Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 May 2018, 15:40 (Ref:3819121)   #51
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Why did you have to say that...... After some coaching from me the tarmac lake staff now have a better understanding of which vehicle can have a pass and which can’t..... Anyway, a helichopper has just landed so looks like JP is here and now all will be perfect!

Palmer or Plato?
Old 3 May 2018, 15:47 (Ref:3819124)   #52
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Palmer or Plato?
He said it had landed, not crash landed so I think it's safe to assume 'Palmer'!
Old 3 May 2018, 18:06 (Ref:3819206)   #53
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Entry list https://msvstatic.com/documents/DHF1...linson@msv.com
Old 4 May 2018, 06:01 (Ref:3819311)   #54
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We had Royale pass through and went straight to our garage . No 15 if anyone wants a cuppa . I’ve only got four cars this weekend so nice and quiete with lots of spare time . 😀
Old 4 May 2018, 06:20 (Ref:3819316)   #55
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Luck you! I guess because you are in a garage, as when I looked in the ‘tarmac lake’ late yesterday there was a huge amount of people waiting to be admitted.

As soon as scrutineering started I got our ‘alternative’ GTSCC entry checked over, just in case the actual entry failed on the rolling road. It was passed as good to go so was trailered straight to the circuit. As the van couldn’t get through the log jam in the tarmac lake it was unloaded there and I drove it straight to the scrut bay. Gate closed for the night! Luckily they let me sneak in via the out gate and it was all sorted...... Thank you Henry.

Tyres to get fitted, brakes to be replaced and a good check over ready for qualifying this afternoon. Fingers crossed, as the other car is on its way home....
Old 4 May 2018, 06:45 (Ref:3819317)   #56
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are there restrictions in place to the paddock areas this weekend? I had hoped to look around this afternoon but reading through the MSV information there is reference to a free pit lane walkabout for the public at lunchtimes inferring that other times access would be restricted to competitors only.
Old 4 May 2018, 07:23 (Ref:3819324)   #57
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Are there restrictions in place to the paddock areas this weekend? I had hoped to look around this afternoon but reading through the MSV information there is reference to a free pit lane walkabout for the public at lunchtimes inferring that other times access would be restricted to competitors only.
Can't see there being any paddock access issues, this is on the DHF website:

At the Festival the race and rally paddocks are open to all spectators, so you can get up close to the cars and the stars, at no extra cost.

Pit lane is normally off access to the public surely.
Old 4 May 2018, 07:27 (Ref:3819325)   #58
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This missive appeared on the MSV website:

Pit Walkabout
There are free of charge pitlane walkabouts during the lunch breaks on all three days. Be sure to arrive at the assembly point beneath the podium at the side of the Garage 39 café, bar and restaurant in plenty of time.
Old 4 May 2018, 08:41 (Ref:3819333)   #59
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This missive appeared on the MSV website:

Pit Walkabout
There are free of charge pitlane walkabouts during the lunch breaks on all three days. Be sure to arrive at the assembly point beneath the podium at the side of the Garage 39 café, bar and restaurant in plenty of time.
Yes, I think that just refers to the pitlane walkabouts which MSV (and Donington before them) tend to do at some of the bigger events these days. I doubt it would change the normal paddock access for spectators.
Old 4 May 2018, 08:52 (Ref:3819334)   #60
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm, surely you would need to be in the paddock in order to go to the assembly area for the walkabout. Unlike Goodwood, pit-lanes, are generally closed to spectators other than team members during the qualifying and racing.
Old 4 May 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3819341)   #61
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hmm, surely you would need to be in the paddock in order to go to the assembly area for the walkabout. Unlike Goodwood, pit-lanes, are generally closed to spectators other than team members during the qualifying and racing.
Yep. I think they are expecting quite a few people this weekend and perhaps bigger "teams" than usual.

At a normal clubbie the 20 or so often dedicated and experienced spectators are unlikely to cause a problem in the pit lane but if they get a few more than that they might well need restrictions. There certainly seem to be a lot of security people about this morning but of course the Car Auction site is still fully operational so there are separate traffic movement operations needed there.

I note that the public car parking area outside the Paddock entrance now has neat new low level wooden barriers to define it and split it into separate areas. It looks quite smart.

Let's hope it stays dry.

Without the option for the edge parkers to drive straight of onto the tarmac and all others to take the shortest route they can find from grass to something with surface grip things could get very messy.
Old 4 May 2018, 18:16 (Ref:3819495)   #62
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Paddock access not an issue, just confusing information. For anyone interested, having walked the circuit today you can just squeeze through the pedestrian tunnel at Coppice even though there is a barrier in place on the inside.
Old 4 May 2018, 18:51 (Ref:3819506)   #63
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Sorry, I thought you had asked about paddock access hence my response. Apologies for the confusing information.

Quote:
Old 5 May 2018, 06:26 (Ref:3819573)   #64
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The pit lane at most meetings I attend is usually restricted to competitors, team, pass holders etc., but as there are no passes at this event not sure how officials will know if any particular person should be there or not! TBH you can’t see much from there anyway- better to tour the paddock.....
Old 6 May 2018, 05:20 (Ref:3820226)   #65
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some nice cars running yesterday but most racing wasn't that close. Stunning weather and good company made it a decent day. Looking forward to more today.
Old 6 May 2018, 05:35 (Ref:3820229)   #66
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
We weren’t out track soot the car ready for this morning and spent a lot of time chilling. Also gave me time to walk the 3 miles to the circuit and back! Lovely thing to do on such a beautiful day......

