Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Jul 2018, 10:24 (Ref:3838265)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cheese Wayne.... The Movie

Story Here

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 23 Jul 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3838284)   #2
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool............
Old 23 Jul 2018, 20:17 (Ref:3838363)   #3
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wonder how many will show up and watch it
Old 23 Jul 2018, 22:57 (Ref:3838389)   #4
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be interesting to see the split between Wayne's 2 and 4 wheel racing exploits.

From the preview, it looks like it might predominantly be focused on the motorcycling chapter?
Old 24 Jul 2018, 03:22 (Ref:3838415)   #5
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope it gets a general release so we can see it in states other than Vic
Old 24 Jul 2018, 07:21 (Ref:3838431)   #6
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it doesn’t do or survive the cinema circuit, it is normally out on DVD within three months.

Captain Chaos is back!
Old 29 Jul 2018, 09:17 (Ref:3839799)   #7
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So it's a doco, not a "drama" like that pathetic excuse of a mini-series that was Brock?
Old 29 Jul 2018, 20:37 (Ref:3840037)   #8
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People who know the man are not fans of him, they think it is good he lives overseas - seems he has burnt a few here with his ego
Old 29 Jul 2018, 22:02 (Ref:3840066)   #9
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, I can't see myself watching it.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 01:54 (Ref:3840256)   #10
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
People who know the man are not fans of him, they think it is good he lives overseas - seems he has burnt a few here with his ego
Funny, he has a huge fan base OS especially Japan so he might not be too worried. I think the biggest problem here was his desire to win was bigger than the local drivers were used to. They operated at a level lower than he did as it was more comfortable for them, a bit like an old boys club could be a good way to put it. To them WG was a loose cannon who upset the agenda that they had been working on for years. Walkinshaw did the same but he had the backing and know how to win at the same time. I can recall very clearly the night before the Bathurst race when Walkinshaw ran the Jags, a table of people in a restaurant tried to convince me the locals were going to wipe the floor with him and I couldn't stop laughing long enough to convince them otherwise.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 06:00 (Ref:3840265)   #11
Forda
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Funny, he has a huge fan base OS especially Japan so he might not be too worried. I think the biggest problem here was his desire to win was bigger than the local drivers were used to. They operated at a level lower than he did as it was more comfortable for them, a bit like an old boys club could be a good way to put it. To them WG was a loose cannon who upset the agenda that they had been working on for years. Walkinshaw did the same but he had the backing and know how to win at the same time. I can recall very clearly the night before the Bathurst race when Walkinshaw ran the Jags, a table of people in a restaurant tried to convince me the locals were going to wipe the floor with him and I couldn't stop laughing long enough to convince them otherwise.
Recall WG himself describing the local series as "a bit of an old boys club", back in the 90's.

Not sure that necessarily meant his desire to win was greater than his then-competitors though - the results certainly didn't reflect that during that 90's era.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 06:37 (Ref:3840267)   #12
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Were his V8 results really that bad in the whole scheme of things?

Two Bathurst podiums in his first four starts

Won a PJ Dash and the second AGP support race in his first season driving for an at the time pretty awful HRT setup

Then has a crack with his own team

He is remembered unfairly for his V8 career, at the same time he was racing for Toyota in Japanese GT (now SuperGT) and winning races there.

Gardner single-handedly put world motorcycle racing on the map here in Australia, and overseas is revered for his bravery on a 500cc two-stroke. I'll certainly be watching this doco with great interest
Old 31 Jul 2018, 11:11 (Ref:3840305)   #13
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is an Australian Legend no matter what !
Be it car racing or bikes.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 11:14 (Ref:3840309)   #14
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I’m in.

Maybe not as talented as Mick Doohan, but surely a more interesting character.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 21:46 (Ref:3840490)   #15
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At the time, it would be fair to say, that he had the best presented team.

The back story of just the V8 team would be fascinating, I'm sure.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 05:34 (Ref:3841524)   #16
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Gardner single-handedly put world motorcycle racing on the map here in Australia, ,,,,
That's a big statement...a few went before who had some success as well...

