Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 8 Oct 2002, 20:03 (Ref:398644)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"GPL Glance"

Has anyone tried this new utility for GPL yet?

See

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~hg/foru...threadid=53194

As you'll gather from my post, I didn;t work for me - but others are clearly raving about it.

Any comments from 10/10th's GPL'ers?
Old 9 Oct 2002, 20:03 (Ref:399604)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Come on - someone give it a try - bearing in mind that other GPL users seem to think its amazing, I'd like to know where I'm going wrong!
Old 9 Oct 2002, 22:10 (Ref:399761)   #3
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But what does it DOOO?? I don't get it. Anyway, I can't play GPL until Xmas anyway
Old 10 Oct 2002, 00:33 (Ref:399846)   #4
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is supposed to allow for a more immersive quality to the game. It moves the drivers line of sight with the steering and also simulates lateral g's. It's quite helpful for slow corners, allowing you to really get on the apex of a corner and also look further ahead to prep for the next. I rather like it.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 10 Oct 2002, 10:10 (Ref:400065)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
But does it work well for you ace? When I tried it, at all settings I had tremendous jitters, making it impossible to drive. I'm trying to work out how others got rid of these jitters as it seems to be a pretty neat piece of gear for GPL.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 10:17 (Ref:400075)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
Anyway, I can't play GPL until Xmas anyway
Why is this?

Just tried it myself. It looks nice, it runs smoothly, but it makes it a tad hard to drive, I guess it will take me some time to get used to. I will post back here after I've played a bit with my final judgement.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 10:19 (Ref:400076)   #7
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
If I race with a lot of opponents I get the jitters, (hell, even without GPL Glance I get the jitters ), if I reduce the number of opponents or just use it in training it's fine.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 10 Oct 2002, 10:37 (Ref:400100)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
DNQ and ace, would you mind posting the settings you're using?
Old 10 Oct 2002, 11:18 (Ref:400134)   #9
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
90 and 20, don't remember which is for which, unfortunately I am at work at the moment , give me 8hrs and I'll get back to you.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 12:29 (Ref:400212)   #10
Tristan
Veteran

What??? It "simulates lateral G" and "moves the driver's line of sight"??? So what, if you turn left you head turns slightly left?? But that's NONSENSE!! I don't understand.

Nope, I must live without GPL till Xmas because I'm now at uni with a rubbish PC that's rubbish. At 350Mhz it's unplayable. Well, not quite, but it's rubbish anyway.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 22:07 (Ref:400716)   #11
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Here's a screenie with GPL glance turned off
Attached Thumbnails
monaco.jpg  
Old 10 Oct 2002, 22:12 (Ref:400718)   #12
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Here's another with it turned on. Notice how the driver is looking into the corner.
Aysedasi I have the effect at 90% and have since increased the damping to 50%. I also have "increase program priority" clicked on. I don't know if I'll stick with these settings however, but for now they seem to work.
Attached Thumbnails
monaco2.jpg  
Old 11 Oct 2002, 18:23 (Ref:401325)   #13
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so basically pressing the "look left/right" buttons when you turn a corner...ingenius for people with a bog-standard wheel, you can program those buttons on the wheel so as to not muck up your lap pressing a button on the keyboard. it's annoying, (i've tried it) because you lose normal spacial awareness, it's hard to get used to and i dont think it makes much of a difference.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 11 Oct 2002, 22:58 (Ref:401512)   #14
Tristan
Veteran

I assume the panning to the left/right is gradual, not sudden, though, #J.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 10:36 (Ref:401907)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've given up on it - I still can't get it to work.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 17:40 (Ref:402126)   #16
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Sure with I could play the game. It's sitting here on my desk, has been for months, but unfortunately the game didn't come complete with a faster processor! It's pretty much unplayable on my Pent2.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 20:01 (Ref:402194)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Sure with I could play the game. It's sitting here on my desk, has been for months, but unfortunately the game didn't come complete with a faster processor! It's pretty much unplayable on my Pent2.
Have you actually tried it daddy? I used to run it on my old Celeron 333 - quite successfully too - my old Voodoo 3000 was a darn fine card.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 12:59 (Ref:447569)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
By the way, I've now got GPL Glance working perfectly (even online), and I don't go out of the pits without it!
Old 11 Dec 2002, 17:19 (Ref:447743)   #19
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and it only took you 2 months!!
Old 12 Dec 2002, 08:26 (Ref:448100)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
and it only took you 2 months!!
Yep! Sctually, I found the answer to that and other problems when I realised I was running GPL on XP in Win98 mode! After I dumped that, everything, including GPL Glance, has run perfectly, better than ever before.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 09:06 (Ref:448127)   #21
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Yep! Sctually, I found the answer to that and other problems when I realised I was running GPL on XP in Win98 mode! After I dumped that, everything, including GPL Glance, has run perfectly, better than ever before.
How do you check this out, and did it sort the sound problems as well?
Old 12 Dec 2002, 13:21 (Ref:448290)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Allon! So there is life after childbirth after all! Put that darned baby down and get online racing with the rest of us!

In order to check, if you right-click on properties for the GPL.exe file (you know, the one with the "trophy" icon in the GPL folder ), you will see a facility to run a program in compatibility with older Windows operating systems. Somehow I had managed to select compatibility mode with Win98. I had a lot of crashes (program as well as the cars!), and the CPU speedfix wouldn't work for me. GPLGlance was a miserable failure.

As soon as I unchecked the compatibility box, GPL ran like Michael Johnson on acid.

The sound problem I solved ages ago with the 3509 drivers. Lots and lots of people have used them to sort out most, if not all, of their XP/SB Live problems. If that's your problem Alan, I will have to dig back and find the URL I got them from. Let me know.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 14:13 (Ref:448354)   #23
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To sort out my XP/SBLive! problems I went into Audio Properties in Windows and moved the Hardware Acceleration slider down to 'Basic Acceleration Only' which seemed to cure the problem.

That's what I would suggest to do first, because if it does cure the problem it's dead easy!
Old 12 Dec 2002, 16:32 (Ref:448451)   #24
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Cheers guys, once I am back playing GPL I will check this lot out. The sound problem was only intermittent anyway.

At the moment if I do have a few spare hours and play on the computer I tend to go for something brainless, (ie GTA3). I haven't got the concentration at the moment for GPL and would only get frustrated. I'm told that most babies sleep better from about 3 months, so I guess it will be the next year before I start to get some laps in on GPL. Maybe the long awaited GPLEA Lotus will be available by then, fingers crossed.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 21:33 (Ref:448622)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun
To sort out my XP/SBLive! problems I went into Audio Properties in Windows and moved the Hardware Acceleration slider down to 'Basic Acceleration Only' which seemed to cure the problem.
I do know that reducing the hardware acceleration does alleviate the problem Spud, but have you tried the 3509 drivers? Having installed those I have my acceleration back up to max. I only get very occasional funny sound, which is so short-lived its easy to live with.

I'm pretty certain I've posted the download location before, but if anyone who is having XP/SB Live sound problems would like to give the 3509's a try, I'll be happy to locate it again.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 12 Dec 2002 at 21:34.