Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Dec 2014, 06:47 (Ref:3481716)   #1
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
2015 Australian GT Championship

Well with news of new cars and the schedule being released it's time for a new thread for 2015.

Calender

2015 Australian GT Championship presented by Pirelli

RdLocation

1Clipsal 500, Adelaide, South Australia
February 26-1st March

2Phillip Island, Victoria
May 22-24

3Townsville, Queensland
July 10-12

4Sydney Motorsport Park, NSW
August 21-23

5Sandown, Melbourne, Victoria
September 11-13

6Highlands Motorsport Park, NZ
**date unknown at this stage

The first new cars have been announced for 2015 with Tony and Klark Quinn switching to the McLaren 650S GT3 for 2015. Tonys car being completely new whilst Klarks car is this years McLaren MP4-12C GT3 converted to 650S spec.

Last edited by rich07; 4 Dec 2014 at 07:00.
Old 4 Dec 2014, 06:53 (Ref:3481718)   #2
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McLaren 650S GT3s to join Australian GT grid

Australian GT Championship organisers are confident of capacity grids next season as a number of new cars join the fray Read More
Old 4 Dec 2014, 06:55 (Ref:3481719)   #3
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Has Scud said anything yet about possible Australian GT involvement next year?
Old 4 Dec 2014, 07:17 (Ref:3481725)   #4
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Has Scud said anything yet about possible Australian GT involvement next year?
He might have to because Dave Russell was very impressive in Scud's Porsche
Old 4 Dec 2014, 21:52 (Ref:3481976)   #5
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The AGT guys do a good job on the management front. They had a (almost) complete calender released in August. That's an enormous effort as anyone who's ever had to do that will tell you.
Old 4 Dec 2014, 23:58 (Ref:3482012)   #6
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see this Championship gather some momentum. Looking to travel to one round this year and incorporate a few days off with the family, will just depend on my racing and DSO commitments.

Probably going to come down to either Townsville or NZ. For those that have been to the Highlands 101, was it worth the trip?
Old 5 Dec 2014, 05:37 (Ref:3482089)   #7
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR View Post
For those that have been to the Highlands 101, was it worth the trip?
TCR, I had an absolute ball. I far prefer a circuit circuit to a street circuit, so i would do Highlands again any day over Townsville, even though Townsville has a park aspect to it. Can I refer you to my post in the NZ section here, down towards the bottom of the page:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=137165&page=4

The 7 days spent holidaying in the South was marvellous, and then 2 days of motorsport (though the supports weren't that great). I want to go back next year - but I also want to Le Mans, Abu Dhabi ... so we'll see.
Old 5 Dec 2014, 06:13 (Ref:3482094)   #8
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NZ would definitely be my pick but timing is a little tricky because my wife's a teacher and it's always been held in November.

I'd be happy enough to take me father across with me, but I'd probably come home to my bags on the front lawn
Old 5 Dec 2014, 06:35 (Ref:3482099)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Story Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Dec 2014, 08:39 (Ref:3482130)   #10
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
considering the 12hr has nothing to do with the Aus GT championship wonder how they think they'll get both?
Old 5 Dec 2014, 08:41 (Ref:3482131)   #11
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Noooo!!!!

TQ's a businessman so I'm sure he'll won't sell out for anything less then something really good. I'm hoping he won't though
Old 5 Dec 2014, 11:03 (Ref:3482175)   #12
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first reaction is NOOOOO!!
I'm trying to work out if there is an upside to this, but until it happens and we know what changes are made I can't think of any other than hopefully better TV for AGT, and it needs to be significantly better than the way V8SC TV has treated AGT when they have been a support event previously.

Too many inaccuracies in the article for it to be really serious, but Speedcafe are running it as well.
Old 5 Dec 2014, 21:14 (Ref:3482324)   #13
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
That story smells like yesterdays fish wrapper. As Mikey said, full of inaccuracies and it's timing is very interesting.
Old 5 Dec 2014, 23:48 (Ref:3482364)   #14
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Speedcafe are running the story also.

As AusGT have nothing to do with the Bathurst 12 Hours they will only control the race by:

Blocking it.

And would you put it past them ?

No way.

Are there upsides - most certainly - exposure - more races - sponsorship opportunities.

Are there downsides - I can't help but think that V8SC are hell bent on destroying the B12HR.. There is no way this announcement is good for B12HR should Tony Quinn sell out.
Old 6 Dec 2014, 21:07 (Ref:3482596)   #15
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
TQ has no ownership of the B12H, that's James Obriens Yeehaa organisation. And as TQ has been out of the country on holidays, I would say that this is a rather grubby attempt by a media organisation that has no idea about motorsport to grab a headline. Unfortunately, I'd say they've been played.
Old 10 Dec 2014, 04:33 (Ref:3483631)   #16
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Erebus confirm at least one SLS for next year with Max Twigg and Geoff Emery sharing one car. They're hoping to run both cars but Richard Muscat is not expected to return.

http://m.speedcafe.com/2014/12/10/er...river-pairing/
Old 10 Dec 2014, 06:12 (Ref:3483650)   #17
scudd
Racer

scudd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Richard Muscat is not expected to return.

http://m.speedcafe.com/2014/12/10/er...river-pairing/
I think he is running in Carrera cup.
Old 10 Dec 2014, 18:19 (Ref:3483780)   #18
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudd View Post
I think he is running in Carrera cup.

