Closed Thread

Old 3 Oct 2018, 09:11 (Ref:3854245)   #1
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
52Paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Charlie Whiting talks about possibilities of returning to Zandvoort

I guess the success of Max Verstappen has had something to do with this story surfacing. And Whiting says that it wouldn't take a lot of work to make it work, at least from the circuit condition point of view. What do you think?

I, personally, would love to see F1 return to a nostalgic track of old. In recent years it's been street circuits and tracks in countries with no F1 pedigree. I'd say it would be a positive move for the sport and the fans.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-change-for-f1
Old 3 Oct 2018, 09:31 (Ref:3854250)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I don't want F1 anywhere near Zandvoort. Its a brilliant classic race track that hasn't yet been ruined by Charlie and his roaming circus demanding unnecessary "safety" changes.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 09:50 (Ref:3854253)   #3
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I kinda wish F1 would stop rotating through circuits, ruining them and then leaving. Let's not mess with Zandvoort please.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 10:26 (Ref:3854259)   #4
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
52Paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a good point. You may have convinced me to change my opinion.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 13:36 (Ref:3854289)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well if Charlie says it’s pretty much ready, it’s fine for anything. Don’t forget the circuit isn’t the same as it was when F1 last went there, so you can’t compare it to then
Old 3 Oct 2018, 13:40 (Ref:3854292)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I would love Zandvoort back, but F1 has already 21 races, of which 9 are in Western Europe.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 15:10 (Ref:3854310)   #7
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I don't mind F1 going to new tracks or re-vitalising old ones. Although I am old enough to remember the 1985 season, I cannot recall the layout of the place. The big question in my mind is would it produce a decent race with modern F1 cars?

Mexico for example - millions spent in order to produce 2 very forgettable races. Nice for the locals I suppose.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 15:16 (Ref:3854313)   #8
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Any track has potential but Zandvoort is too slow and too narrow for fast cars.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 15:17 (Ref:3854314)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I don't mind F1 going to new tracks or re-vitalising old ones. Although I am old enough to remember the 1985 season, I cannot recall the layout of the place. The big question in my mind is would it produce a decent race with modern F1 cars?

Mexico for example - millions spent in order to produce 2 very forgettable races. Nice for the locals I suppose.
I'm not sure it would, no, at least with the current F1 cars!

The long run down the s/f straight into Tarzan used to be a guarantee of seeing outbraking moves....

There's also a lot of sweepers which as we know F1 cars love to bits as long as they aren't in the close company of another one.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 16:45 (Ref:3854329)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I would like to see F1 race there or Estoril would be nice...
Old 3 Oct 2018, 16:56 (Ref:3854330)   #11
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well if Charlie says it’s pretty much ready, it’s fine for anything. Don’t forget the circuit isn’t the same as it was when F1 last went there, so you can’t compare it to then
Zandvoort has a Grade 2 license, so it isn't ready or it'd have 1 or 1T (the difference between 1 and 1T tends to be infrastructure for race weekends).
Old 3 Oct 2018, 17:24 (Ref:3854341)   #12
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I don't see this happen.

There's a rivalry between Zandvoort and Assen, the latter has more chance to succeed.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 19:08 (Ref:3854372)   #13
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
If only because Assen has much much much better infrastructure because MotoGP demands it.
Old 3 Oct 2018, 19:09 (Ref:3854374)   #14
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Bring back Brands Hatch!
Old 3 Oct 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3854398)   #15
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Given this discussion has already moved off Zandvoort... Potential merge into the "Future Grands Prix?" thread which is pretty much devoted to this type of discussion?

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132358

Richard
Old 4 Oct 2018, 19:00 (Ref:3854551)   #16
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well hope they don't sacrifice Spa for it. That would really be a tragedy.

PS. Agree with Richard.
Old 5 Oct 2018, 00:33 (Ref:3854583)   #17
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Me three.

Richard's call to merge this thread is a good one!
Old 5 Oct 2018, 09:56 (Ref:3854635)   #18
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As the thread has drifted off topic, this thread is closed.

Remember the general future GP thread is here
Closed Thread