Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 12 Feb 2011, 18:09 (Ref:2830180)   #76
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
Pure fastest paring in GT - Melo/Bruni
Even if true, a pairing you're likely never to see again.
Old 12 Feb 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2830181)   #77
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Lieb/Lietz? The Ollies?
Old 12 Feb 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2830192)   #78
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
Well no Timo Bernhard and Romain Dumas are the longest active driver pairing. They had been racing in 911's before joerg and pat go to even be factory drivers.
I know it's just a forum, but it still helps to be somewhere in the realm of reality.

First year these drivers were named Porsche Works Drivers:

2002 - Jorg Bergmeister
2002 - Timo Bernhard
2003 - Romain Dumas
2003 - Marc Lieb
2004 - Pat Long

In 2002, 2003, and 2004 Timo Bernhard was teamed with Jorg Bergmeister in ALMS. Romain Dumas and Bernhard were not regular co-drivers until 2005.
Old 12 Feb 2011, 18:47 (Ref:2830196)   #79
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This is starting to get annoying

Quote:
Audi Racer makes no sense, talking about aggressive drivers, I guess he doesn't know how AJ Foyt is or even Mario Andretti who's torn up a car or three in his time.

In terms of points racing Jorg and Long just don't BEAT themselves. When they don't have the fastest car they aim for the top podium position, period. That's how you win championships and that's anything BUT boring.

How many times has Melo thrown a race away being overtly aggressive? Many but its also won him alot of races hasn't it? - Inside "move" at Mid-Ohio, more like forcing the BMW's out of the way but he did it and won.

They had the Laguna Seca race won but kept playing bumper cars with the competition and that ruined the nose of the F430 and they had to make an extra stop to remove it and that removed frontal downforce, there is a downside to being overly aggressive, but that's why we like GT isn't it?

Its not a dog fight, its a f'in war. I don't think a Sprint Cup driver would last a season without getting fined or DQ'ed for over-aggressive driving because they don't know where the limit is. IMSA rules with a iron fist and you know where the line is...

But the racing is fan f**king static...
How can i make no sense talking about aggresive drivers. What does that even mean. I made a point that Joerg and Long are not the most aggresive pair in the GT field. What you point...That they are... No that flatout wrong Don't hurt yourself jumping to conclusions

Quote:
You didnt even make a good statement here. Melo and Bruni are not the fastest they happen to be the most aggressive. Did you ever not that the Ferrari f430 was the fastest GT2. It's the car that did that.

And don't guess what i do and don't know.

I know EVERYTHING lol
Old 12 Feb 2011, 18:48 (Ref:2830197)   #80
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK View Post
I know it's just a forum, but it still helps to be somewhere in the realm of reality.

First year these drivers were named Porsche Works Drivers:

2002 - Jorg Bergmeister
2002 - Timo Bernhard
2003 - Romain Dumas
2003 - Marc Lieb
2004 - Pat Long

In 2002, 2003, and 2004 Timo Bernhard was teamed with Jorg Bergmeister in ALMS. Romain Dumas and Bernhard were not regular co-drivers until 2005.

But their still the longest pairing.
Old 12 Feb 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2830199)   #81
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
i think he was responding to your statment "They had been racing in 911's before joerg and pat go to even be factory drivers"

witch he proved not to be true
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 12 Feb 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2830202)   #82
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

How can i make no sense talking about aggresive drivers. What does that even mean. I made a point that Joerg and Long are not the most aggresive pair in the GT field. What you point...That they are... No that flatout wrong Don't hurt yourself jumping to conclusions
Is the most aggressive important? I thought intelligence, speed and winning are? I mean this is a ridiculous conversation.

Quote:
You didnt even make a good statement here. Melo and Bruni are not the fastest they happen to be the most aggressive. Did you ever not that the Ferrari f430 was the fastest GT2. It's the car that did that.
So, what is your formula for handicapping drivers, depending on the car they are driving?
Old 12 Feb 2011, 19:12 (Ref:2830207)   #83
TWK
Veteran

Quote:
How so? They were first paired in 2005...as were Long and Bergmeister.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2830738)   #84
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Even if true, a pairing you're likely never to see again.
Looks like ALMS will be Melo/Vilander show in the ALMS for Risi. Still fast, very fast you forget Toni's pole at Mid Ohio a track he never raced at? He was victim of Fishi's over-aggressive driving (Ed Brown), just as a very quick Vilander was given a Stop-Go at Utah for nudging David Murray out of the way...
Old 13 Feb 2011, 21:12 (Ref:2830742)   #85
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Lieb/Lietz? The Ollies?
Are you talking results or pole/fastest laps?

If your talking about race victories, Melo/Bruni have won more races than both Ollies especially when you look at Bruni's domination of FIA GT2 and several wins with Melo in FIA GT and LMS competition.

I am talking GT2 here... Melo has (1) ALMS Driver's title, Bruni has two FIA GT2 titles and two LMS GT2 titles.

Together they have either started on pole or the front row of every race, I have to check that but I'm fairly sure I'm 98% right.

To be fair both Ollies haven't raced that much in Europe (or GT2 for that matter) but that still doesn't diminish my point that based on PURE lap times, its Melo and Bruni, PERIOD.

Lieb and Lietz... Lietz has only been a factor for a short time, when was he named Porsche factory driver? I think 2007, replacing Jorg? Lieb has had limited action in America and let's be honest, Flying Lizard only won Sebring 2008 because Melo crashed out while LEADING.

Some of you just don't (a) like Ferrari or (b) like Melo, Salo or Bruni for some reason.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 21:20 (Ref:2830746)   #86
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:

And don't guess what i do and don't know.

