Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Oct 2002, 17:13 (Ref:414810)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Williams :- success ballast a last resort

from www.autosport.com

Team boss Frank Williams has stated that he'll accept the use of success ballast in Formula 1, but only as a last resort and if it can be shown to be in the best interest of the sport.

Success ballast is one of those up for discussion. It has been suggested following Ferrari's steamrollering of the 2002 champion – it scored exactly half of all the points on offer. Williams agrees that the sport needs to provide the spectacle of racing at the head of the field, but is wary of a knee-jerk reaction.

"Max and Bernie are harrying the teams like a pack of hounds terrorising a flock of sheep, he told The Sun. "I just hope there will be plenty of clear thinking. As a last resort I would agree to the adding of ballast for success but only if it was demonstrated this was the only element which would save Formula 1."

Last edited by Mr V; 27 Oct 2002 at 17:14.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 17:46 (Ref:414828)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
might as well be a touring car championship then !

Frank and Patrick know their stuff.......last resort only !
Old 27 Oct 2002, 18:43 (Ref:414862)   #3
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams already uses weight ballasts - their drivers.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 10:32 (Ref:415322)   #4
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Williams are trying to get BMW into a corner. No self-respecting big player (like BMW) would prefer a handicapped formula - they want to win on merit, just like Mercedes and Ferrari. By spinning the situation a little (with this hint by Patrick Head) Williams are asserting their authority as a team over BMW (just a supplier) and pushing them that little bit harder into making a bigger investment. BMW can't have their say in the future of F1 unless they put more into it.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 11:10 (Ref:415347)   #5
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Williams are trying to get BMW into a corner. No self-respecting big player (like BMW) would prefer a handicapped formula - they want to win on merit, just like Mercedes and Ferrari. By spinning the situation a little (with this hint by Patrick Head) Williams are asserting their authority as a team over BMW (just a supplier) and pushing them that little bit harder into making a bigger investment. BMW can't have their say in the future of F1 unless they put more into it.
They better not push too hard. If I where Williams, the last thing I would want to do is pi$$ off BMW even more.
Williams need BMW more than BMW need Williams IMO.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 11:18 (Ref:415353)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yea but where are BMW going to? Out of F1 completely is more likely than to another team, and doing their own chassis is a total non-starter if you ask me.

I suppose Sauber might be available at some point in the future - but when you see what little results they managed with Ferrari power you start to realise what a great job Williams have been doing.

Renault is Renault, Jag is Ford, BAR is Honda... when you look at it BMW should be bloody grateful to be where they are. Second place in this field is no disgrace at all, and if a team falls out of the top three its a hell of a long way back to the top.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 12:16 (Ref:415398)   #7
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
I suppose Sauber might be available at some point in the future - but when you see what little results they managed with Ferrari power you start to realise what a great job Williams have been doing.

Renault is Renault, Jag is Ford, BAR is Honda... when you look at it BMW should be bloody grateful to be where they are. Second place in this field is no disgrace at all, and if a team falls out of the top three its a hell of a long way back to the top.
Sauber is using de-tuned engines (though they might have got more power after THAT incident). But I agree theyre not that great of a team and not many teams, if any, need a new engine. Engine deals come and go, anything can happen it just depends on how despeate BMW is.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 12:30 (Ref:415409)   #8
Glen
Veteran

I thought they were full spec, but one revision behind the main team all the time. ie using 2001 engines in 2002.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 16:57 (Ref:415618)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought the same as Glen !..infact im sure that is the case .