Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jan 2007, 23:33 (Ref:1822274)   #76
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC

My suspicion is that of the "new" drivers guys like AD, who put in a lot of testing miles over the years, are going to be way better off than the Hamiltons and Kovalinnens (hope I spelled that right, V) who just don't have the miles (and therefore the "feel" of the tires) under their belts.
But AD has no more experience of the Bridgestone than HK or LH does, so should be an even playing field. Incidently, at the tests back in december, HK did more testing miles than any other driver, so i think he should be alright
Old 23 Jan 2007, 01:20 (Ref:1822347)   #77
Raz0rRacing
Rookie

Raz0rRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great idea, but like said above never get to F1!
Old 26 Jan 2007, 16:51 (Ref:1826641)   #78
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
MW and DC pan tyre rule.What do they know!

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38348
Old 26 Jan 2007, 17:02 (Ref:1826648)   #79
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One thing for sure Martyn:

“...what the drivers say about that is absolutely not important…”
Old 26 Jan 2007, 17:09 (Ref:1826654)   #80
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think DC and webber have a point there tbh.at the end of the race when everything has settlesd down, and drivers are backing off to preserve there engines etc, they will just bolt on the slower set for he last stint.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 17:53 (Ref:1826694)   #81
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i dont really know where DC is coming from here. i remember last year he was involved in a few last stint battles involving other mid pack teams. i imagine he would have loved a set of "fast" tires when Nico chased him down in Bahrain.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 22:00 (Ref:1826829)   #82
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl
i dont really know where DC is coming from here. i remember last year he was involved in a few last stint battles involving other mid pack teams. i imagine he would have loved a set of "fast" tires when Nico chased him down in Bahrain.
Trouble is, if all the other "mid pack" drivers use their faster tyres mid race while DC and MW use their slower tyres mid race, the RBR drivers will be so far behind then their faster tyres for the last stint won't be enough.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 22:24 (Ref:1826842)   #83
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The drivers will still have to set their cars up to run well on both specs of tyre.

It's no good being a second a lap faster than everyone else on the soft tyre if you're 3 seconds a lap slower than the rest on the hard tyre.Friday practice should be quite busy I think.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 12:57 (Ref:1827114)   #84
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chillibowl, I think "where DC is coming from" is, excepting only in extraordinary situations, who among them is not going to want the quickest tyres on their car for the start of a race?

Kinda like on page 1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Won't everybody use their soft tyres for qualifying and the first stint?
Old 27 Jan 2007, 16:58 (Ref:1827244)   #85
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then, interesting to see tyres if we have late-race SC like in Montreal last year. The drivers are queued and there might be different tyre strategies.

Well, surely there is one "optimum" strategy but if you qualify badly then it might be clever to try something different.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 17:41 (Ref:1827273)   #86
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu
Then, interesting to see tyres if we have late-race SC like in Montreal last year. The drivers are queued and there might be different tyre strategies.

Well, surely there is one "optimum" strategy but if you qualify badly then it might be clever to try something different.
and what would that different strategy be? put on the slower tyres first and end up miles back, having to catch up at the end running the engine to the max and risk it blowing the next race?

i dont see it working.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 18:01 (Ref:1827284)   #87
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It will be quite interesting watching a car with what will be essentially a "compromised" setup, some cars will no doubt react better than others to this trait.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 00:38 (Ref:1827532)   #88
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
If,like Mclaren,you tend to do a long first stint,you may have no option but to go for the harder tyre to begin with.It all depends on how a car uses its tyres.It all depends on strategy,one,two or three stops.We can't assume that all the teams will use the same strategy.A lot depends on the difference between the compounds at each race.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 01:43 (Ref:1827551)   #89
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
We also can't assume that the softer tyre will be the faster tyre for a given car. How many times did we see drivers take a harder / softer tyre because it just *worked* better on their car, for that track...?
Old 28 Jan 2007, 12:31 (Ref:1827750)   #90
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
We also can't assume that the softer tyre will be the faster tyre for a given car. How many times did we see drivers take a harder / softer tyre because it just *worked* better on their car, for that track...?
Exactly.And not just different teams,but also within the teams.

