Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Oct 2012, 08:37 (Ref:3155287)   #276
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Should they got to a more racing-orientated style of mirror that doesn't protrude so far outside the extremeties of the bodywork?

Or would that bring the usual doomsayers out, with their Sport Sedan-related remarks?
Old 21 Oct 2012, 08:40 (Ref:3155289)   #277
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Should they got to a more racing-orientated style of mirror that doesn't protrude so far outside the extremeties of the bodywork?

Or would that bring the usual doomsayers out, with their Sport Sedan-related remarks?
hey by the way you got your replacement for burnouts that you wanted, something for everyone. We got the Tap Dogs. thanks for that
Old 21 Oct 2012, 08:43 (Ref:3155290)   #278
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Agreed, We ended with two enjoyable finishes, some inetresting strategy as well

I'm still trying to work out How Slade came out in front of Will. It was never really discussed and it appears Will was surprised also.

We need to do something about the Mirrors, and why do we still need tyre bundles and the amount of times drivers just went through the chicane for no reason other than they just stuffed up is ridiculous. They need to penalise drivers in someway for this.
Slade had a good strategy, and they were saying that car was fastest all weekend and as already mentioned Brabham had more time to get used to the car, so they had it above others in a sense.

and I like how he let Winterbottom passd him, Whincup was held up by him for a few laps, but let Frosty pass him like when Moses spread out the Red sea, Davison was great I wonder that restart though, the last restart I think, if Whincup will try to get him penalised for breaking and then firing away and leaving them all for dust.

to fix the mirror issue I reckon they should just move the barriers back about a meter or so, even the aussie cars got so close to them. it would fix some peoples 'strategys' when some teams are trying to force a yellow
Old 21 Oct 2012, 08:44 (Ref:3155291)   #279
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noticed when the internationals had a spin, they seemed to be able to get the car going, or flick spin it or reverse it so as not to bring out the red flag.
Old 21 Oct 2012, 09:00 (Ref:3155295)   #280
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
hey by the way you got your replacement for burnouts that you wanted, something for everyone. We got the Tap Dogs. thanks for that
Ha! Nearly threw the remote through the telly when that lot came out
Old 21 Oct 2012, 09:05 (Ref:3155297)   #281
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Tap Dogs were bit cultural for me, just give me the Miss Indy bikini contest any day.
Old 21 Oct 2012, 10:56 (Ref:3155338)   #282
Bugger All
Racer

Australia
32 DME to the west Left Fl 210
Bugger All should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I much preferred the fourx angles!!!!
Old 21 Oct 2012, 11:21 (Ref:3155348)   #283
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger All View Post
I much preferred the fourx angles!!!!
not only are they hotter , but they can dance! = WIN WIN
(better then watching guys in tapping shoes)

talking bout girls , would like to see Danica Patrick in Nascar to have a go in the V8's. wouldnt that be a sight to see! lol shes got a bit of talent to at least make it on here.
Old 21 Oct 2012, 11:30 (Ref:3155352)   #284
SouthAussie94
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide
SouthAussie94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
talking bout girls , would like to see Danica Patrick in Nascar to have a go in the V8's. wouldnt that be a sight to see! lol shes got a bit of talent to at least make it on here.
Do you mean talent or talent?

Old 21 Oct 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3155363)   #285
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAussie94 View Post
Do you mean talent or talent?

with a body and face like she has got, thats all the talent youd need to race a car in certain series right? LOL!

danicar: hi id like to race in NASCAR

interviwer: so what have you done to qualify for a seat?

danicar: i got assets that would amaze alot of people, and like ..and like... and bring more money into im...and um.....im hot.

interviwer: Your hired!
Old 21 Oct 2012, 12:47 (Ref:3155386)   #286
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post