With BRM I see it's been announced.

Any Carrera Cup outings for you or Dave Russell next year?
Old 10 Dec 2014, 21:55 (Ref:3483833)   #19
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
With BRM I see it's been announced.

Any Carrera Cup outings for you or Dave Russell next year?
Or even better - Australian GT rounds?
Old 11 Dec 2014, 00:51 (Ref:3483880)   #20
scudd
Racer

Probably do most cup car rounds, and maybe PI 101 in GT.

Dave Russell like other drivers are trying to get a seat.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 01:05 (Ref:3483887)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spa again in 2015?
Old 11 Dec 2014, 07:19 (Ref:3483975)   #22
scudd
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Spa again in 2015?
No budget to do Spa next year mate. Would like to do Sepang again next year, but the guy who helped run it for the last 2 years was/has moved on/left, so it may not be as well run?

You really need a newish car for something like Spa, to give you the best chance of finishing and doing well. Maybe 2016 is possible for me, but would need a newer car. My lambo is now 3 years old, had a pretty hard life compared to my previous cup cars and little things that shouldn't go wrong occasionally do. That's ok in sprint races or local aussie events, but for the time and effort to go overseas, everything has to be spot on. Though just to be clear, anything that has needed to be fixed/changed/upgraded on my lambo has happened. People who know me know I don't skimp on maintenance.

I've got enough going on for next year to get through first anyway.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 07:35 (Ref:3483982)   #23
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Spa again in 2015?

You read my mind- I was just thinking of this very question this afternoon at work .

Can't wait to see the black Lambo at Bathurst
Old 13 Dec 2014, 02:46 (Ref:3484572)   #24
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Lester to do the full Aust GT season in the Trass Ferrari.

New Zealand's newest motor racing team, Trass Family Motorsport (TFM), are heading to Australia early next year to take on some of the best endurance racers in the Bathurst 12 Hour race.

The young team debuted their new Ferrari 458 GT3 at the Highlands Park 101 at the beginning of November in the hands of Jono Lester, Gerald Trass and Graeme Smyth.

Despite being hampered by driver and mechanical issues (crash and wheel lockup), the car showed good pace.

There will be a driver change for the Bathurst event - multiple NZV8 and NZ SuperTourer champion John McIntyre will join Lester and Smyth in the first Class A attempt for outright victory by a New Zealand team.

Having McIntyre on board will be a bonus for the fledgling team, as the long-time V8 racer has raced on the mountain numerous times as a co-driver in the Bathurst 1000 V8 Supercars showpiece.

"I'm excited at our opportunity because we have a very strong driver line-up," said McIntyre.

"We've got a really good car, and the great thing about this FIA category is that we've got the same opportunity as AF Corsa in the way of our equipment.

"It'll be putting the mix together, it'll be dealing with traffic, because that's the big difference between that and the V8 [Supercars] races - the differences in speed."

TFM will also be bolstered in their attempt to get on the podium by technical help and support from defending Bathurst 12 Hour Champions Maranello Motorsport. McIntyre and Maranello will be crucial for Bathurst rookies Lester and Smyth.

Lead driver Lester joined the team after two successful seasons of GT3 racing in Japan. He held his own at the New Zealand round of the Australian GT championship at Highlands Par.

"Bathurst commands respect but is also an opportunity for us to challenge with even more authority now that the drivers and crew are getting their head around the car and what makes it tick," said Lester. "Our cautious ambition is a top 10 and to win the Pro-Am class."

Although Lester and McIntyre are the better-known drivers, 23-year-old Symth also has some pedigree, being the reigning New Zealand KZ2 shifter kart champion.

He has also been the GT3 development driver with TFM and showed he was comfortable in the car, being on the pace at Highlands Park.

"I've been racing karts full time and cars on-and-off, but never thought anything like this would ever happen," said Smyth.

"Obviously there's going to be a lot of professional drivers from Europe. I don't know what to expect going into it - I'm sort of approaching it like it's another track.

"You can't go into it being scared of the place, or you won't do any good. But I'm not going to go out in the first practice session and try to break a track record."

Lester has confirmed he will be contesting a full Australian GT championship next year. His driving partner has not been announced.

• For more motorsport news go to nzherald.co.nz/driven

It's good news for the 25-year-old Aucklander who had a lean 2014 after two great seasons racing the Mercedes AMG GT3 car in the Japanese endurance championship. Hard work, talent and perseverance have combined to seal the deal to race the TFM Ferrari.

"I had my first taste of Australian GT at the Highlands 101 and proved we are a race and championship contender, so to follow on from Bathurst with a full 2015 campaign across the ditch is fantastic.

"The series already expects more than 32 cars and has grown from strength to strength in recent years. It's a viable platform for me to leapfrog back to Asia or Europe down the track if we can get the results with Trass Family Motorsport."

Last edited by Reload; 13 Dec 2014 at 02:55.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 03:41 (Ref:3484586)   #25
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
That's great news to have a Ferrari confirmed for the whole season and one from NZ no doubt.

Be interesting to see if Maranello Motorsport run a 458 this season or focus on Pete Edwards Bentley.