I know EVERYTHING lol
Stop calling me a know it all, I don't know it all. I've been only watching every single race in the ALMS since 1999.

I never said the F430 wasn't an effective tool, but then you would be saying Porsche drivers are better for carrying a car that's not quite as good???

See Richard Westbrook

They are the fastest, goto the ALMS page and look how many times Long and Jorg have been on pole and look how many times either Melo or Bruni have been on pole.

They are aggressive and fast, two things you want in a driver. I wouldn't call Long or Jorg passive that's a fable. Smarter maybe? Possibly.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2830748)   #87
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Oh I should mention, who was on top of Martin Berkmen's wish list for drivers for his then brand new BMW M3 GT2? - Jamie Melo.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2830751)   #88
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Some of you just don't (a) like Ferrari or (b) like Melo, Salo or Bruni for some reason.
Not everyone is a fan of Ferrari, and that's the reality of it. There are 6 brands in GT2/GTE nowadays, sympathies are generally divided between them. The end. The Porsche vs. Ferrari argument, to quote James May from Top Gear, "has been going on for 40 years, it will go on for another 40, the correct place is in the pub".

In any case, back (sort of) on topic, 5 weeks to go. Really hoping the new 908 is sorted out enough to trounce the Audis.

Last edited by Victor_RO; 13 Feb 2011 at 21:37.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 21:42 (Ref:2830754)   #89
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Not everyone is a fan of Ferrari, and that's the reality of it. There are 6 brands in GT2/GTE nowadays, sympathies are generally divided between them. The end. The Porsche vs. Ferrari argument, to quote James May from Top Gear, "has been going on for 40 years, it will go on for another 40, the correct place is in the pub".

In any case, back (sort of) on topic, 5 weeks to go. Really hoping the new 908 is sorted out enough to trounce the Audis.
I happen to be a Ferrari supporter but not at the expense (totally) of Porsche fans.

40 years? The Battle between Ford and Chevy goes back about 60 years and counting...
Old 13 Feb 2011, 22:05 (Ref:2830764)   #90
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
because Melo crashed out
Far too common occurrence for Melo to be considered the best tbh.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 23:27 (Ref:2830783)   #91
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
Far too common occurrence for Melo to be considered the best tbh.
actualy not that common, and half the time it wasn't his fault, not that he didn't make some major srewups. but I've noticed incidents involving Melo seem to get exagureted way to much, , and usualy by fans of the other make in the incident.

Melo/Bruni are only one of the many butaly fast gt2 pairings, Richard Westbrook and Colard come to mind from fia gt2, they were fast and agressive as they come from the porsche side. Also Lieb/Ortelli form the Freisinger Motorsport now that was a brutal gt pair and a brutal team.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 01:04 (Ref:2830814)   #92
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 laps onboard with Sean Edwards in the NGT Motorsport GTC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnEB2Myo4ks
Old 14 Feb 2011, 22:11 (Ref:2831256)   #93
TWK
Veteran

I expect that Risi Competizione will employ Melo and Vilander as their regular drivers throughout the 2011 ALMS season. If there is a third driver for the two long enduros (and I am not certain there will be), he will NOT be named Kaffer, Kellaners, or Bruni.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 22:26 (Ref:2831269)   #94
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I expect that Risi Competizione will employ Melo and Vilander as their regular drivers throughout the 2011 ALMS season. If there is a third driver for the two long enduros (and I am not certain there will be), he will NOT be named Kaffer, Kellaners, or Bruni.
Is that because of prior engagements, or a falling out?
Old 14 Feb 2011, 23:40 (Ref:2831306)   #95
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Is that because of prior engagements, or a falling out?
Well you see. Jaime Melo is a Fernando Alonso. They have a demanding status quo. They think they are above everyone other driver in the camp.

its funny how all latin drivers just have really feisty attitudes some drivers i can name off the top of my head. Montoya is no doubt the one you wanna stay away from on the track. Man Montoya hipchecked every car in the daytona 24 hour field. Yes i said hip check. . Melo and Alonso are guys you wanna stay away from off the track in the pitlane and paddock.

Jaime melo
Fernando Alonso
Juan Pablo Montoya
Old 14 Feb 2011, 23:42 (Ref:2831307)   #96
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
You know i think it would be pretty interesting and funny to see jaime Melo and Fernando Alonso forced to share a F458 for the ALMS season though that will never happen. Let them realize the world does not revolve around themselves.

You know it would be even more interesting if they ran in separate team cars. Who would get the order to move over for the other in the last race of the season. Who would even move other without a little bump from the other guy for that matter. lol
Old 14 Feb 2011, 23:53 (Ref:2831315)   #97
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Melo and Alonso are guys you wanna stay away from off the track in the pitlane and paddock.
I got news for you, Hamilton or Schumacher would have your ass in a ditch much sooner than Melo, Alonso or Montoya and neither of them is Latin.

DK
Old 15 Feb 2011, 00:25 (Ref:2831325)   #98
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is Mr Bruni our man on ice? Kaffer has found his footing in an AF Corse Lola, and I assume in GT Open again. No free space alongside Mr Fisichella in the LMS?

Who is to replace Rick Mayer at Risi? Is Beaky going to wear several hats?

So many questions you leave us with, TWK and furry avatar...
Old 15 Feb 2011, 01:08 (Ref:2831335)   #99
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
I got news for you, Hamilton or Schumacher would have your ass in a ditch much sooner than Melo, Alonso or Montoya and neither of them is Latin.

DK
man that was a good one dxK1. i have been laughing for the past 10 minutes. It was the bluntness of that comment that made it really funny.