Wayne? can we see a doco on Mr Rainey too sometime?
Old 5 Aug 2018, 10:38 (Ref:3841567)   #17
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Certainly, but it was Wayne's successes that convinced SBS to pick up the rights to the 500cc World Championship, and Gardner's 1987 Championship win that convinced Ch9 to takeover the rights (and Barry Sheene) which gave the series a much bigger platform in this country. Couple that with Gardner's title win being an instrumental piece in getting Australia and Phillip Island a round of the world championship, and Gardner's inaugural win there, at a time when any Australian sporting success on the world stage was huge news

Quote:
can we see a doco on Mr Rainey too sometime?
Would absolutely love to see that too
Old 5 Aug 2018, 13:11 (Ref:3841588)   #18
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Wayne? can we see a doco on Mr Rainey too sometime?
One of which I know personally and none of them had the exposure of Gardner perhaps because Honda had become aware of how to promote racing. In fact the other Australian world champion for Honda pre dating Gardner would as a rule be totally unknown here.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 14:39 (Ref:3841608)   #19
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
In fact the other Australian world champion for Honda pre dating Gardner would as a rule be totally unknown here.
Tom Phillis?
Old 5 Aug 2018, 22:14 (Ref:3841736)   #20
Forda
Veteran

"It's a love story" - some insight on the film from the director, and from Wayne:

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/ent...03-p4zvd8.html

Focus appears to be on Motorcycle racing, if Wayne's words are to mean anything:
Quote:
Gardner knows the feeling, of course. He still rides – four years ago, he established a legends circuit, and he is confident it is on the brink of going global – and after retiring from the GP circuit in 1992 he had a reasonably successful stint in car racing.
"That was good, but it wasn't fulfilling the same thrill as racing a motorcycle at warp three," he says. "Racing cars was fun but it isn't that ultimate challenge of playing with your life, so it never quite filled the gap. But it was a good distraction."
Old 6 Aug 2018, 00:15 (Ref:3841754)   #21
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Good post! Took the spotlight off a lot of wannabees and never wouldbees.
Old 6 Aug 2018, 03:26 (Ref:3841763)   #22
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i read a piece by Craig Lowndes (likely ghost-written, but...!) and he was recalling how Gardner told him he'd never be a champion or amount to anything.

Gardner won only one race in his V8 time, of course
Old 6 Aug 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3841809)   #23
Forda
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
i read a piece by Craig Lowndes (likely ghost-written, but...!) and he was recalling how Gardner told him he'd never be a champion or amount to anything.

Interesting post!

Not quite sure how a divorce could ever be be a "love story"?
Old 6 Aug 2018, 10:50 (Ref:3841812)   #24
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post

A lot of short memories here. Lowndes went OS and for want of a better phrase couldn't hack it so in a sense he did not achieve to anywhere near his potential. Gardner went and became world champion.
Old 6 Aug 2018, 10:59 (Ref:3841816)   #25
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Focus appears to be on Motorcycle racing, if Wayne's words are to mean anything:
Given the fact his four-wheeled exploits likely will have little interest to the European audiences, and it was a bit-part at the end of an International career, that likely explains why there won't be much attention paid to it. This is a bike story, not a car one

Graeme Crosby is someone who downplays his car racing career too, it barely rates a mention in his autobiography despite him taking to it like a duck to water, made the Bathurst Top 10 at his first attempt amongst other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!

Gardner probably said that after Lowndes punted Gardner off in a straightline at the Bathurst ATCC round in 1996. Gardner and plenty of others (even HRT from memory) were very critical of Lowndes driving there, he obviously learned from it. (Johnson criticised Lowndes driving at Sandown a round earlier as well)

Lowndes obviously took the criticism on board and learnt from it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda
Not quite sure how a divorce could ever be be a "love story"?
The divorce happened after the bike career was over, and they are still friendly (Donna wrote the forward for Wayne's book)

The travelled the world together as Gardner chased success, and they achieved it together. I'd call that a love story.