Fine by me

http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/1...ror%20Set.aspx
Old 21 Oct 2012, 20:01 (Ref:3155544)   #287
team drinkalot
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
team drinkalot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the International drivers were great. So close to the lap times of the main drivers. Loved Mika Salo's passion, thought he was going to belt somebody after getting out of the car on Saturday
Also enjoyed the the fake safety cars employement for debris on the track, always sparks up the racing after safety car.
Old 21 Oct 2012, 22:12 (Ref:3155612)   #288
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Even still, they have plenty of family money and access to helicopters and no doubt private jets if they were willing to cough up to get the parts up from Victoria. Will have to wait for the full story to emerge, perhaps it wasn't just bolt-on parts that were damaged.
Full story: kinked cage

http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/10/22/...habi-v8-event/
Old 21 Oct 2012, 22:49 (Ref:3155629)   #289
douglasjames671
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
douglasjames671 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddouglasjames671 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Channel 7 for the mirrors

I was intrigued to watch, slow mo and close up, of the amount of mirror destruction on that particular corner . . . . however, upon closer attention, the mirrors clearly start to fold in (as they do at Clipsal and other street circuits) until they make contact with that STUPID wall mounted camera . . . seriously, the walls are supposed to be flush with no protrusions, yet the 888 Network were able to keep the camera there, with commentators giggling like school girls with every mirror that got trashed. Ridiculous !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21 Oct 2012, 22:59 (Ref:3155631)   #290
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Some poor direction from 7, missing a few crucial position changes. And the "time certain" finish is utter BS.

Ch 9 manage to go straight from a cricket match to the news or another programme. WTF can't 7 manage it?
I'm aware of the time delay between Qld & the southern states, but to stop the race at 4.15 in Qld & 5.15 in NSW & Vic is crap.

Why not run the race to 4.45 local time? Gives 15 minutes for the podium, and they can still make the 6.00 news in the southern states.

C'on 7, lift your game. 9 can manage it and they're bloody broke!

I was supprised (unpleasently) that the fpr cars did so well on older tyres on Sunday. Over all, I can live with the results.
Old 21 Oct 2012, 23:21 (Ref:3155635)   #291
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
You obviously weren't watching todays race when WD was spinning his wheels while on the jacks, or yesterdays when DR was doing the same.

Neither of these drivers drive for T8
I watched the pit-stops on replay looking for the spinning wheels........the only one I saw was when the pit-stop was completed, first gear engaged and just as the car was dropped........Frosty I think it was.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 04:24 (Ref:3155700)   #292
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
I watched the pit-stops on replay looking for the spinning wheels........the only one I saw was when the pit-stop was completed, first gear engaged and just as the car was dropped........Frosty I think it was.
Watch closer. They spun as he was pumping the brake pedal (not even a full rotation, but they weren't stopped as is the rule).

Personally i dont give 2 tosses about which way the rule is, just make it consistant for all.
The rule was rewitten after T8 exploited the wording, to
Quote:
“The intent has been extended to include that the wheels can’t be spinning before the car hits the ground, something the officials can quickly asses and rule on.

“The only variation to this is if the team has the express permission from the Category Technical Manager to spin the wheels in the case of checking damage or similar. If that permission is granted they must stop the wheels spinning before the car is released from the air jacks.”
WD broke this rule, and DR broke it yesterday, yet no penalty (MW got one a few rounds back for the same thing.

Last edited by STEALTHY; 22 Oct 2012 at 04:30.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 04:31 (Ref:3155704)   #293
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
During any Pit Stop, from the time the Car leaves the ground until it returns to the ground, it is
not permitted to have the clutch engaged to cause the rear wheels to rotate unless prior
approval is given by the CTM
The rule is not quite as you are saying it

was the clutch engaged that caused the real wheels to spin ? or did they just free spin when the brakes was released?

Also be confident that there would never have been a penalty for DR as he was a DNF. the correct penalty is a drive through, no use giving it to him and as a result they wouldnt have wasted any significant time on the issue
Old 22 Oct 2012, 13:02 (Ref:3155869)   #294
TerryK
Racer

TerryK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what a joke

Was busy all weekend & recorded both days, just started watching the race from Sat. what a joke..up to the 2nd red flag so far, don't know if I'll bother watching the rest !!!!

Cheers Terry
Old 22 Oct 2012, 20:11 (Ref:3156033)   #295
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos WTF View Post
Some poor direction from 7, missing a few crucial position changes. And the "time certain" finish is utter BS.

