Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Jan 2019, 09:30 (Ref:3878140)   #426
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
This was the figure quoted on our local news last night. I don't think I got it wrong but you never know.........

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I read the same figure, was surprised that no one had queried it at the time.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 09:34 (Ref:3878143)   #427
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
I suspect his reasons for not bothering with the EU market is the draconian rules being imposed by the Commission which restrict the power of many appliances, under 'save energy, save the planet' auspices. He's had a running battle with the EU over energy labelling for more than 4 years and although he finally won the latest round at the ECJ I think he's likely fed up with the lot of them, like so many of us.
Similarly Mr JCB, you have to wonder if his dislike of the EU is connected to the fine they received for restrictive distribution practices!
Old 24 Jan 2019, 11:21 (Ref:3878177)   #428
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
So knighted British entrepreneur, inventor, and brexit supporter Dyson is now moving his company HQ to Singapore. We’re told it’s nothing to with us leaving the EU, and makes sense with his manufacturing already based there. Plus his forthcoming electric car will be built there also.

But still seems a bit of a snub to me......
If his cars are owt like his vacum cleaners, best place for em, the most expensive piece of junk ever owned.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 16:28 (Ref:3878267)   #429
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with 261brm on this. The Dyson upright vacuum I bought was a never-ending story of useless poor design, constantly suffering blockages, poor materials and many, many other things to criticise. If he really made 5000 prototypes that must have been to develop it from being unsaleable into a plausible con trick.
Nick
Old 24 Jan 2019, 16:50 (Ref:3878278)   #430
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
If he really made 5000 prototypes that must have been to develop it from being unsaleable into a plausible con trick.
At the end he found some clients, Nick…
Old 24 Jan 2019, 18:47 (Ref:3878312)   #431
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
I agree with 261brm on this. The Dyson upright vacuum I bought was a never-ending story of useless poor design, constantly suffering blockages, poor materials and many, many other things to criticise. If he really made 5000 prototypes that must have been to develop it from being unsaleable into a plausible con trick.
Nick
You may not be the only one. Henry vacuum cleaners are expanding according to our local news. Creating 300 jobs in Somerset, and they want planning permission for a factory that would allow them to up production by 30%.

Old 24 Jan 2019, 18:54 (Ref:3878315)   #432
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Despite Brexit.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 18:56 (Ref:3878317)   #433
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suspect that Dyson is more than just the Vacuum business. If the company has invested those millions in UK based facilities I doubt it's just for Vacuum cleaners.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 19:11 (Ref:3878321)   #434
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I suspect that Dyson is more than just the Vacuum business. If the company has invested those millions in UK based facilities I doubt it's just for Vacuum cleaners.
I’m sure the hand drier business is pretty big nowadays, and of course his major project at the moment is to develop and bring to market an ‘affordable’ electric car....
Old 24 Jan 2019, 19:25 (Ref:3878330)   #435
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
....which is expected to have a big market in the Far East.

Old 24 Jan 2019, 19:31 (Ref:3878334)   #436
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I’m sure the hand drier business is pretty big nowadays, and of course his major project at the moment is to develop and bring to market an ‘affordable’ electric car....
Why has an image if (Sir) Clive Sinclair just shot into my head?
That one didn't turn out as expected did it?
Old 24 Jan 2019, 19:34 (Ref:3878335)   #437
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Why has an image if (Sir) Clive Sinclair just shot into my head?
That one didn't turn out as expected did it?
Let’s hope tech has moved on since then!

Collectors items now, though, I’m told.....
Old 24 Jan 2019, 19:36 (Ref:3878336)   #438
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I didn't realise the ballbarrow was his.

He's a brilliant man who deserves his success. I just hope he doesn't screw us on his way out.

