Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 12 Apr 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2439213)   #26
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
Indeed, it's not a good lubricant.
WD40 is billed as having 2000 uses,
1999 of which I've yet to find. It's a water dispersant; for any other application there's another product which actually works. . .
Old 12 Apr 2009, 11:44 (Ref:2439239)   #27
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
funnily enough it does stop fan belts sqeeking !!!!! strange but true ..
"wurth rost off " thats the stuff i was trying to think of earlier.
if ya want to get real trick with nipples you could have some made in "MONAL" thats what the rivets on masts are made from in the yachty world ....not cheap though !..
Old 12 Apr 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2439269)   #28
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwoody View Post
you could have some made in "MONAL"
I think you mean monel!
Old 12 Apr 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2439270)   #29
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
err , i think your right but we have "monal" written on all the bar we have ...hehe
Old 12 Apr 2009, 16:06 (Ref:2439339)   #30
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
funnily enough it does stop fan belts sqeeking !!!!! strange but true!..
But only for 5 minutes
I will stand by what I say in that if something is seized or rusted up no penetrating oil works. You might just as well stick whatever part you need to free off in a tin of diesel instead of buying expensive cans of brand x that claims amazing things !!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Apr 2009, 16:10 (Ref:2439341)   #31
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
its all ya need gordon when ya floggin a old cortina mk3 !!! lol
Old 12 Apr 2009, 17:07 (Ref:2439361)   #32
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
its all ya need gordon when ya floggin a old cortina mk3 !!! lol
Point taken To be fair to the WD 40 types of silicone sprays, they are good for door locks and window channels for a certain amount of time.
Also they are clean and easy to use in inaccessible places "ooh err missus "
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Apr 2009, 18:04 (Ref:2439386)   #33
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
To be fair to the WD 40 types of silicone sprays,
no silicone in WD40 , never has been

but you knew that really didn't you Gordon , just testing us mere oiks
Old 12 Apr 2009, 18:59 (Ref:2439407)   #34
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Ah you were paying attention. that's good as you won't have to stay in and have extra lessons with my wife after all She had got the nipple clamps ready Jerry !
Old 12 Apr 2009, 21:25 (Ref:2439479)   #35
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bu**er !
Old 13 Apr 2009, 19:42 (Ref:2439961)   #36
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Point taken To be fair to the WD 40 types of silicone sprays, they are good for door locks and window channels for a certain amount of time.
Also they are clean and easy to use in inaccessible places "ooh err missus "
I was always told that "Rocket WD40" was the wonder jollop. Made to keep water off of Atlas rockets.

Plus-Gas - marvellous stuff. Finding it in aerosols is pretty easy, but I prefer the old liquid cans - you're not paying for the propellant.

I like the idea of warming the caliper and freezing the nipple - the alloy will expand faster than the steel, and the nipple should shrink a bit, making it looser than a $5........ ooo err missus!

Wish I'd had some of that (nipple freezing squirty stuff) when I was changing the axle tubes in my Winters Quickchange. One came out easy - the other was very very stubborn - almost as difficult as getting a prime-minister to say sorry!
Old 13 Apr 2009, 23:31 (Ref:2440103)   #37
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More Information

As a last resort (assuming that the nipple is not intended for re-use), cut the end off the nipple leaving the hex intact. Get a tool from your local hardware store called an "Easy Out". It is similar to a tap and fits in a tap handle. It has a very coarse LEFT HAND thread.

1. Drill the hole in the nipple as large as is resonably possible. (From this point one could continue enlarging the hole in small increments until the offending nipple crumbles, but I digress)

2. Apply your preferred release agent

3. Apply a few taps on the caliper with a "stout object". This instruction was found on a commercial penetrating oil product. It's aim is to "set up vibrations" and aid the dispersal of the product into the affected area.

4. Thread the "Easy Out" (minding the LEFT HAND threads) into the drilled hole and `hope for the best'. Make sure that you are not exerting any side force as the "Easy Out" can break. An apropriate box-end wrench should be employed simultaneously to ease the stress on the "Easy Out".

