Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2155733)   #1
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Help! Info on Goodwood 9 Hours of 1953

Anyone with any clue as to how/where I can obtain the results of qualifying for this,any help please gentlemen.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 20:53 (Ref:2155949)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm hoping to be proved wrong, but this info. maybe difficult to come by. I've looked through several appropriate books, including 3 specifically on Goodwood, and also the contemporary Motor Sport report, but not a sniff of qualifying results. Anyone got a programme with the details filled in?

Is there a specific car/driver combination that you are interested in here, Terry?
Old 18 Mar 2008, 22:31 (Ref:2156033)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure of the race number John,but the driver was Mrs Bluebell-Gibbs,the car is the one that was pictured at Mallory last month in Motorsport History.
Someone was asking when the photo was taken. Thanks for the input.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 22:39 (Ref:2156038)   #4
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a photo on page 98 of The Glory of Goodwood which shows the starting order as

1 Jaguar C-Type Moss/Walker
2 Jaguar C Type Rolt/Hamilton
3 Jaguar C Type Whitehead/Stewart
? Jaguar XK120 ?/? (car was LHD registration looks like AV233)
7 Allard ?/?
8 ? ?/?
9 Talbot Levegh/Etancelin
?
?

This suggests that the line up was in race number order so practice times may not have mattered

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 06:11 (Ref:2156237)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thats interesting D Type,many thanks.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 08:10 (Ref:2156282)   #6
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have you looked on the Worlds Sports Racing Prototypes site.
wsrp.ic.cz
Then go to British International Races, then 1953. You should find it there.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 09:03 (Ref:2156313)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Brilliant,many thanks,I'll have a look.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 09:03 (Ref:2156314)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Tried it but just got ERROR 404 Does not exist.Any ideas?

Last edited by terence; 19 Mar 2008 at 09:10.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2156434)   #9
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Tried it but just got ERROR 404 Does not exist.Any ideas?
Worked for me, what a great website!!

Not sure if the below is clear, copied and pasted from the site. The headings are:-

Pos/No/Driver (Nationality) Car/Entrant/ Laps/Time retired/Pos/Group Pos

1. 4 Reg Parnell (GB) Eric Thompson (GB) Aston Martin DB3S 2 David Brown 297 9:00:00,000 1. S+2.0 4.
2. 6 Peter Collins (GB) Pat Griffith (GB) Aston Martin DB3S 4 David Brown 295 2. S+2.0 11.
3. 3 Peter Whitehead (GB) Ian Stewart (GB) Jaguar XK120C XKC 053 W. Lyons 295 3. S+2.0 7.
4. 8 Jimmy Stewart (GB) Bob Dickson (GB) Jaguar XK120C XKC 041 KSF181 Ecurie Ecosse 282 4. S+2.0 10.
5. 9 Jock Lawrence (GB) Frank Curtis (GB) Jaguar C type XKC 042 KFS182 Ecurie Ecosse 281 5. S+2.0 14.
6. 23 Bob Gerard (GB) David Clarke (GB) Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica 421/100/119 HBC1 Automobiles Frazer Nash 280 1. S2.0 9.

[Mod's Note:- Whilst there is no copyright over facts, the manner in which they are laid out needs proper recognition, so we must avoid copying great chunks of another site. I've left in the first half dozen placings but the complete results are here:-

http://wsrp.ic.cz/intgb1953.html

It is part of Martin Krejci great site, the homepage for which is here:-

http://wsrp.ic.cz/intgb.html

It's a true labour of love, putting that amount of effort in. Thank you, Martin - JT]

Last edited by John Turner; 19 Mar 2008 at 12:46.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 14:05 (Ref:2156508)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Yes it does work,I went in through WSCP and followed the link from there.It really is a labour of love and thanks to rbs i now have the info I need.Very Great full and many thanks Gentlemen.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 16:46 (Ref:2157385)   #11
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I'm hoping to be proved wrong, but this info. maybe difficult to come by. I've looked through several appropriate books, including 3 specifically on Goodwood, and also the contemporary Motor Sport report, but not a sniff of qualifying results. Anyone got a programme with the details filled in?