Bear in mind that if it rains and drivers use "wet" tyres,it won't be necessary to use the "slower" tyre.

Last edited by Marbot; 28 Jan 2007 at 12:34.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 11:50 (Ref:1828490)   #91
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
The FIA has stated that it intends to have the teams tyre choices for a GP made public before the start of a race,in a similar way to how it's done in MotoGP etc.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56508
Old 29 Jan 2007, 11:57 (Ref:1828500)   #92
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
The FIA has stated that it intends to have the teams tyre choices for a GP made public before the start of a race,in a similar way to how it's done in MotoGP etc.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56508
so they have to use both types in the race yes?, but they have to state which tyre they are going to use?

so if they have to use both then why to they have to pick one?!

im guessing its what compund they will start the race on, that they have to make public? other wise i see it making no sense.

does the FIA check all the drivers tyres before the race to check they arent giving us wrong info?
Old 29 Jan 2007, 12:01 (Ref:1828505)   #93
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran20
so they have to use both types in the race yes?, but they have to state which tyre they are going to use?

Reading between the lines,it looks like the FIA want know the entire race strategy,or at least the order in which the tyres are to be used.Although it does say "initial tyre choice".
Old 29 Jan 2007, 15:49 (Ref:1828688)   #94
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Reading between the lines,it looks like the FIA want know the entire race strategy,or at least the order in which the tyres are to be used.Although it does say "initial tyre choice".
doesnt seem clear enough for me at the moment. how are they going to know the teams are telling the truth? for example renault could easily say soft hard and soft for a 3 stop, but then they actually use saof soft and hard.

so how is the fia going to check that? test them before they come into the pits?!
Old 29 Jan 2007, 17:36 (Ref:1828764)   #95
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is just nitpicking. The tyres will all have serial numbers and be easily identifiable (if you've got hold of one).

I still think that it should be kept secret and it be up to us to fathom it out. Although I'm not against it being known for certain after the event. Let teams say or not whatever they want. However letting everyone know the initial compound is OK too.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 22:11 (Ref:1829028)   #96
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
That is just nitpicking. The tyres will all have serial numbers and be easily identifiable (if you've got hold of one).

I still think that it should be kept secret and it be up to us to fathom it out. Although I'm not against it being known for certain after the event. Let teams say or not whatever they want. However letting everyone know the initial compound is OK too.
i know its nitpicking , but it has to be dealt with, other wise it defines the point.
Old 4 Feb 2007, 15:57 (Ref:1833253)   #97
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Sam Michael of Williams seems to think that the new regs will spice up the races,despite what others may think.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56589
Old 6 Feb 2007, 06:07 (Ref:1834468)   #98
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a silly idea. Another attempt to artificially mess round with the racing.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 05:10 (Ref:1839002)   #99
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
I think it's a silly idea. Another attempt to artificially mess round with the racing.
EVERYTHING done in racing is an artificial way to mess with the racing so this is a small thing that could help competition. Having the second softer set could allow a team that misreads the track heat buildup or the weather forecast a chance for the extra speed, with the chance of tire loss, to make up some time. but the push-to-pass idea is a bad one to move to F1. esp if they keep the red sidewall on the tires like champcar does, gotta be able to tell who is risking it on the softer ones, but def has to be a limit on the sets of reds, one set usually maybe two sets for slower speeds and none for a track like Indy (bad track IMO anyway, gotta move to Laguna Seca) new to following the specs and ideas behind F1 so correct me in anything dumb I may say over the next few posts. Also will they be offering multiple compounds for the individual teams to choose from for their tuning? thinking like 3-4 compounds or so and then the next softer set being that teams reds for the race.