There will be a short quiz at the end of the week. .
Old 14 Apr 2009, 12:12 (Ref:2440413)   #38
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Left handed extracting tools are about as useless as a chocolate fire guard as all they do is expand the thing you're trying to get out making it worse, and if it snaps off its too hard to drill out !
In this case the nipple is still intact with the hex on it so why cut it off when you can get purchase on it with a spanner or socket ?
Old 14 Apr 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2440809)   #39
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I've not had much success with easy outs either - broken two trying to get a sheared exhaust stud out of a crossflow head. They are a bugger to then drill out. In the end just drilled out using larger and large drills until I could pick out the remains of the studs and easy outs with a pointed stick thingy. Took ages, but got there in the end.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 23:44 (Ref:2440916)   #40
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Reply

Quote:
Left handed extracting tools are about as useless as a chocolate fire guard as all they do is expand the thing you're trying to get out making it worse, and if it snaps off its too hard to drill out !
In this case the nipple is still intact with the hex on it so why cut it off when you can get purchase on it with a spanner or socket ?
Allow me to repeat myself: As a last resort (assuming that the nipple is not intended for re-use), cut the end off the nipple leaving the hex intact.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 00:17 (Ref:2440937)   #41
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear;2440916[B
cut the end off the nipple leaving the hex intact[/B].
But why cut the end off ? If you can't undo it with a spanner or a socket you ain't gonna shift it with anything ! If it breaks off you have a ready made perfect pilot hole for drilling anyway
Last Resort ! a good Eagles track
Old 15 Apr 2009, 00:31 (Ref:2440943)   #42
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States

Quote:
But why cut the end off ? If you can't undo it with a spanner or a socket you ain't gonna shift it with anything ! If it breaks off you have a ready made perfect pilot hole for drilling anyway
Last Resort ! a good Eagles track
The intent is to prepare for the "Easy-Out". It is assumed that this is a last resort after all other methods have failed.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 08:03 (Ref:2441081)   #43
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
The intent is to prepare for the "Easy-Out". It is assumed that this is a last resort after all other methods have failed.
The last resort is spark erosion to remove the broken Easy-Out!
Old 15 Apr 2009, 12:53 (Ref:2441335)   #44
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Of course you could always forget about the sized nipple and bleed the caliper by loosening off the hose, just as long as its at the top.
A good trick that I have used many times with flush snapped off "bolts n things " over the years is this.
Find a decent "thickish" washer the same size as the offending "thing", position the washer over the "thing" and mig weld the two together. Then mig weld a nut to the washer. After it cools down a bit you will find that you can probably undo it.
The action of the heat going down the thread tends to loosen it up, obviously you have to be a bit careful and don't weld the snapped off "thing" to the surround.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 13:54 (Ref:2441390)   #45
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heat it up and then hit it with a fire extinguisher, you may laugh but the very fast cooling will break the corrosion. Mind you that is most probably not the problem at all. The likely problem is that the nipple has been screwed in so hard the threads have stretched and it is locked in by that. You can get repair kits, give it to a brake expert, he will drill it out and put a repair kit in, problem solved.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 17:49 (Ref:2441588)   #46
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Casper that exactly what I said in post 10, Stay awake at the back !!!!
Old 15 Apr 2009, 18:23 (Ref:2441619)   #47
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
give it to a brake expert, he will drill it out and put a repair kit in, problem solved.
Nominate your brake expert..... Kent/South East please

Or maybe I'll take it to Chiddingstone and stand in a pub (drinking Larkins) until a recognisable expert walks in.....
Old 15 Apr 2009, 18:32 (Ref:2441631)   #48
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forgot to say - got a whizzy product to try out from a mate who is an aircraft engineer at Gatwick. Sometimes parts seize on jet engines, so he let me have a 500ml can of the recommended stuff that British Airways engineers use for the price of a JD and Coke.

Don't know if it works - but I will report back here if it does!
Old 15 Apr 2009, 18:40 (Ref:2441639)   #49
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Nominate your brake expert..... Kent/South East please

Or maybe I'll take it to Chiddingstone and stand in a pub (drinking Larkins) until a recognisable expert walks in.....
I'll be at the bar in the "Rock" with my Black n Decker in hand ready for you. Although after about 9pm I can't guarantee that I will drill it centrally
Old 16 Apr 2009, 13:33 (Ref:2442239)   #50
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Casper that exactly what I said in post 10, Stay awake at the back !!!!
I'm not going to re-read the whole thing. I couldn't believe it has gone on for so long when I came back to the thread, it should be fixed and back on the car. Such a simple problem to fix in my view.