Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 30 Nov 2011, 14:51 (Ref:2993510)   #1
MattC
Rookie

MattC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Under appreciated speed

Some cars don't get the credit they deserve. The BMW 850i is still something of an unsung hero, and as shown on Top Gear a reliable one. Which others can you think of from the past and the present that don't get their fair due?

280 ZX

Pacer X
Old 22 Feb 2012, 10:13 (Ref:3029348)   #2
MattC
Rookie

The Alfa Montreal deserves more cred, quad cam V8 and 200 hp from 2.5 litres.

Old 22 Feb 2012, 14:26 (Ref:3029458)   #3
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Daihatsu Charade GTti. It had a tiny 993 3pot dohc, with an absolutely rediculous Turbo on. It had lovely handling and utterly stupid performance. Probably one of the most fun cars I've ever driven.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 16:34 (Ref:3029510)   #4
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good topic! I have always loved the 8-series and that Alfa, which I have never heard of before, is a fantastic looking thing!

My contribution is my favorite car as a kid, the Buick Grand National:

While it is slowly gaining respect as the years go by, in its day it was not very popular. It had a turbo V6 instead of a V8 which I think was most people's hang up. In '86 & '87 it was the fastest accelerating car sold in the US. It will still hold its own with a 0-60mph time under 5 seconds. Plus it just looks terrific.

Also of modern cars, the Pontiac badged Commodore and Monaro were not well received here. I am biased because I own one but very few will know just how good those cars are. That's fine with me and I will never let mine go.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 21:20 (Ref:3030079)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One of the quickest point to point cars I have seen in action in the UK is a BMW 335d coupe.

Yes, that's d for diesel. But with a 3.0 twin turbo and around 300bhp it's one hell of a diesel monster. Real world pace on public roads is every bit as fast as an M3.
Old 11 Apr 2012, 15:36 (Ref:3057216)   #6
MattC
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Good topic! I have always loved the 8-series and that Alfa, which I have never heard of before, is a fantastic looking thing!

My contribution is my favorite car as a kid, the Buick Grand National:

While it is slowly gaining respect as the years go by, in its day it was not very popular. It had a turbo V6 instead of a V8 which I think was most people's hang up. In '86 & '87 it was the fastest accelerating car sold in the US. It will still hold its own with a 0-60mph time under 5 seconds. Plus it just looks terrific.

Also of modern cars, the Pontiac badged Commodore and Monaro were not well received here. I am biased because I own one but very few will know just how good those cars are. That's fine with me and I will never let mine go.
That GNX is beautiful, I think Car and Driver got 0-60 mph in 4.6 seconds out of theirs.

The 1972 -79 Torino related Fords had a good ride and handling balance with their then new separate chassis, had been unibody pre 1972. Anyway, drop in a warm 351, some wide wheels and tires and you have something very special.

Merc Midsize XR-7
Old 5 Sep 2012, 15:02 (Ref:3131360)   #7
MattC
Rookie

Boat tail Rivs don't get the credit they deserve. Great styling legacy from Bill Mitchell's era.

Rotaries kept the '70s interesting, blew up some and drank like a sailor on shore leave, but interesting all the same imo, lol.

RX-7 & Cosmo
Old 5 Sep 2012, 15:26 (Ref:3131378)   #8
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
If it's Q-cars you're looking for, look no further.

The Daimler Majestic Major - used by Royalty and senior Govt officials, but it held a secret. Turner-designed 4.5 litre V8 giving 220bhp. Faster to 80mph than a Jaguar MkX, tested by Motor in 1961 and did 0-60 in 9.7 secs. That was a wee bit fast for those days.

And all in "Gentlemen's Club" comfort and grandeur.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 17:35 (Ref:3147717)   #9
Jim H
Rookie

Jim H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJim H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say the MG Maestro 2.0 EFI was a very under-rated hot-hatch. My dad had one (1987 D-reg), the only brand new car he's ever bought, and loved it.

The Maestro Turbo was even quicker! Austin Rover boasted that it could out accelerate a Ferrari Mondial to 60mph.
Old 8 Oct 2012, 18:09 (Ref:3148375)   #10
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w View Post
Daihatsu Charade GTti. It had a tiny 993 3pot dohc, with an absolutely rediculous Turbo on. It had lovely handling and utterly stupid performance. Probably one of the most fun cars I've ever driven.
Some guy in Scotland used to mod them, road test in CCC years ago was very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
I would say the MG Maestro 2.0 EFI was a very under-rated hot-hatch. My dad had one (1987 D-reg), the only brand new car he's ever bought, and loved it.

The Maestro Turbo was even quicker! Austin Rover boasted that it could out accelerate a Ferrari Mondial to 60mph.
I used to service several 2.0 EFI's in between Four Ashes employments, great car & not that unreliable for a Rover, rust was a problem but I waxoyled them, my customers loved them & kept them for years.

The only Maestro Turbo that I saw was my brother in laws, he was one of the development engineers for them (and the K series 3 cylinder test project) & wouldnt have anything bad said about it.

Last edited by FastDB2s; 8 Oct 2012 at 18:18.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 07:52 (Ref:3149794)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
A mate of mine used to tow with a Maestro turbo diesel estate and claimed it was brilliant on speed and MPG and was one of the best vehicles that BL had produced for years . Mind you it didn't have to be that good to be better than some of the stuff they produced
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Apr 2013, 15:20 (Ref:3235348)   #12
MattC
Rookie

A real shame the Ro80 didn't have a decently reliable motor, because the idea was very good.

NSU Ro80

Old 1 Aug 2014, 12:49 (Ref:3440749)   #13
MattC
Rookie

Rising insurance premiums in the early '70s made people turn to cars like the Olds Rallye 350, Nova SS 350 and S/C 360 Hornet.

SC 360 Hornet

Old 2 Nov 2014, 16:25 (Ref:3470858)   #14
MattC
Rookie

Seeing Risky Business reminded me of the 928, and how much it looked like a squashed Pacer, lol

Porsche 928

Risky Business You Tube

AMC Pacer

Old 11 Nov 2014, 14:14 (Ref:3473682)   #15
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Matra Bagheera was a three-seater sportscar 20 years before McLaren, though with more conventional driver position. Unfortunately the overall build quality was below any standards.