Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 4 Jan 2007, 00:08 (Ref:1805701)   #51
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have a feeling that I may have diverted this thread slightly from it's original intention, so, erm, back to the point if we may.

How does overall record times compare to classes? If Bouley is the slowest average speed for a top class car, is it also the slowest for, say, a Subaru or Caterham?
Old 5 Jan 2007, 15:17 (Ref:1807570)   #52
wight jr
Rookie

Scotland
up north
wight jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think all records are on, some more so than others. The one`s that i think would be hard are, Harewood, that run by Scott was realy good, and Wiscombe because i dont think todays cars are good for a track like that.
Doune will go by the most, Martins record was only .02 off what i did with the little car and if you look at the how other records have fallen then this will go easly on the right weekend. Records are just bench marks us, its nice to have them though.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 15:43 (Ref:1807591)   #53
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by wight jr
I think all records are on, some more so than others. The one`s that i think would be hard are, Harewood, that run by Scott was realy good, and Wiscombe because i dont think todays cars are good for a track like that.
Doune will go by the most, Martins record was only .02 off what i did with the little car and if you look at the how other records have fallen then this will go easly on the right weekend. Records are just bench marks us, its nice to have them though.
I have to agree. I can't remember the last hill record breaker who would own up to a perfect run! There was always some slight error which they would like to have ommitted.

I noticed at Wiscombe that the aero packages on differing cars seemed to be creating varied amounts of disturbance in their wake. Certainly on Castle Straight the Goulds seemed to be shifting a lot less air over their rear wings! Might this be due to the fact that they are none-adjustable?

Martin's Doune record was set on a not particularly good week-end. His first 100% dry run was his first timed run on Sunday. Just think what he could do after a week of dry weather!
Old 5 Jan 2007, 16:10 (Ref:1807612)   #54
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Wiscombe is one of the most difficult to master of all the tracks, there are so many constantly changing variables to cope with that it's going to take a rare combination of conditions before the record goes. It's not just a case of it being dry for the weekend (unusual in itself), but it's going to have to be dry for as much as a couple of weeks beforehand for there to be enough grip on the top half. That said, the predictions for the summer (Best since 1998 according to the news), mean it could happen in July.

I think the records at tracks that only get one visit a year are probably safer also.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 17:30 (Ref:1807666)   #55
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
I think the records at tracks that only get one visit a year are probably safer also.
Maybe there should be more one-off visits?

Anyway what is to stop someone entering a clubbie at Wiscombe prior to the National event just to get a sighter?

Old 5 Jan 2007, 19:33 (Ref:1807716)   #56
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Nothing actually, in fact if anybody fancies doing so, April 28th & 29th would be an ideal chance to get some track time in. Not to mention, the excellent people @ Woolbridge MC would love to have you (plug,plug)
Old 5 Jan 2007, 20:24 (Ref:1807741)   #57
Paul Ranson
Racer

Paul Ranson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Certainly on Castle Straight the Goulds seemed to be shifting a lot less air over their rear wings! Might this be due to the fact that they are none-adjustable?
Rear wings are both adjustable and adjusted. Fronts are adjustable and generally left on max...

Quote:
Martin's Doune record was set on a not particularly good week-end.
And we know from consulting the onboard videos that Deano was level pegging on the way into East Brae, having been significantly behind earlier in the run. He then runs wide on the way out and drops behind again. So in the conditions that weekend there were another couple of tenths, maybe more, to be had up the Tunnel and across the Meadow....

Paul
Old 1 Feb 2007, 14:43 (Ref:1831096)   #58
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will a completely re-surfaced Shelsley help or hinder ?

There will have been some running on it by the time the BHC gets there....
Old 1 Feb 2007, 15:48 (Ref:1831132)   #59
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
One of the main reasons to resurface Shelsley is to smooth out the area between S Approach and Bottom S to stop cars bottoming out, so i think if done properly it can only be of help.
Old 1 Feb 2007, 16:47 (Ref:1831172)   #60
Paul Ranson
Racer

I've just looked at some data and it can be argued both ways. One shows that there's no lift between Crossing and the Esses, so smoothing the bump will simply make not lifting safer but the speeds won't change much. The other shows that you might end up arriving at the Esses 10mph faster.

Of course if Crossing itself gets faster everybody will be going faster all the way up.

Anyway I'm sure the MAC Hillclimb committee have given this serious thought, it's going to be interesting come June.

If it became necessary to slow the cars down perhaps moving the track to the left a bit below Crossing would be a solution without changing the character or the length.

Paul
Old 1 Feb 2007, 17:27 (Ref:1831209)   #61
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roy Lane, in his book 10 years ago, was most disparaging about Shelsley's surface after a few years of red mud washing onto it - the implication being that resurfacing (assuming it was done properly) would improve the grip.
Bet the first one to drop oil on it'll be unpopular!
Old 1 Feb 2007, 19:37 (Ref:1831314)   #62
Paul Ranson
Racer

I think they've been regularly pressure washing it since then.

Paul
Old 1 Feb 2007, 21:46 (Ref:1831413)   #63
lifeof
Rookie

lifeof should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem is, if it is a problem, is that it is a very well used farm road and access for the game keeper when rearing his 3000+ chicks plus, of course, the front drive of the occupier of the cottage at the top.
It is very regularly brushed both summer and winter plus, as been said, pressure washed fairly regularly.
None of these usages will change after it has been re-surfaced.
Old 1 Feb 2007, 21:52 (Ref:1831416)   #64
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

I think the worst possible move would be to leave it to deteriorate. Having marshalled Crossing regularly over the last few years, the streach from crossing to bottom ess has been giving me worse nightmares every meeting.
Old 2 Feb 2007, 08:03 (Ref:1831620)   #65
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
Having marshalled Crossing regularly over the last few years, the streach from crossing to bottom ess has been giving me worse nightmares every meeting.

You have been busy there haven't you.

The last time it was resurfaced the incidents seemed to move to Kennel as the entry speed was increased.
Old 2 Feb 2007, 08:43 (Ref:1831634)   #66
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude

The last time it was resurfaced the incidents seemed to move to Kennel as the entry speed was increased.

At least we wont have far to travel
Old 2 Feb 2007, 12:53 (Ref:1831823)   #67
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
That's a fair point, lower down the tyres are colder, and downforce sqaring with speed, you've got a darn sight less keeping you on the blackstuff there.
Old 4 Feb 2007, 10:12 (Ref:1833108)   #68
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonbroke
Bet the first one to drop oil on it'll be unpopular!
They will with me!

I'm not sure I fancy cars arriving at Bottom Ess 10mph faster. What's your data say, Paul? I seem to remember Martin stating 141.6mph? Can't imagine possibly 150 approach.
Old 4 Feb 2007, 22:54 (Ref:1833551)   #69
Mallockman
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sussex
Mallockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
102.27283 mph.................
Old 5 Feb 2007, 12:48 (Ref:1833885)   #70
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallockman
102.27283 mph.................
Er, ok

Welcome Mallockman, nice to have you. What's the significance of 102.27283 MPH then?
Old 8 Feb 2007, 16:59 (Ref:1836481)   #71
Mallockman
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sussex
Mallockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Significance of 102.27283 MPH was me thinking that page 2 was latest post and answering question re Shelsley average speed...............oops.

In view of your location Black Crow - I think I should declare myself as Weston Speed Trial Competitor 1985.........
Old 8 Feb 2007, 17:49 (Ref:1836536)   #72
lifeof
Rookie

lifeof should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone care to give the record holders average speed up each of the Championship Hills.
Old 10 Feb 2007, 15:31 (Ref:1838112)   #73
Dennis.Doyle
Racer

England
Bury, Lancs
Dennis.Doyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeof
Anyone care to give the record holders average speed up each of the Championship Hills.
A pleasure Sir!

Roy Lane's record up Scammonden's 550 yds, still standing from 1975, was 21.97 seconds which equates to a mind-boggling 51.2 mph.

What do you mean it's off-topic? Scam was a championship hill back then
Old 11 Feb 2007, 10:17 (Ref:1838519)   #74
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.Doyle
A pleasure Sir!

Roy Lane's record up Scammonden's 550 yds, still standing from 1975, was 21.97 seconds which equates to a mind-boggling 51.2 mph.

What do you mean it's off-topic? Scam was a championship hill back then
True the record was set by Roy Lane at a "championship" meeting, the only trouble is that it wasn't a BRITISH HILLCLIMB CHAMPIONSHIP meeting!