Ch 9 manage to go straight from a cricket match to the news or another programme. WTF can't 7 manage it?
I'm aware of the time delay between Qld & the southern states, but to stop the race at 4.15 in Qld & 5.15 in NSW & Vic is crap.

Why not run the race to 4.45 local time? Gives 15 minutes for the podium, and they can still make the 6.00 news in the southern states.

C'on 7, lift your game. 9 can manage it and they're bloody broke!

I was supprised (unpleasently) that the fpr cars did so well on older tyres on Sunday. Over all, I can live with the results.
TOTALLY agree ch9 got hammered many years ago for cutting last over of cricket to go to news.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 04:33 (Ref:3156237)   #296
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
TOTALLY agree ch9 got hammered many years ago for cutting last over of cricket to go to news.
Apparently, there WAS a motor race going on ... in between the advertisements and pitstops. Seriously, Must we watch every single pitstop? Even when the car is 2 laps down? Must we watch every wrecked/retired car being loaded on to jacks and pushed into the garage??? Must we watch every mirror fall off in supe Slo-Mo???
Motor racing telecasts are just ****e nowadays (even though the commentary team is the best)
Old 23 Oct 2012, 06:59 (Ref:3156274)   #297
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6 View Post
Apparently, there WAS a motor race going on ... in between the advertisements and pitstops. Seriously, Must we watch every single pitstop? Even when the car is 2 laps down? Must we watch every wrecked/retired car being loaded on to jacks and pushed into the garage??? Must we watch every mirror fall off in supe Slo-Mo???
Motor racing telecasts are just ****e nowadays (even though the commentary team is the best)
It might be the only chance for that teams sponsor to get some exposure.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 21:21 (Ref:3156703)   #298
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Moving the barriers back at a corner won't have any real effect, as the drivers will simply utilize the extra room to go just that little bit quicker.

On the mirrors, like I said, maybe you just need to have them inside. Actually, with the trend in road cars, why not just have a back-up camera, and a little video screen on the console or where the rear-view mirror would be?

I think the finish line should stay put where it is (having that long drag to the line is a good thing). However, I think maybe they should move the starting grid back. Say, have all but the first 2-3 rows of the grid before where the pit wall starts. The grid should still fit on the "straight" that way, but it will give most of the field just that little extra room to maneuver.

At the Osterreichring, F1 pulled off 12 clean starts in 1970-81. In the final six runnings there (1982-87), there were two clean starts. There were accidents before Hella Licht in 1982, '84, '85, and '87. There were four red flags on the start: 1984, '85, and two in 1987. Previous to that, there had been one red flag, in 1978, due to a rain shower about half-a-dozen laps in, when cars were going off the track everywhere.

Why is this relevant? Between the 1981 and 1982 Austrian Grands Prix, the pit entry was modified (adding a little chicane), and the pit wall was extended back up the grid a few more rows. Up through 1981, only the first 2-3 rows were contained between the outside guardrail and the pit wall. For 1982-87, five rows or so were in the sandwich between the barriers. The timing of the change in the success rate of starts, and the modification of the pit entry, seems a bit more than just a coincidence given how clear a distinction there is from before and after.

And back to Surfers Paradise, for the 18 CART/IndyCar events, there is quite a contrast here as well. The first nine races (1991-99) saw just one bad start (1994). The second nine races saw just one clean start (2006); every other year, in the period of 2000-08, there was a spin and/or incident by the second chicane on the opening lap. And what changed between 1999 and 2000? The areas behind the curbing in the chicanes went from grass/gravel to pavement. And again, while correlation may not equal causation, a correlation this strong is too obvious to dismiss or ignore.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 23:45 (Ref:3156768)   #299
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by osrg View Post
Fantastic win for Wilbo and a great stint from Mika Salo.

3 international drivers that are a cut above the rest for me are Bourdais, Salo and Lieb for mine, with Bourdais being the top dog, but all 3 had outstanding weekends.
Add Briscoe to that list - he was spectacular all weekend, making up for the tardy qualifying performances of his co-driver...
Old 24 Oct 2012, 02:05 (Ref:3156814)   #300
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Interesting reading!!!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103657
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish