Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 29 Jul 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2735126)   #1
Kwik
Rookie

Kwik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sprint karting

how many people would be interested in doing a sprint or hillclimb in there kart?

i have had a nice long discusion with the hillclimbers on another forum and the result of which was that at some venues it will be safe and smooth enough for go-karts, but getting people to do it in there karts is another matter.

so realy as none of them have go-karts, i was seeing how much interest there is, and to see if a karting club could organise something in the way of a competitions at a circuit or hill climbing track.

i think its a great test of nerve and skill against the clock, its alot cheaper than circuit racing and there is no fear of hitting other drivers off the road and ruining there race...

so, any interest at all?
Old 29 Jul 2010, 14:09 (Ref:2735194)   #2
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone asked the MSA if it's allowed?
Old 29 Jul 2010, 15:13 (Ref:2735229)   #3
Kwik
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Has anyone asked the MSA if it's allowed?
it used to be run as a class, but as some of the isngle seater guys where being beaten they complained and it withered away...

they still have karts in the channel islands and other countrires... just not mainland UK
Old 29 Jul 2010, 19:15 (Ref:2735386)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik View Post
it used to be run as a class, but as some of the isngle seater guys where being beaten they complained and it withered away...

they still have karts in the channel islands and other countrires... just not mainland UK
sounds like time to bring it back then....
Old 29 Jul 2010, 21:43 (Ref:2735489)   #5
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Sounds like a good idea, and I can understand the appeal to those wanting competition but fed up with racing damage spoiling their day.
Old 29 Jul 2010, 22:11 (Ref:2735503)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know when I asked 6 or 7 years ago about doing it at Gurston they said no because the MSA wont allow it. All to do with the licencing and barriers etc
Old 29 Jul 2010, 22:12 (Ref:2735504)   #7
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and of course they are scared about how quick karts are.
Old 29 Jul 2010, 22:13 (Ref:2735505)   #8
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik View Post
how many people would be interested in doing a sprint or hillclimb in there kart?

i have had a nice long discusion with the hillclimbers on another forum and the result of which was that at some venues it will be safe and smooth enough for go-karts, but getting people to do it in there karts is another matter.

so realy as none of them have go-karts, i was seeing how much interest there is, and to see if a karting club could organise something in the way of a competitions at a circuit or hill climbing track.

i think its a great test of nerve and skill against the clock, its alot cheaper than circuit racing and there is no fear of hitting other drivers off the road and ruining there race...

so, any interest at all?
Would have to be clutched too - Gearbox, 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
Old 30 Jul 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2735725)   #9
Kwik
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
Would have to be clutched too - Gearbox, 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
definatly gearbox karts, would make it more challenging

as im not in the karting scene, whats the most popular class that have gearbox's?

im thinking 125 shifters and 250 suuperkarts?
Old 30 Jul 2010, 20:31 (Ref:2736043)   #10
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Generally there are more 125s than 250s, but both are a dying breed in many ways compared to the more modern TAG classes and KF type stuff - all of which are'nt gearbox.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 18:34 (Ref:2754821)   #11
bendy
Rookie

bendy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Generally there are more 125s than 250s, but both are a dying breed in many ways compared to the more modern TAG classes and KF type stuff - all of which are'nt gearbox.
Depends very much on long or short circuit really. Youre right about they are potentially dying out, which is a MASSIVE shame. But on long circuits (what I race) 250s (singles) are FAR FAR more popular, often achieving grid of 40, with 125s barely reaching double figures. Having said this, 250 twins in the UK are all but gone, as they have all taken to racing in Europe or moved to the singles, where it's cheaper and argueably more reliable.

I do doubt the MSA would allow hillclimbs in these things, and to be honest, I dont think I would fancy doing it, i.e. with no run off etc. They arent the easiest things to drive. Also, "racing damage" isnt exactly a massive expense in Superkarts, as a) 95% of the guys that race are very considerate and respectful, and b) parts are really very cheap (relatively speaking) e.g. for a new nosecone, if it cant be repaired, is about £100, and we're so tiny compared to the width of the tracks that contact is rare!
Old 9 Sep 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2756823)   #12
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Could be a nice way to send them out to pasture
Old 9 Sep 2010, 23:54 (Ref:2757054)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I'd love to try something like this , I dont have a gearbox kart but given a nice little tight circuit my kart would scoot along quite well.. against the clock is something that I enjoy doing.

Sad Im all the way in Oz though