What do you carry jn a ballbarrow, exactly?
Old 24 Jan 2019, 19:45 (Ref:3878340)   #439
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
What do you carry jn a ballbarrow, exactly?
Well, I've never carried wheels in a wheelbarrow Baub, so I'm not sure what you're getting at...
Old 24 Jan 2019, 19:54 (Ref:3878347)   #440
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
This one is good but works only in English, Johnny!
Old 24 Jan 2019, 20:13 (Ref:3878357)   #441
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Doh! Doesn't matter where you make things. Didn't we learn this with motor cycles?
Old 24 Jan 2019, 20:22 (Ref:3878363)   #442
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Doh! Doesn't matter where you make things. Didn't we learn this with motor cycles?

This is true.

Most of the products with which Dyson competes, no matter which country the brand name is associated with, are manufactured in Asia or are put together in the "west" from components manufactured in Asia - mostly China.

This, I was told, is especially the case for the lower cost end of the market.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 03:54 (Ref:3878441)   #443
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Dyson Vacuums are very expensive, yes? When buying one you support your industry even if the production is not really made in UK. If you think the design is poor and brings frustration to the end user, you won't recommend it and won't buy another one. In those circumstances is it reasonable to wait for an affordable EV coming from a company selling a Vacuum at the price of a scooter? Both produced in China? I guess you'll tell me "different purpose"…
Old 25 Jan 2019, 07:56 (Ref:3878454)   #444
midgetman
Veteran

Airbus have been making the news round here. Quite a few local jobs depend on them, and the boss was pretty forthright in ensuring people get his message.

One side says it's part of "Project Fear," others say "no he means it." Only time will tell. Suffice to say if I ran a business that relied on transporting great big pieces of engineering back and forth across borders, I'd be scratching my head as to costs and logistics.

With just sixty or so days to go, it would be pretty helpful to know what regime you're working under and how long it will take for the transfer. No wonder he's frustrated.

Old 25 Jan 2019, 08:02 (Ref:3878458)   #445
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I understand this but as stated by Peter before how could an Airbus fly without any wing? We call that either Eurostar or TGV.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 08:26 (Ref:3878465)   #446
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
This is true.

Most of the products with which Dyson competes, no matter which country the brand name is associated with, are manufactured in Asia or are put together in the "west" from components manufactured in Asia - mostly China.

This, I was told, is especially the case for the lower cost end of the market.
Basically the same as the UK car industry then.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 08:46 (Ref:3878469)   #447
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Airbus have been making the news round here. Quite a few local jobs depend on them, and the boss was pretty forthright in ensuring people get his message.

One side says it's part of "Project Fear," others say "no he means it." Only time will tell. Suffice to say if I ran a business that relied on transporting great big pieces of engineering back and forth across borders, I'd be scratching my head as to costs and logistics.

With just sixty or so days to go, it would be pretty helpful to know what regime you're working under and how long it will take for the transfer. No wonder he's frustrated.

Max they mostly don't go by road! Only the A380 wings go by road, barge and ship, and they're only building 8 per year of them, The smaller ones are flown straight to Toulouse in the Beluga special aircraft.
Project Fear at work again.....
Old 25 Jan 2019, 09:19 (Ref:3878475)   #448
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
‘Project fear’ seems to have made some headlines, if nothing else!

Going back to Dyson, we keep mentioning China as their manufacturing base, but I think it’s Singapore and Malaysia, as well as China. Appears it’s a joint venture with a Far East company, and all the media blurb has named Singapore as the location of the future EV factory. I guess that’s why the HQ is moving there.

Not that any of that matters to me, as a devoted Henry owner!
Old 25 Jan 2019, 09:29 (Ref:3878479)   #449
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
If his cars are owt like his vacum cleaners, best place for em, the most expensive piece of junk ever owned.
They seem to be a good example of British technology - good/innovative design ideas but poorly executed.
The hand dryer that just drips water over the floor/shoes, fiddly catches/switches on vacuums etc.
When other companies copy the ideas they are usually much better on the details.
Met one of his ex-designers at Silverstone one year and he had a lot to say about things like the fans which were designed to be silent but changes in the production version meant they weren't.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 09:30 (Ref:3878480)   #450
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thanks to this forum, I know what Vacuum I shouldn't go for. When you say Henry, do you mean Numatic the D2-R2 style?