Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Jun 2008, 09:33 (Ref:2232484)   #1
MikeD
Rookie

Denmark
Copenhagen
MikeD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do you rate Chevrolet's chances of winning a title in the WTCC?

Hi all,

I would like to hear your opinion on Chevrolet's chances of winning a title in WTCC this year and in the future. With only 3 cars I think they will find it extremely hard to ever win the constructors title. I am a little unsure if any of their 3 current drivers are able to win a drivers' title. Maybe Menu can, but I don't rate Huff or Larini that high.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by MikeD; 19 Jun 2008 at 09:38.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 10:43 (Ref:2232519)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The 3 car team does limit their chances in the constructors - and also limits the amount of tactical use of cars during races (holding people up whilst another driver makes a break for it etc.).

As far as the drivers go - Menu is a proven winner, there's no doubting his class and he clearly has what it takes to win a title. The other two are both competent drivers but I wouldn't expect either to take a title.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 11:23 (Ref:2232538)   #3
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think RML/Chevy need to change the driver line up as its becoming like an old pair of shoes and lacks real aggesssion now.

Menu is class but has not really been able to put two strong races together in the weekend, Huff is coming good does not yet have the credentials to go all the way to the title, larini must be nearing haning up the helmet and feel he should go to make way for a new talent.

They had the chance to sign Thompson twice in the time the partnership has been running and didnt approach him, had they have done I think the chevy would have been in the frame for a title.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 11:32 (Ref:2232544)   #4
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Larini is vastly underrated these days. He just needs one win to get the ball rolling again.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 11:33 (Ref:2232545)   #5
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Next year Chevrolet will come with a new car, and I think Huff has mentioned they'll use a new car next year. That would be the new Nubira/Cobalt then, here on a spyphoto:

I don't think that Chevy will ever be a contender with only 3 cars and Huff and Larini. Menu is a proven winner, but to me it seems like Larini has lost his fire. And Huff is the big question mark for me. He seems to lack consistency, sometimes he has a brilliant race but in other occasions he's nowhere to be found. I'd give him the benefit of doubt.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2232552)   #6
THIM
Racer

Poland
THIM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely they need stronger drivers. At least one, who is both fast and tough. Rydell would be good, if they forgave him Anderstorp
Old 19 Jun 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2232634)   #7
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Indeed, Rydell really show the 3 others how that Chevy should be driven in his first (but probably also last ) drive in it.

As for Chevy needing more cars, IMO no, but we would need BMW and Seat to also have max 3-4 cars too. Attracting more manufacturers is the real answer here. That would additionally severely undermine the political leverage the 3 big manufacturers have today, which would be a welcomed change.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2232703)   #8
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they should limit manufacturers to having maybe four cars. I think that may be putting new manufacturers off, because theres already 14 competitive, manufacturer backed cars, so they'll need to do a lot of work.

as for Chevy's drivers, I think Menu's a genius, one of my heroes of touring cars, and I don't think they could find three drivers better than him. Larini's a very good driver, but not title winning stuff IMHO. i've never really rated Huff. He's good, but thats it really. I can think of a number of drivers who i'd put in that car over Huff if I was Ray Mallock.

But fortunatly for rob I'm not.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 17:56 (Ref:2232818)   #9
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they def need to link the number of cars per manufacturer - it looks visually bad and what with team orders (or good manners) it ruins the racing.
No way would I want Rydell in any team of mine - not a team player
Old 19 Jun 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2232841)   #10
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about changing Huff or Larini for Vauxhall- (GM, just as Chevy) ace Giovanardi. He clearly has what it takes to be succesful in WTCC. IMO Huff is a tad to light for WTCC, but in BTCC he should be able to fight for the championship.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 11:30 (Ref:2233374)   #11
THIM
Racer

