Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Aug 2016, 15:35 (Ref:3667378)   #26
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the French are prepared for Danicamania. Might be better to ease them into it.

It was funny when we were at Sears Point the day after the Rolex Race, preparing the carfor Miller and listening to the announcers while the Indycar race was going on. When they said, "Scott Dixon, Danica Patrick" it came out as "Scott Dix (slight pause) in, Danica Patrick" the track announcer then went silent and when they came back on, you could hear laughing in the background.
Old 24 Aug 2016, 16:25 (Ref:3667381)   #27
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TENTHS View Post
Hmm, interesting possibility considering where she started out (that one ALMS race in 2003).
Started out? In IMSA?

She was only at Sebring the one time (I fergit what year) and was to slow in testing/practice (again, I fergit) and was too slow (excuse...errr...reason: "she couldn't be fitted to the car"???) so never even ran.

And as for her one win at, what was it, Montegi? (after checking, yup; my memory is sorta still with me), really? 'Her driving or just correct strategy by the team? (Hmmmm, reminds of Rossi at Indy...)

Take a looksee at her "history" (an awesome history site, 'specially shear numbers):
http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com...hp?uniqid=2349

jimclark
Old 24 Aug 2016, 17:19 (Ref:3667387)   #28
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Started out? In IMSA?

She was only at Sebring the one time (I fergit what year) and was to slow in testing/practice (again, I fergit) and was too slow (excuse...errr...reason: "she couldn't be fitted to the car"???) so never even ran.

And as for her one win at, what was it, Montegi? (after checking, yup; my memory is sorta still with me), really? 'Her driving or just correct strategy by the team? (Hmmmm, reminds of Rossi at Indy...)

Take a looksee at her "history" (an awesome history site, 'specially shear numbers):
http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com...hp?uniqid=2349
The link you provided suggested she ran at Road Atlanta, not Sebring.

So, her entire race history... she has won... ONE race... at any level? Yikes.

I have to wonder, does her name have enough draw, to have sponsorship for a sportscar team... as the Danica Patrick team. Really, I don't know the answer to this, though I'm sceptical.
Old 24 Aug 2016, 17:34 (Ref:3667390)   #29
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
The link you provided suggested she ran at Road Atlanta, not Sebring.

So, her entire race history... she has won... ONE race... at any level? Yikes.

I have to wonder, does her name have enough draw, to have sponsorship for a sportscar team... as the Danica Patrick team. Really, I don't know the answer to this, though I'm sceptical.
Quite correct sir, somehow I missed that in the History and have no recollection of the drive. My comment about Sebring is correct, I think it was an LMP2 car (yup). To her credit (I think) she won in karts if that counts (not to me)

Another link (thank you google...):
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/200...danica-patrick

Last edited by jimclark; 24 Aug 2016 at 17:40.

jimclark
Old 24 Aug 2016, 17:36 (Ref:3667391)   #30
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Let's just look at McDreamy. He is really popular across the board and in many countries. So, he can bring in major sponsors because of that. Over the years for sportscar racing it has been the Florida Tourism Bureau and a coffee company that ended in some sort of lawsuit but eventually confused fans because that name appeared on another Porsche he was not driving.

Can the face of Danica bring in more sponsors over McDreamy? Doubt it. Coach couldn't even bring in sponsorship. Jason Crashley couldn't either. Same for Frankie Muniz. Seems that the Letterman connection hasn't brought in any major sponsors for sportscar racing either. Newman brought in major sponsors for sportscar racing back in the 80's but then that just got transferred over to CART and then that even went away.

People get their hopes up when a big name comes into sportscar racing yet within a few years it always turns out the same. No sponsorship and their investors drop out because of it. The only PR overload we get is from the sanctioning body and whatever manufacturer car they are involved with.

Here's McDreamy at the largest car race on the planet and just look at the sponsors:

Then see where that ended up: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ment-deal.html
Old 24 Aug 2016, 23:19 (Ref:3667432)   #31
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When her perceived "value" goes down the economic laws of diminishing returns will kick in and market forces will follow their own course....part of economic natural selection. Don't know what her management/leadership skills are like, motorsports are littered with great drivers who were lousy owners,...and mediocre drivers who are excellent owners!