Is there a specific car/driver combination that you are interested in here, Terry?
The grid position (but not times) are set out in Robert Barker's "A Record of Motor Racing at Goodwood" - as they are for vitually every Goodwood race from the humble Members Meetings up.
RAP
Old 20 Mar 2008, 16:58 (Ref:2157394)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thanks RAP,always good to have info.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 14:35 (Ref:2163100)   #13
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Starting Grid

If the grid was set as per Le Mans in the early 50's, the number order and grid order were pretty much set according to engine capacity. (Le Mans didn't set the grid according to practise times until about 1963).
Old 27 Mar 2008, 15:33 (Ref:2163123)   #14
RAP
Racer

I have checked Autosport. The grid was on times which is given in their report. Quickest was Abecassis/Whitehead (HWM) was 1'43", slowest the Buschmann/Pope (Porsche) 2'20.8"
Old 27 Mar 2008, 18:12 (Ref:2163247)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thanks for the help chaps,its car No 40 i'm interested in,I need to know if it actually ran in qualifying,I know it did not start.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 14:17 (Ref:2166181)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Apparently I still need proof that No 40 actually took part in Practice,driven by Len Gibb's,any ideas,anyone,PLEASE.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2166393)   #17
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It isn't definitive, but Martin Krejki usually discriminates beteween 'In entry list' 'Did not qualify' and 'Did not start' so it is likely that the car did appear in practice.

Why not ask him by e-mail - he may have more data than he has published.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 21:26 (Ref:2166503)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thanks D Type,What I really need is a copy of the results sheet,FIA are just being totally unreasonable on this one.They want to see a copy of the Program as well as Result sheet.The HRG is possibly one of the most Historicaly correct cars there is and yet a Continuation car gets its papers with out even a sniff of a Race Circuit.!!!
Old 1 Apr 2008, 19:45 (Ref:2167264)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
RAP,sorry to have not replied to your E-Mail,I lost it somehow.From memory,we already have the program from Goodwood 9hr,its not acceptable for HTP,they have to have proof that the car at least practiced!!!!
My other route now is the Brands August International Meeting 1954,on the WPCS site ,Gibbs did race but spun out,but the FIA will not take that site as proof!!.Apparently they are throwwing back something like 50% of all HTP applications, I wonder how many T70s are thrown back??
Old 2 Apr 2008, 07:30 (Ref:2167561)   #20
RAP
Racer

Quote:
RAP,sorry to have not replied to your E-Mail,I lost it somehow.From memory,we already have the program from Goodwood 9hr,its not acceptable for HTP,they have to have proof that the car at least practiced!!!!
My other route now is the Brands August International Meeting 1954,on the WPCS site ,Gibbs did race but spun out,but the FIA will not take that site as proof!!.Apparently they are throwwing back something like 50% of all HTP applications, I wonder how many T70s are thrown back??
I dont blame the FIA for not accept anything on the internet as "gospel". However, your Brands route is easier. Gibbs is mentioned in Motor Sport Sept 54 page 502 "and the HRG of Gibbs went of course..."

RAP
Old 2 Apr 2008, 08:03 (Ref:2167581)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Excellent,Thanks RAP,I'll have a look through that.Your right about the Brands race as the FIA are asking to see a program/proof etc.This could shorten the road some-what,thanks again.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 17:18 (Ref:2168024)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
RAP,do you have that copy of Motor Sport or have you a trick for getting into thier archives?
Old 2 Apr 2008, 18:37 (Ref:2168070)   #23
RAP
Racer

Quote:
RAP,do you have that copy of Motor Sport or have you a trick for getting into thier archives?
Have the Motor Sport. PM me with your e mail and I'll send a scan
Old 14 Apr 2008, 01:50 (Ref:2176779)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Just an update on the battle of wits with the FIA,after all of the input,they still require proof of the 9hr practice participation,the Brands event was not international,back to tearing out even more clumps then!
Old 14 Apr 2008, 08:29 (Ref:2176911)   #25
RAP
Racer

Puzzled by statement that Brands not International as title of meeting is Daily Telegraph International Trophy. Perhaps it was a dual-permit as the sports car race is listed as "National 1500cc Sports car Championship race" ? I'm not sure how these things worked in those days.

Re 9 hrs have you tried BARC?