
Old 29 May 2019, 01:05 (Ref:3906633)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Still good to go early with the trams, they can get very busy.
Old 29 May 2019, 18:04 (Ref:3906794)   #12
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Trams ride every 10 minutes, raceweekend every 5 minutes. Much more convenient than a car.
Old 30 May 2019, 09:54 (Ref:3906928)   #13
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks people. Tramming it for some part of the way has quite an attraction - particularly as I've still never been on one of the trams. I guess it must be done!

What I did one year with my drivers was head North and get the tram into the centre from the opposite direction to the circuit...........not nearly so crowded in either direction and use the ring road to get back to the track.
Old 30 May 2019, 10:10 (Ref:3906929)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I can see why Le Mans is so popular with events like this that have been going on for a while. It’s one of the few motorsports where the drivers and fans interact. And of course the whole of the area is devoted to that one weekend in June
Old 30 May 2019, 12:47 (Ref:3906953)   #15
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
We usually take the tram but this year we will be bringing bikes and will go to the towncentre by bike
Old 6 Jun 2019, 21:42 (Ref:3908359)   #16
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We went to Chartres last year on Friday morning and then my son and I went into town from Antares, saw the whole thing and then back to the campsite for a meal. So easy, so quick. I would recommend getting on at Antares or possibly Tertre Rouge - otherwise the trams can get a bit packed as a lot of people do the same. cheapity cheap and it will drop you off in Place de la Republique. A new thing for you to do this year!!
Old 6 Jun 2019, 21:45 (Ref:3908361)   #17
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
I shudder to think back to the days before the Tram when we used to hike to the L'hopital bus stop and then try and grab a taxi back at whenever A.M.... Although we did start to miss the drivers parade and go for a meal in Arnage, but that restaurant no longer exists Paul Frere ate there a few times at the same time we were there and the Haymarket 'lot'. Some great evenings
Old 7 Jun 2019, 07:09 (Ref:3908400)   #18
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The tram system in le mans is as you say very good and very cheap, although on friday evening is does struggle to cope, but that is not surprising
Old 7 Jun 2019, 09:26 (Ref:3908419)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by eps View Post
I shudder to think back to the days before the Tram when we used to hike to the L'hopital bus stop and then try and grab a taxi back at whenever A.M.... Although we did start to miss the drivers parade and go for a meal in Arnage, but that restaurant no longer exists Paul Frere ate there a few times at the same time we were there and the Haymarket 'lot'. Some great evenings
Sad to see favourite restaurants disappear. We always used to eat at Le Belinois at Monce en Belin - not cheap but fabulous food. Sadly the owners sold up and it turned into a pizzeria 4-5 years ago.
Old 7 Jun 2019, 20:51 (Ref:3908536)   #20
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Sad to see favourite restaurants disappear. We always used to eat at Le Belinois at Monce en Belin - not cheap but fabulous food. Sadly the owners sold up and it turned into a pizzeria 4-5 years ago.
One of my favourite restaurants anywhere. Now totally closed down. The pizza idea didn't last long.
Old 7 Jun 2019, 20:58 (Ref:3908538)   #21
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Over the last 34 year i have seen so many places change or close but it is the same everywhere
Old 7 Jun 2019, 21:07 (Ref:3908544)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
One of my favourite restaurants anywhere. Now totally closed down. The pizza idea didn't last long.
Yes, very good indeed
Old 7 Jun 2019, 21:28 (Ref:3908548)   #23
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Yes, very good indeed
Oh well, happy memories
Old 9 Jun 2019, 19:44 (Ref:3908852)   #24
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Chef

Quote:
Yep, it's a sad way of the world.. I think the patissierie in Arnage which we have used over the years has now changed ownership.. Last year the new owners got caught out by people actually coming in and wanting to buy bread, croissants and so on.. Not exactly surprising really and especially during that weekend!!
Old 11 Jun 2019, 12:47 (Ref:3909353)   #25
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The tram system in le mans is as you say very good and very cheap, although on friday evening is does struggle to cope, but that is not surprising
And it is rife with pick-pockets - be careful all.
My dad "lost" his Rayban's on it last time.