Poland
THIM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
How about changing Huff or Larini for Vauxhall- (GM, just as Chevy) ace Giovanardi. He clearly has what it takes to be succesful in WTCC. IMO Huff is a tad to light for WTCC, but in BTCC he should be able to fight for the championship.
That's good idea, but why Gio moved to BTCC? Would he come back?
Old 20 Jun 2008, 13:17 (Ref:2233435)   #12
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Muller left Vauxhall, they needed a star-driver to fight for the title. The car wasn't that good in 2007, so they really needed a world-class driver to have a chance. Add to that the fact that they had to develop an S2000-car, so a driver with S2000-experience would fit the profile. Giovanardi fitted the profile, so no wonder Vauxhall wanted to hire him.
For Giovanardi Vauxhall was a good option to. He did not have the BTCC-title on his resumé, and now he has. Alfa where really cutting the budget. It's no wonder Farfus went to BMW. So probably they did not want to pay Giovanardi a lot, and Vauxhall offered more.
But now he has won the Britisch title, a shot at the World-title would be another challenge. When he won the series as we know it, it only was a European title.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 15:46 (Ref:2233556)   #13
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
I think Werner's right, now Gio's won the btcc, he could move back to the wtcc. But it doesn't mean he'll go to Chevy just because they're also GM.

Gio has such good reputation he could move wherever he pleases. Doubt he'd go back to BMW unless he did a test in the si and it went much better than with the i. So that means probibly SEATor Chevy. He did drive the JAS Honda a few years back though, so could he join his old team N Tech with their new project?
Old 20 Jun 2008, 16:24 (Ref:2233573)   #14
trebor901
Racer

trebor901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VXR wont let him go for another couple of years and i think he'd end his career at BTCC tbh. Cant see him now going back to the WTCC.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 18:38 (Ref:2233687)   #15
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb
I think Werner's right, now Gio's won the btcc, he could move back to the wtcc. But it doesn't mean he'll go to Chevy just because they're also GM.

Gio has such good reputation he could move wherever he pleases. Doubt he'd go back to BMW unless he did a test in the si and it went much better than with the i. So that means probibly SEATor Chevy. He did drive the JAS Honda a few years back though, so could he join his old team N Tech with their new project?
I think only when Honda will support the effort more. I think he earns a nice salary at Vauxhall, and I don't think N-teck are able to offer a similar pay yet. But hopefully they will soon, and then I see it happen.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 18:44 (Ref:2233691)   #16
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
Next year Chevrolet will come with a new car, and I think Huff has mentioned they'll use a new car next year. That would be the new Nubira/Cobalt then, here on a spyphoto:

I don't think that Chevy will ever be a contender with only 3 cars and Huff and Larini. Menu is a proven winner, but to me it seems like Larini has lost his fire. And Huff is the big question mark for me. He seems to lack consistency, sometimes he has a brilliant race but in other occasions he's nowhere to be found. I'd give him the benefit of doubt.
**** that's ugly.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 19:57 (Ref:2233726)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The team's completely failing to move forward. Now that SEAT have so many strong diesel cars, Chevvy need a big impact from the new car next year. An improved driver lineup is probably needed, maybe Thompson and Coronel to join Menu?
Old 20 Jun 2008, 20:57 (Ref:2233746)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
They need drivers who are more consistent.

BTW I like this new Nubira/Cobalt.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 19:09 (Ref:2234254)   #19
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
At least the new car looks something, ugly or not, the old one's just boring.

I think that the Chevy really lacks a strong point altogether. SEAT has the tourque of the deisel engine, BMW has the good traction of the RWD, the chevy just seems ok at everything. If they can get something on this new car thats better than the SEAT's and BMW's they can do well.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 09:28 (Ref:2234531)   #20
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

hmmm... wonder how the new Chevy would look in red white and black???

Did anyone say the Honda was ugly??
Old 22 Jun 2008, 10:48 (Ref:2234576)   #21
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hehe, indeed, they look quite similar. Though the chevy looks a bit taller, at least on that picture.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 15:13 (Ref:2234788)   #22
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Chevy indeed appears taller from those photographs, and more to the point, seems to have some sort of disease growing all over the front fascia. Oh, that's it's grille and light clusters?
Old 22 Jun 2008, 16:17 (Ref:2234854)   #23
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
Hehe, indeed, they look quite similar. Though the chevy looks a bit taller, at least on that picture.
Looks like Chevy'll be getting dispensation for having a tall car then.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 16:41 (Ref:2234867)   #24
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb
At least the new car looks something, ugly or not, the old one's just boring.

I think that the Chevy really lacks a strong point altogether. SEAT has the tourque of the deisel engine, BMW has the good traction of the RWD, the chevy just seems ok at everything. If they can get something on this new car thats better than the SEAT's and BMW's they can do well.
I actually think the current Lacetti is a very good looking car.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2234912)   #25
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
I actually think the current Lacetti is a very good looking car.
I agree

Tags
wtcc