Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Aug 2002, 22:01 (Ref:364751)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Williams drivers split on Eau Rouge

From www.autosport.com

Williams drivers Ralf Schumacher and Juan Pablo Montoya are at odds over whether the famous Eau Rouge corner at Spa-Francorchamps deserves its status as one of the greatest in Formula.

"The once popular Eau Rouge corner has lost a bit of its glamour," reckons Ralf. "Today you can drive it without any concern, as the cars remain stable. There are certainly other corners in F1 that raise my heartbeat higher."

Montoya in contrast, believes that it's one of the few corners left in F1 that tests a driver's nerve to the max.

"Of course Eau Rouge is a true test!" he counters. "I did take it flat three or four times last year."

No wonder they have differing views, during JPM's pole lap last year, he went a whole 10mph faster than Rafe through Eau Rouge!

Last edited by Mr V; 23 Aug 2002 at 22:02.
Old 23 Aug 2002, 22:04 (Ref:364752)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Williams drivers split on Eau Rouge

Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
From www.autosport.com

[
"The once popular Eau Rouge corner has lost a bit of its glamour," reckons Ralf. "Today you can drive it without any concern, as the cars remain stable.
except Jacques car of course !
Old 23 Aug 2002, 22:11 (Ref:364756)   #3
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pity Ralf did not expand on what corners raised his heartbeat a little.

Sure Eau Rouge is easy to drive through, I could do it, at 30mph. But to drive through flat out seems to be a different matter.

SL
Old 23 Aug 2002, 22:15 (Ref:364759)   #4
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well if Ralf is that much slower than JPM in todays cars without the barrier, what would he have been like in the days of less grip and a nice barrier for you to smash into if you got it wrong?

Old 23 Aug 2002, 22:29 (Ref:364768)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The two Williams drivers do seem to have differing opinions on a lot of subjects. I mean, Ralf even liked the new "Hockenheim"... *shudder*
Old 23 Aug 2002, 23:07 (Ref:364782)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Williams drivers split on Eau Rouge

Quote:
"The once popular Eau Rouge corner has lost a bit of its glamour," reckons Ralf. "Today you can drive it without any concern, as the cars remain stable. There are certainly other corners in F1 that raise my heartbeat higher."
Try taking it without lifting!

Quote:
"Of course Eau Rouge is a true test!" he counters. "I did take it flat three or four times last year."
That's my boy!!!

Still the greatest corner. Come out of La Source trying to keep the back end under control, floor the throttle, hug the pit wall, then swing wide over the painted stripe, then... Left! Right! Left! Clip the curbs at each apex, three in less than a heartbeat! Do it right and you'll pull clear of whoever's chasing you, or get a fantastic run down that huge straightaway.

And it's still merciless. You probably won't die going off there anymore (as Jacques has proven), but there's no getting out of that gravel, your race is over if you go off.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 23 Aug 2002 at 23:11.
Old 24 Aug 2002, 01:16 (Ref:364821)   #7
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taking Eau Rouge flat usually means you have too much downforce or not enough power. Though with tire speeds this year they probably can all take it flat.

I have to say I agree, its a bit overrated. Its just a high speed chicane with a hill. Blanchimant seems like a pretty cool corner, or 130R at Suzuka.
Old 24 Aug 2002, 04:14 (Ref:364841)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was a time when Eau Rouge was THE most fearsome corner in grand prix racing, particularly when the barrier hugged the track and one tiny error could have meant a colossal accident - Zanardi in 1993 for instance.

However, though it's still a wonderful corner, there is no real hint of danger, but can still cause massive accidents - Villeneuve in the past few years for instance!
Old 24 Aug 2002, 06:39 (Ref:364874)   #9
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Zanardi's crash in '93 was a monster - due to the Lotus' active suspension failing. He was lucky to escape that one.
Old 24 Aug 2002, 09:57 (Ref:364934)   #10
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps this might explain JV's drop in performance- he's setting his car up to make the ride as scary and white-knuckle as possible for when he's bored running midfield.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 24 Aug 2002, 10:17 (Ref:364954)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
With regards to Eau Rouge, JV has always set up his cars so he can take it flat, usually to the detriment of the rest of the lap (but thats only in free practice i believe)
Old 24 Aug 2002, 10:34 (Ref:364964)   #12
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
But he's not there to enjoy himself, he's supposed to be risking his life...oh he is. Never mind...
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 24 Aug 2002, 16:30 (Ref:365124)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Re: Williams drivers split on Eau Rouge

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
And it's still merciless. You probably won't die going off there anymore (as Jacques has proven), but there's no getting out of that gravel, your race is over if you go off.
There is no gravel anymore. They've blacktopped the run off. Before you could cross the gravel at the top (Radillon) and get away with it but now you have to avoid some very big kerbs. I'm afraid that if you do lose it there, where once you might have got away with it, now you'll most likely destroy the car.

