Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Aug 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3292987)   #26
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
James Allen predicted before the British GP that Dan will go back to showing superior pace to Jev at Silverstone and following races. His reasoning was that Jev is very good at the slow stuff where Dan is VERY good in the high speed stuff with his accuracy and feel for the car. Sort of the opposite of Jev.

Thats James Allens reasoning why Jev looked good in Canada and Monaco...but he seemed to have called it that the traditional F1 circuits favour Dans natural feel and style of driving.
that's an interesting theory given that feel and accuracy are very important at monaco, where ricciardo won twice in a row in 3.5

i guess i agree with the slow/quick side of that though. jev is probably a bit too aggressive for the high speed corners, but he's good when you need to shove the car around a bit and attack. of course, that said didn't he score his first points on an epic conservative run on the wrong tyres in malaysia? swings and roundabouts.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 11:11 (Ref:3293012)   #27
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
First Perez and now this. Top teams are really pushing for the 'quite decent' drivers these days aren't they?

I am just not excited at all about this. Vettel will be utterly unchallenged.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 11:36 (Ref:3293023)   #28
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
First Perez and now this. Top teams are really pushing for the 'quite decent' drivers these days aren't they?
i don't know if that's completely true, but we are certainly more aware of drivers flaws nowadays. it was only 2 dull years in dull cars in f1 that made everyone lose the spark with ricciardo for example.

i think the oversaturation of f1 and under-reporting on everything else gives everyone strangely warped views too. a prime example of that is the antonio felix da costa rollercoaster of opinion over the past 12 months. the hype was based on f1 reporters seeing results without really understanding the way the rest of the championship was going. now people are wondering where he is, and assuming it's because he's Doing It Wrong.

people should be getting really hyped on vandoorne and magnussen, but they're not. it's kind of odd really.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 11:39 (Ref:3293025)   #29
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post

I am just not excited at all about this. Vettel will be utterly unchallenged.
Exactly. And that's the thing - Vettel needs challenged. It seems crazy to me that Seb is on course to bagging a 4th straight world title, which only one other man in history has ever done, and he isn't regarded as the legendary driver that he ought to be. With Ricciardo in the team, that will only continue to be the case. If they stuck Kimi or Alonso in the car and he beat them fair and square his stock would rise enormously. It would be the next best thing to moving team from Vettel's point of view.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 11:46 (Ref:3293028)   #30
p-matt
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
people should be getting really hyped on vandoorne and magnussen, but they're not. it's kind of odd really.
I'm not personally fully convinced on Vandoorne. Because we've seen so many times before - if you win Eurocup and step up to 3.5 you are in a much better position than if you are a pure rookie to the series.

I guess Magnussen is making his way through the ranks in such a paint by numbers kind of way. I haven't seen the sheer speed of a Bianchi or a Grosjean and he hasn't dominated a high level championship as a rookie like Lewis and Hulkenberg did. He's very good, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not excited by the prospect of him as an F1 driver yet.

And I'm not convinced that FR 3.5 prepares drivers as well for the modern era of F1 quite as well as GP2. Hence why this year's field has been a massive step up in quality from last year.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 12:00 (Ref:3293037)   #31
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Exactly. And that's the thing - Vettel needs challenged. It seems crazy to me that Seb is on course to bagging a 4th straight world title, which only one other man in history has ever done, and he isn't regarded as the legendary driver that he ought to be. With Ricciardo in the team, that will only continue to be the case. If they stuck Kimi or Alonso in the car and he beat them fair and square his stock would rise enormously. It would be the next best thing to moving team from Vettel's point of view.
it doesn't matter who partners Vettel, they'll all be treated as a number 2 driver.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 12:08 (Ref:3293043)   #32
p-matt
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
it doesn't matter who partners Vettel, they'll all be treated as a number 2 driver.
I genuinely don't believe that. It just so happens that Webber isn't as good as Vettel
Old 23 Aug 2013, 12:21 (Ref:3293052)   #33
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
I'm not personally fully convinced on Vandoorne. Because we've seen so many times before - if you win Eurocup and step up to 3.5 you are in a much better position than if you are a pure rookie to the series.
i know what you mean, but i think frijns and vandoorne are two seperate cases. firstly, you do have to be very quick and consistent to beat 30-odd cars to the title in the eurocup. no question about it. frijns was uberquick, aggressive and has the relevant strong, unapologetic attitude to make it work. vandoorne is on the other end of the scale. he's really quick, like, *really*. he gets it spectacularly right in qualifying too, and is a really good assertive but not aggressive racer. he doesn't have an attitude or an ego, he just gets on with it. it's difficult to get excited about him because he excels at almost everything, and he makes it look so easy.

