Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 5 Dec 2012, 15:14 (Ref:3175382)   #2526
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
Qualy rule seems daft. It's all well and good making sure all the drivers have time in the car before the race, and perhaps saying they must be within a certain percentage of the others if you want to make sure they are good enough. But that system will be almost impossible for fans to follow, especially trackside.
Agreed, unnecessary complications. The single lap is far more exciting.

Chris Dyson ‏@ChrisDyson16
@almsnotes @fiawec More confusing stupidity.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 5 Dec 2012 at 15:22.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 15:45 (Ref:3175389)   #2527
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Funnily enough, the complicated quali format, that will prove difficult to follow not only for casual spectators but even for commentators, has been introduced "to make it more attractive for spectators and media".
Old 5 Dec 2012, 16:03 (Ref:3175396)   #2528
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I understand what they are trying to do but this format is a bit ridiculous. KISS
Old 5 Dec 2012, 16:19 (Ref:3175402)   #2529
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Panda, I know what you mean, but the "bean counters" can go fornicate themselves for all I care! Maybe if the sport did things that people wholeheartedly find attractive and exciting, the sport would have a better following (what a concept!). (I bet Kaz, along with the other combatants, would be grinning from ear to ear after a knock-down-drag-out battle at Elkhart Lake!)

And I have to agree, having one man going for the ultimate lap in qualifying is the best arrangement. Getting minimum driving time covered to qualify to participate should be taken care of during the regular practice sessions. And as for qualifying, it's a bloody six-hour (or more) race! If the driver line-up as a whole isn't up to snuff, that will be brought to the fore during the race.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 16:20 (Ref:3175403)   #2530
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
FIA WMSC press release concerning the WEC in 2013-2014:

http://www.fia.com/news/world-motor-sport-council-2012

Quali rule seems a tad too over-complicated to me, further cost reductions for LMP2 and GTE-Am are a good idea though, makes it more cost-effective for the gentleman drivers.
I don't like the new qualifying format, or the fact that Warm-Up is cancelled. Of course I can now sleep longer, and be better rested for the race, but I will miss the, well yes, "Warm-Up/Teaser" to the race.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 17:42 (Ref:3175432)   #2531
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I like that two drivers must qualify. BUt I don't like counting four laps, I'd prefer two. With the new system, it will be much more likely that a backmarker will ruin a team's position.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 17:43 (Ref:3175433)   #2532
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Really stupid to change the Qualifying rules. If they want both drivers to drive in the session just mandate the first 15 mins for driver 1, 2nd 15 minutes for driver 2, then take the fastest time set by the quickest driver to set the grid.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 17:44 (Ref:3175435)   #2533
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah it's a bit crap to be honest. Will wreck the excitement at Le Mans. Especially when you mainly have three-man teams it renders the whole thing pointless.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 17:58 (Ref:3175443)   #2534
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
please tell me that stupid qualifying rule doesn't apply to Le Mans too - will ruin the end of Wednesday and Thursday
Old 5 Dec 2012, 18:04 (Ref:3175446)   #2535
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
I already feel very sorry for commentators having to explain what on earth is going on and who's where in terms of provisional grid position.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 18:18 (Ref:3175449)   #2536
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One "smart" thing from the new qualifying, is that it's more endurance now, rather than just 1 quick lap. Setting a quick lap time 4 times is more realistic to once true pace, than setting one.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 18:23 (Ref:3175451)   #2537
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It kills the magic of pulling a flying lap out of the bag. If this was F1 at least they would supply some tech to work out the positions in real time. I don't see the ACO doing that.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 18:28 (Ref:3175452)   #2538
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For the overall pole in LMP1 and in GTE-Pro it should be a single driver shootout but I like the new qualy rules for LMP2 and GTE-Am. This will give a more representative grid of the the pro-am teams and the casual fans will likely only care about the pro classes anyway.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 19:06 (Ref:3175468)   #2539
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It kills the magic of pulling a flying lap out of the bag.
Yep, it certainly feels like they're trying to reinvent the wheel. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!

Old 5 Dec 2012, 19:14 (Ref:3175473)   #2540
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It kills the magic of pulling a flying lap out of the bag. If this was F1 at least they would supply some tech to work out the positions in real time. I don't see the ACO doing that.
The tech needed, can be done in a spreadsheet. You just need to plug-in the lap times manually, lap by lap.
So hopefully ACO will supply this, or else we have to put our hopes up for RLM's Math skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Yep, it certainly feels like they're trying to reinvent the wheel. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!

Although I see a point in the change, I agree.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 19:21 (Ref:3175475)   #2541
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post

Although I see a point in the change, I agree.
And, moving on from that, we are talking about a sport which is already confusing enough, to the casual observer (multi class format). This surely only serves to compound the problem still further.

For the spectators and the media? For the sake of it, more like!
Old 5 Dec 2012, 20:18 (Ref:3175495)   #2542
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Well... the Indy 500 has had 4-lap qualifying runs for years and they manage alright, plus their qualifying system has been more complicated anyway with qualifying stretched over a few days. However... last time the FIA tried aggregate-times qualifying in any series, it got scrapped about a quarter of the way through the season (F1 in '05). So if the same rate applies here, the rule may (hopefully) be gone by the time we are in Le Mans.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3175529)   #2543
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I reckon any decent timing company could handle this. After all, they can offer, live, the 'optimum' lap in qualifying, now, aggregating sectors from various cars...
I can see THAT leading to some Banzai efforts, to move that aggregate time up the charts.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 22:35 (Ref:3175540)   #2544
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I reckon any decent timing company could handle this.
But we're talking about ACO, le technique a la 1982.
Old 6 Dec 2012, 00:13 (Ref:3175570)   #2545
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Yup. Timing is calculated by state of the art tape ordinateurs and then sent through to FIA's fax machines, scanned and posted on the web.
Old 6 Dec 2012, 07:57 (Ref:3175645)   #2546
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Do each drivers 2 laps have to be consecutive or can it be any 2 laps?
Old 6 Dec 2012, 08:11 (Ref:3175649)   #2547
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Do each drivers 2 laps have to be consecutive or can it be any 2 laps?
As far as I'm aware, it's each driver's fastest two laps, but they'll probably still be consecutive to fit within the time constraints of a regular quali session. (Hopefully they won't apply the rule to Le Mans though.)
Old 6 Dec 2012, 08:25 (Ref:3175653)   #2548
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
It could be exciting on some circuits as there will be little opportunity for error (maybe one extra lap at most) and therefore the whole 20 mins will be quite frantic and the drivers that make the best of any traffic will come to the fore.
Old 6 Dec 2012, 08:32 (Ref:3175655)   #2549
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too confusing.

Keep it simple with one lap magic.
Old 6 Dec 2012, 08:44 (Ref:3175658)   #2550
Mal
Veteran

England
London
I am not so sure, I will reserve judgement until I see it in action.

Providing the live timing shows aggregate times I cant see why it will be so confusing. It will build up over a longer period until the last lap for each car is much the same a a one lap banzai.

In P1 the reality is that the factory cars have been doing a qualifying run in the first 10 minutes and then parking and sitting in the pit for the rest of the session. This is presumably what the FIA are trying to avoid. by making the final few minutes more exciting.