Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Apr 2002, 21:11 (Ref:260358)   #1
Invincible
Racer

New Zealand-Maori
Warrington
Invincible should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Unusual Vectra

Does anyone remember in 1999 in the Vauxhall Vectra Challenge that there was a Vectra driven by Mark Ticehurst that was diffrenet because it was powered by LPG, I remember it cause it reaaly gave off a smell when it was racing didn't it?

Apparently I believe if it was eligible he would have been champ and not Dave Pinkney, for some unknown the organisers wouldn't allow it to score championship points

Why wouldn't they allow the LPG Vectra to score?

And I believe it was going to be entered in the BTCC in 2000 but TOCA wouldn't allow Ticehurst to drive it because it was LPG.

Is this true?

Is it against the rules to enter a non-petrol car in the BTCC?, talking about all these diesel powered touring cars bought me memories of the smell it let off as it went round Oulton Park

Was that the reason TOCA wouldn't allow it in?

Can anyone please tell me about Mark Ticehurst's Vectra and where is it now i'd like to know?

Invincible
Old 14 Apr 2002, 21:33 (Ref:260380)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think they ever got the funds together to run the LPG Vectra in the BTCC in 2000, was it ADR who were going to run the car ?
Old 14 Apr 2002, 21:33 (Ref:260381)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I seem to remember it ran for 2 years (1998-99) although I don't think 98 was a full season.

It wasn't allowed to score points because it didn't meet championship regulation, specifically fuel but also I believe there was a difference in weight (at least initially). Remember this was a one-make series where all cars are supposed to be identical. It would have been like letting a Megane score points in the Clio Cup.

As far as entering the BTCC, that car couldn't as it wasn't SuperTouring spec. There was talk at the time of other 'alternative fuel' vehicles racing but I don't believe this was specifically in the BTCC. I believe BTCC regs do say it has to be a petrol driven car, or at least that all cars have to use the supplied fuel (which is obviously petrol). Given the arguements the LPG car provoked, even without scoring points it's hardly surprising organisers weren't falling over themselves to change the rules.

Where is it now? Good question. Probably in storage at Vauxhall.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 09:22 (Ref:260757)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
My guess would be that it was not a 'production' car as well, hence it's illegality to race in the BTCC.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 18:21 (Ref:261340)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I believe it's still in Vauxhall's posession as it turned up on a Vauxhall display stand at Silverstone last year IIRC.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 20:30 (Ref:261475)   #6
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember that car. I liked it, shame it wasn't allowed to scored points.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 14:31 (Ref:262166)   #7
Nissan
Rookie

Nissan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Vectra was used across Europe by Vauxhall in 2000 as an display car to promote LPG powered cars, last heard of in Holland.