Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Nov 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3860338)   #51
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great photos as always, thank you Pieter.

Sadly a great weekend was somewhat spoilt by some b8stard nicking the go pro out of the car, while sitting in Parc Ferme....not impressed.
Attached Thumbnails
E7CC15AC-6D94-4AEF-831C-45AD0CDCD3E0.jpeg  
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 1 Nov 2018, 12:53 (Ref:3860343)   #52
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Sadly a great weekend was somewhat spoilt by some b8stard nicking the go pro out of the car, while sitting in Parc Ferme....not impressed.

That was particularly unpleasant and sad to hear. It’s not only the camera loss, but the vid of the race as well....

Thank you Pieter for your excellent as usual report and gallery.
Old 1 Nov 2018, 16:04 (Ref:3860384)   #53
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
And regarding the M. Werner story, the Alfa was driven by Moritz Werner (brother of Max, both sons of Klaus) He trailered the car from Munich on his own, did all the team work on his own, stayed in an AirBNB facility and trailered the car back to Munich on Sunday. His pitstop, without any assistance was done 3 seconds slower than the allowed 5 minutes 33 second, and included lying underneath the car to adjust the brakes. In the background A. Furiani was there, assisting another GTA, but his interventions were not required. This is what I would call, Gentleman Racing.

And further to that, after two Cobra's were disqualified for non conformity after the race, the GTA finished tenth. It is the same car that once won the St. Mary's cup in the hands of Stipler and Furiani, and was this year driven there by Max and Moritz Werner together.
Very close to being a gentleman.

Obviously to qualify as a full Gentleman drive the chap would need to drive the car to the circuit, race and drive it home.

The Airbnb thing is also a bit iffy. One should have a chum who has an acquaintance of some sort who lives locally to where you one is racing and one stays with them.
The place to stay would, of course, be a proper accommodation rather than a transporter, motorhome or trailer. Most likely at least a small country house in order to qualify at the correct status level.

Old 1 Nov 2018, 16:28 (Ref:3860388)   #54
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Very close to being a gentleman.

Obviously to qualify as a full Gentleman drive the chap would need to drive the car to the circuit, race and drive it home.

To be absolutely period correct (one needs to maintain standards, what!) one would require one's man to drive one's voiture to the event.
Old 1 Nov 2018, 16:55 (Ref:3860393)   #55
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
To be absolutely period correct (one needs to maintain standards, what!) one would require one's man to drive one's voiture to the event.

Surely that is only the case for a different type of 'Gentleman'?
Old 15 Nov 2018, 06:09 (Ref:3863399)   #56
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
For those not privileged to have seen it in the flesh, GRRC have put this video of the Howmet at Imola on their website......

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/race/h...BER856,NE8PT,1
Old 15 Nov 2018, 08:01 (Ref:3863415)   #57
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
For those not privileged to have seen it in the flesh, GRRC have put this video of the Howmet at Imola on their website......

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/race/h...BER856,NE8PT,1
Beautiful car Mike..... thanks for posting.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 10:14 (Ref:3863446)   #58
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Why is it said as "ridiculous machine"?
Old 15 Nov 2018, 11:29 (Ref:3863454)   #59
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Why is it said as "ridiculous machine"?
I don’t think the Goodwood PR team script writers are car people, Gerard......

And some times the term ‘ridiculous’ is not derogatory- if used in the right context!
Old 15 Nov 2018, 11:42 (Ref:3863461)   #60
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
OK, Mike, fair enough. I wont even think about calling those people "ridiculous writers" then…

Honestly, when you know what it took to source those cars, restore them, bring them to their former glory (even if slightly altered…), maintain and put them back on the track and drive them at their max I think this kind of adventure deserves some respect. Together with spectators investing money to watch them…
But OK, my English is bad, thanks for your precision

And I'm not good to express myself about this particular car, because I know quite well Sébastien and his father Jacques who was a tough competitor in the '70s (Porsche Grp4)! Good link thanks.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 12:28 (Ref:3863468)   #61
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I don’t think the Goodwood PR team script writers are car people, Gerard......

And some times the term ‘ridiculous’ is not derogatory- if used in the right context!
I hope they meant ridiculously fascinating, which is what I find it.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 12:31 (Ref:3863469)   #62
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Honestly, when you know what it took to source those cars, restore them, bring them to their former glory (even if slightly altered…), maintain and put them back on the track and drive them at their max I think this kind of adventure deserves some respect. Together with spectators investing money to watch them….
Your understanding of English not that bad! I certainly would not have used the word “ridiculous”..........

We should be extremely thankful there are people prepared to put money into restoring and then racing such rare and unusual machinery.....
Old 15 Nov 2018, 12:41 (Ref:3863475)   #63
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Your understanding of English not that bad! I certainly would not have used the word “ridiculous”..........

We should be extremely thankful there are people prepared to put money into restoring and then racing such rare and unusual machinery.....
When I first saw I was literally amazed ,musy have been quite incredible when it was new,alhough I admit I hadn't heard of it before which is a shame.
Old 30 Nov 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3866977)   #64
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Just confirmed by Peter Auto that the 2018 60’s Endurance Under 2.5 litre Championship has gone to John Emberson and Bill Wykeham driving the former’s fabulous Morgan SLR!

Even more impressive is that 3rd in the championship has gone to the Stephens family, campaigning their 356 all season with just the three family members doing everything- from car build, to transport, to driving, to pit wall duty. Well done Anita, Bill and Will. Absolutely delighted for you !
Old 30 Nov 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3866990)   #65
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Just confirmed by Peter Auto that the 2018 60’s Endurance Under 2.5 litre Championship has gone to John Emberson and Bill Wykeham driving the former’s fabulous Morgan SLR!

Even more impressive is that 3rd in the championship has gone to the Stephens family, campaigning their 356 all season with just the three family members doing everything- from car build, to transport, to driving, to pit wall duty. Well done Anita, Bill and Will. Absolutely delighted for you !

Well done to all involved.
Old 30 Nov 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3867001)   #66
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Quote:

To be fair I just do some of the driving, I time my arrival/departure at the circuit to ensure that the loading/unloading is already done!!

Great result for the SLR team, richly deserved!
Mag 7's #60
Old 30 Nov 2018, 17:23 (Ref:3867065)   #67
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
To be fair I just do some of the driving, I time my arrival/departure at the circuit to ensure that the loading/unloading is already done!!
Don’t be so modest Will- I’ve seen you changing engines and gearboxes in the paddock!

Or was that under duress.......
Old 22 Dec 2018, 07:25 (Ref:3871925)   #68
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Shame both drivers were not recognised....
Attached Thumbnails
97F718D5-B91C-4105-BBB0-CD231B36E57A.jpeg  
Mag 7's #60
Old 22 Dec 2018, 07:35 (Ref:3871928)   #69
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Shame both drivers were not recognised....
Whoops- especially as the other one pays the entry fees!
Old 22 Dec 2018, 09:25 (Ref:3871941)   #70
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place

Look at you, alway moaning, never happy… In one word, French !
Old 27 Dec 2018, 21:55 (Ref:3872720)   #71
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
It's 18 years since I competed at this meeting at Imola, but it is a lovely circuit, and a great place to stay and explore. Watch out for the weather at this time of year, though - a wet Imola is not for the faint-hearted ! Nick
You put a curse on it (well for Sunday anyway).