But from my experience the most daunting part of the circuit is Blanchiment. However I don't have as much grip as F1 cars so maybe its easy for them.
Old 24 Aug 2002, 17:29 (Ref:365152)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess the difference between Montoya and Jacques is a well-designed 2001 Williams and a not-so-good BAR in 1999, as Zonta also crashed super hard.

What about Salo in 1998?
Old 24 Aug 2002, 18:57 (Ref:365179)   #15
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Villeneuve manages to stuff it almost every year, he did it either in 2000 or 2001, I can't remember.
Old 24 Aug 2002, 19:13 (Ref:365186)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
I guess the difference between Montoya and Jacques is a well-designed 2001 Williams and a not-so-good BAR in 1999,
I don't remember JV going off in '96 and '97, so he can do it also when he has a well designed car.
Old 24 Aug 2002, 20:48 (Ref:365263)   #17
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh Eau Rouge is still big. But I still think 130R is bigger. I mean there is NO runoff there. Stupidly dangerous corner.
Old 24 Aug 2002, 20:55 (Ref:365267)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
130R and Blanchimont are massive corners, but they have one direction, Eau Rouge is different imo because there is a change of direction...i.e left, right, left.
Old 24 Aug 2002, 21:04 (Ref:365275)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think both Ralf and Monty are right, to an extent. Its not quite the brilliantly challenging corner it was 10 years ago, but I think its still one of, if not the, best corner on the schedule, taking extreme skill and commitment, I always look forward to watching onboard footage of the best going through there. and I guess Ralf's lacksadaisical approach to it could explain hs slower laps there last year.
Old 24 Aug 2002, 22:36 (Ref:365334)   #20
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
130R is damm good still , im not sure which one is better....Eau Rouge is better to look at , as its gradient is much steeper , but 130R is still as mighty .
Old 24 Aug 2002, 23:32 (Ref:365360)   #21
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course Jacques can do it. He did not crash in 1996, 97, 2000 and 2001... 6 tries, two crashes.
Old 24 Aug 2002, 23:33 (Ref:365362)   #22
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Tristan, isn't there a little bit of runoff at 130R? I think there's a gravel trap, not huge, but it's something
Old 25 Aug 2002, 11:15 (Ref:365506)   #23
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, but it's nothing compared to Blanchimont and Eau Rouge. If you loose it in the compression at the bottom of Eau Rouge you are going backwards for some time before you hit anything. I'm not saying it's nice or anything! It's savage alright! But at the 130R there's just a wall into which an F1 car would just spear. Plus which the exit's blind. At least with Eau Rouge it's kinda "there". You can see it all.
Old 25 Aug 2002, 14:37 (Ref:365605)   #24
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i think ralfs heart was beating a little faster into turn one, lap one...hungaroring
Old 27 Aug 2002, 05:01 (Ref:366387)   #25
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
130R

I remember Jacques Villeneuve and Patrick Head had a little personal wager on taking the 130R corner flat.

Listen to Patrick Head:

"Whereas with Jacques,at Suzuka last year,it amused him to go through 130R absolutely flat.He set that as his target.Until last year I'd never seen anyone do it,but after he'd done a 1minute 38.9 seconds he was grinning all over his face.He came up to me and said:'I told you.It is flat!'

"I said:'No it isn't.'But when I went to have a look at the throttle trace,there wasn't one ripple before the corner.He'd come out with half of his tyres in the dirt on the outside and had absolutely no margin at all.With Damon,there was a lift.He had decided to leave a margin."

Mention it to Villeneuve now and he laughs."Yeah.After Patrick Head had seen the throttle trace,he also checked to see if I'd left-foot braked before the corner,but I hadn't.He simply didn't want to believe I'd done it.That was fun.There wasn't much room there,I can tell you.It felt good."

I would say that there have been many drivers who have claimed to go through some of F1's very fast corners flat,but I think many of them had a foot ever so slightly on the brake,happens all the time.

Again,just think of some of the drivers that Williams have had over the years and to think that Jacques was the first driver that Patrick Head saw do this is saying quite a lot I'd say.

Chip off the old block,I suppose.

Tye

Last edited by Tye; 27 Aug 2002 at 05:03.