Quote:
I guess Magnussen is making his way through the ranks in such a paint by numbers kind of way. I haven't seen the sheer speed of a Bianchi or a Grosjean and he hasn't dominated a high level championship as a rookie like Lewis and Hulkenberg did. He's very good, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not excited by the prospect of him as an F1 driver yet. And I'm not convinced that FR 3.5 prepares drivers as well for the modern era of F1 quite as well as GP2. Hence why this year's field has been a massive step up in quality from last year.
i think magnussen is impressive for me *because* he's doing it paint by numbers. he showed that speed occasionally last year, and this year he improved his own performance and picked the right team to get the most out of the entire situation. that's both excellent management and a smart driver. the only drivers to get near him and vandoorne this year have been one-off strong drives - muller at monaco, sorensen and his austrian heroics, felix da costa and his monza low tyre pressure adventures. and, er, huertas and that weird motorland speedboat race

i don't know what place gp2 has in preparing a driver for f1 any more. for me, it's just a one-make formula that shares similar characteristics to a f1 car that allows rich drivers to play in something that is close enough to what daddy can't *quite* afford. 3.5 is more pure, so it's easier to put in consistent strong performances without the spectre of needing to think too hard about strategy, sacrifice one race for another, or anything like that. gp2 was good in the years that the concept was as simple as 3.5, right at the beginning. now it's too big a gamble to take, and to be honest, it's too late to be picked up by a f1 team unless you've got a big wallet. replicating f1 by having such little track time that the rookies need a season or two to really get going is a bit too much don't get me wrong, i like watching gp2 races, but in the same way i like watching btcc ones...

essay, sorry, most of which is entirely off topic.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 12:55 (Ref:3293073)   #34
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I genuinely don't believe that. It just so happens that Webber isn't as good as Vettel
Not so sure about that, we've seen that before.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 14:12 (Ref:3293109)   #35
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I always thought that F3 was the best barometer of how someone would go in an F1 car.

No longer the same ...
Old 23 Aug 2013, 15:24 (Ref:3293131)   #36
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
it probably still would be if everyone actually did f3! and you know, if everyone could afford top quality engineers etc etc...
Old 23 Aug 2013, 16:45 (Ref:3293160)   #37
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I always thought that F3 was the best barometer of how someone would go in an F1 car.

No longer the same ...
On that basis, Felipe Nasr anyone?
Old 27 Aug 2013, 02:41 (Ref:3294495)   #38
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Ricciardo vs Vergne

Best laps at Spa.

http://www.pitpass.com/49745/Belgian...test-Race-Laps

Ricciardo Lap 38 1:50.967 3rd fastest lap.
Vergne Lap 29 1:53.065 14th fastest lap.

Interesting table when you compare team mates.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 06:28 (Ref:3294553)   #39
p-matt
Veteran

Oh come on!! Fastest laps mean nothing. JEV was clearly the quicker STR driver all weekend and beat Dan in quali. If it wasn't for JEV's slow puncture he would have scored a point despite being on a weaker strategy than Dan
Old 27 Aug 2013, 07:17 (Ref:3294566)   #40
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Vergne has always been stronger than Dan at Spa, last year he was 2 tenths quicker than Ricciardo, this year he was only 0.017 quicker in Qualy than Dan this year, he's catching up. besides Webber confirmed his seat at Redbull next year
Old 27 Aug 2013, 07:41 (Ref:3294572)   #41
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber did confirm it, so Christian Horner may as well admit it.

JEV has always been better at Spa. He was comprehensively destroying Ricciardo throughout the practice sessions, outqualified him despite obvious mis-calls by the team, and would probably have finished 9th or 10th if not for the slow puncture.