Some seriously damaged Cortinas after the U2TC race, but not sure if one or more incidents......
Old 6 May 2018, 18:16 (Ref:3820431)   #67
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So, can we have weather like just enjoyed at Donny for the rest of the season please?

With confidence boosted by the fact that the SLR’s new engine survived qualifying without issues, we had high hopes for a good run and a finish in the GTSCC 2hr race. The regs require two driver changes, with the owner driving at least half the race, so we usually swap at 40 & 90 minutes, but if there is a SC between 20 and 40, we swap early and adjust later stop. Guess what, at 25 minutes said SC boards popped up, and amazingly I was already suited up. That gained us a lap on some of the competition who had pitted just before. (Sometimes you gain, more often you lose ) 2 more SC periods during my stint were of no benefit to us, as if we swapped early again the last one would be over the max of 50 minutes.... (Sometimes a good grasp of mental arithmetic is required ) I managed our best lap time just before coming in to hand over, car still going strong, and confidence increasing also. Simon sets off, but couple of laps later limps into the pit lane with a sick sounding engine. Arghhhh! Quick listen suggests we’re out, so the ever helpful marshals push it down the hill (OK, not that strenuous ) and into the paddock. Just out of curiousity (and it’s easy to do), I removed the rocker cover, and.... discover one rocker with the end missing. fortunately the broken piece was still in the vicinity and not in the sump!

So here we go again. Car back to the engine builder asap. New rockers and a general health check, methinks......
Old 6 May 2018, 18:55 (Ref:3820446)   #68
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
A curate's egg frankly . Some thin grids, usual SC nonsense at every opportunity , unwelcome banging tunes all day from somewhere above the Old Hairpin and a TWO HOUR race this morning . An hour's fine but no more at this sort of meeting thanks . Not very great for thirty quid , even though some lovely cars and excellent driving.

I enjoy any day out at the races of course but I really do feel that DHF has bigged itself up as some sort of major event when it is nothing of the sort . It has poor atmosphere,bizarre timetabling, mediocre viewing , a small crowd and it needs a lot more thought to compete with 'rivals' such as the Gold Cup (for example )
Old 6 May 2018, 19:14 (Ref:3820450)   #69
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm. I've done both and frankly see little difference between this and the Gold Cup. I like them both. I do agree that it's not the Silverstone Classic but then again that has moved on dramatically from its origins.

I had to miss this one but I do feel that it will grow. Don't forget it was one of the first events following the virtual destruction of the venue so I suspect in another few years we'll be discussing this one favourably in comparison with your other favourite.
Old 6 May 2018, 19:50 (Ref:3820456)   #70
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
When I walked into the circuit Saturday morning there was a very long queue of cars at the entrance, but hardly anything on Sunday. My general impression is that saturday was the busier day.

So you don’t like 2hr races, then, coppice. Well, the GTSCC competitors do, hence the full grid with 8 reserves......

I can’t see how the event can grow much. I know the paddock has been resurfaced, but there isn’t any extra space! The layout was as confused as last year, but just on a nicer surface.....
Old 6 May 2018, 20:16 (Ref:3820465)   #71
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess the fact that the racing is arranged around the front racers makes the DHF s "clubbie" more than a "festival". Which makes the £30 spectator entry fee rather steep. Sounds like it's falling between two stools.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 6 May 2018, 21:12 (Ref:3820479)   #72
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I guess the fact that the racing is arranged around the front racers makes the DHF s "clubbie" more than a "festival". Which makes the £30 spectator entry fee rather steep. Sounds like it's falling between two stools.

Sorry that word "front" shouldn't be there.

Old 6 May 2018, 22:12 (Ref:3820487)   #73
brands
Veteran

Good run home from Donington, motorways busy but moving well.

We were chatting in the new Diner this morning about the improvements that MSV have made, new diner, catering management, decent car parking stewards, friendly staff, finally a toilet block on the infield (and others around the circuit) etc
Talked about checking the Donington calendar for more events......that was until 11.00 when the "Forbidden Forest" racket started up. It was so loud on the infield of the old hairpin it drown out the PA and most cars. Hour after hour of non stop teckno crap.

Great weather, some nice cars, good company, I enjoyed a day and a half of racing....fantastic value for car club members and friends

Will check out the Donny calendar for future events but only after the Forbidden Forest dates first.
Old 7 May 2018, 00:16 (Ref:3820495)   #74
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, I don't post here much anymore, but i'm just confused/wondering what's happened to all the regulars from the Super Touring Challenge?

Whyte, N.Smith, P.Smith, G.Dodd, Jason Minshaw, Jarman, Absolom, Mark Jones, Fielding, Strachan, Beighton, Garrad, Houlbrook, even Patrick Watts has given up the series.

They were all missing this weekend. The car are there to be raced, but the interest has gone.
Old 7 May 2018, 04:58 (Ref:3820514)   #75
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
………

So here we go again. Car back to the engine builder asap. New rockers and a general health check, methinks......
Oh no....you do seem to be having a few “challenges” with that motor....
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60