Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 May 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2193150)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WTCC: Imola replaces Anderstorp

The "new" Imola-track will replace the Swedish round at Anderstorp. The race will take place 20/21st September. The reason for the cancellation of the Anderstorp race is said to be the organisers not being able to find an agreement with the WTCC-promoters.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=2241
Old 3 May 2008, 15:06 (Ref:2193237)   #2
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Oh crap... they have been on and off the STCC calendar for years for exactly the same reason. A real pity since it's such a nice track for creating interesting races.
Old 4 May 2008, 16:55 (Ref:2193854)   #3
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is responsible for negotiating with racepromotors at Anderstorp? He doesn't perform to well....
I'm curious to see what the 'rebuild' of Imola is about. Did they also cange the track?
Old 4 May 2008, 17:14 (Ref:2193866)   #4
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the last section of the track was changed, moving the pits to the inside of the circuit rather than the outside, iirc. I do like Imola, always seems quite interesting with the Touring Cars, but it's a shame to loose Anderstorp.
Old 4 May 2008, 17:51 (Ref:2193883)   #5
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
I don't want to put blame, since I don't know the facts, but apparently Anderstorp wants more money then other racetracks. If there are valid reasons for this or not, I cannot comment on, but it is the reason STCC often does not include it it's championship (eg this year). Seems to be the same with WTCC.
Old 4 May 2008, 18:02 (Ref:2193888)   #6
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Variante Bassa was supposed to be removed, with pit straight going from Rivazza to Tamburello. That's what i can remember.
Old 4 May 2008, 19:29 (Ref:2193934)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shame really, the replaced an acceptable circuit with one of the dullest ones. It's not as if the place will be packed to the rafters with Tifosi, either.
Old 4 May 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2193938)   #8
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
I don't want to put blame, since I don't know the facts, but apparently Anderstorp wants more money then other racetracks. If there are valid reasons for this or not, I cannot comment on, but it is the reason STCC often does not include it it's championship (eg this year). Seems to be the same with WTCC.
Someone should get his ass kicked. Anderstorp built a new pit complex a year ago that cost them a forune, and now they are driving all series away from the track, what use will they have of the pit complex then?!?

So no STCC teams in WTCC to compare against this year either then.
Old 4 May 2008, 22:16 (Ref:2194037)   #9
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Swedes are great at spoiling good opportunities IMO. Don't know the details about this, but it really is a shame. I've heard that the promotors of WTCC wanted much money and to quote another person on this subject, "a six digit amount of € and the first number is not 1"...

I would say good luck in getting a race for 2009, feels like other (more interesting in terms of marketing etc) countries want to host a round. I have to admit that it would have been nice to see the WTCC drivers here in Sweden this year .
Old 4 May 2008, 23:35 (Ref:2194068)   #10
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Yeah, WTCC won't be coming back is my guess too. They just got WTCC due to sheer luck last year, and even if the racing is often great there, the people who decide will value more money trickling over better racing.
Old 5 May 2008, 07:57 (Ref:2194210)   #11
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IIRC they also have problems every year that some safetyfeatures are missing, facilities are bad etc. Did't they even have to service in tents until not long ago?
Old 6 May 2008, 21:52 (Ref:2195548)   #12
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Shame really, the replaced an acceptable circuit with one of the dullest ones. It's not as if the place will be packed to the rafters with Tifosi, either.

Imola usually produces good racing .. two or four wheels .. except F1

Ciao Marco
Old 9 May 2008, 06:05 (Ref:2197365)   #13
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone got a map of the new track lay-out?
Old 9 May 2008, 08:22 (Ref:2197439)   #14
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Google Earth?
Old 9 May 2008, 08:36 (Ref:2197448)   #15
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Google Earth?
I strongly doubt that one is updated already. After all they're still showing the old long Hockenheim (untill recently at least).
Old 9 May 2008, 15:52 (Ref:2197682)   #16
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
It's a good place to start to look
Old 9 May 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2197735)   #17
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It's a good place to start to look
... if you want to see the old layout
Old 9 May 2008, 17:51 (Ref:2197747)   #18
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Instead of just knocking on my suggestion, why not come with a suggestion by yourself?
Old 9 May 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2197761)   #19
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
I'm not knocking on your suggestion. I'm pointing out that your suggestion is invalid, which you then ignore and repeat. That's called 'asking for it' in my book.

You want a suggestion? Google.com.
Old 9 May 2008, 18:16 (Ref:2197767)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
http://www.autodromoimola.it/downloa...ampa_imola.pdf
Pages 4 and 5

I'm sure it's full of lots of useful information, if only I could speak Italian.
Old 9 May 2008, 18:20 (Ref:2197770)   #21
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
And some pics to go with it

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/sel...n/Presentation

Sharp kink there, wouldn't be surprised to see some coming togethers there after the start.
Old 9 May 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2197801)   #22
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys

And now kiss and make up
Old 9 May 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2197813)   #23
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
I'm not knocking on your suggestion. I'm pointing out that your suggestion is invalid, which you then ignore and repeat. That's called 'asking for it' in my book.
Ok...

Return question... Did you actually CHECK Google Earth yourself before stating my suggestion was invalid? Because I did and I can't find any difference what so ever in track layout from Google Earth and the PDF linked to above. Exactly what is changed if Gooogle Earth as you say is not up to date...
Old 9 May 2008, 19:31 (Ref:2197817)   #24
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Of course I did, I'm not stupid . It has the old pitbuilding with the chicane before the pitentry. On the new layout that chicane is gone. Also the Google Earth pics don't show the kink in the start/finish straight.

Google Earth is a very unreliable source when it comes to tracklayouts, as a lot of pictures are several years old. As said, take a look at Hockenheim

Last edited by Bramzel; 9 May 2008 at 19:34.
Old 9 May 2008, 19:54 (Ref:2197826)   #25
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
It has the old pitbuilding with the chicane before the pitentry.
Yes, but it has the piece of the track that goes straight head as well, without the chikane. Isn't that the same strech of tiremac which the new part is running along?

Or is that missing kink the evidence of a slightly new direction of the main straight as it "returns" to the old part? In any case, there are some photos added of the new constructions.

Quote:
Google Earth is a very unreliable source when it comes to tracklayouts, as a lot of pictures are several years old. As said, take a look at Hockenheim
I know many other online map services that are even more unreliable and have much worse resolution to boot. So it rarely hurts to check GE. It's usually at least close to the truth.

Tags
wtcc