Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 15 Nov 2002, 16:36 (Ref:429327)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Remembering the Grand Prix at Brands Hatch

I was looking for some Brands photos the other day and came across some of various Grands Prix at the circuit.
What a fantastic place it was for the British GP, unlike today's sterile circuits. Looking at these pics reminds me of how close you could get and how crowded it got too!
This one shows the marshals clearing up after the start shunt in the '86 GP. Just look at the crowd on South Bank!
Attached Thumbnails
bh1.jpg  
Old 15 Nov 2002, 16:38 (Ref:429328)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The first lap on the Cooper Straight.
Attached Thumbnails
bhcoopst.jpg  
Old 15 Nov 2002, 16:40 (Ref:429331)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
A view from the stand at the exit of Clearways.
Attached Thumbnails
bhtopst.jpg  
Old 15 Nov 2002, 16:42 (Ref:429334)   #4
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Pretty crowded up at Druids!
Attached Thumbnails
bhdownh.jpg  
Old 15 Nov 2002, 16:42 (Ref:429336)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Okay, well you see the little dot right at the back under the "K" of the NGK banner at Clearways? That's me, that is!
Old 15 Nov 2002, 16:44 (Ref:429338)   #6
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Any vantage point will do - Clearways in 84.
Attached Thumbnails
bhclear.jpg  
Old 15 Nov 2002, 16:48 (Ref:429343)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
How times change!
The McLaren pits at the 1984 GP.
Attached Thumbnails
bhpits.jpg  
Old 15 Nov 2002, 16:48 (Ref:429344)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!

Oh I wish that I could travel back to those days, What I wouldn't give for the days of proper racing and proper treatment of fans, these pictures show what half of motor racing is about, getting close to the action!

Thanks for those Andrew, your lucky to have been able to experience those days! Oh what I would give for that!
Old 15 Nov 2002, 16:51 (Ref:429347)   #9
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The Red Arrows do their stuff over the Cooper Straight.
Air displays are no longer allowed over the spectator areas.
The Brands air displays were legendary. Apologies for the aircraft appearing as small dots...at least you can see the smoke!
Attached Thumbnails
bhredarr.jpg  
Old 15 Nov 2002, 16:55 (Ref:429350)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Up to Druids. A classic Brands shot.
Attached Thumbnails
bhuphill.jpg  
Old 15 Nov 2002, 19:16 (Ref:429442)   #11
racing fxgt
Racer

racing fxgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a Grand Prix shot,but remember when you could go to Brands, stand where you want,and no grandstands to block your view.
Attached Thumbnails
brands.jpg  
Old 16 Nov 2002, 08:51 (Ref:429770)   #12
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually thats what it is like now.They only put up the stands for major events.Since they demolished the only decent stand in UK (with toilets & bar)there are less stand seats than in 1955 & none under cover.
Old 16 Nov 2002, 14:18 (Ref:429935)   #13
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
if air displys are not allowed over spectator areas how does goodwood do it?
Old 16 Nov 2002, 14:36 (Ref:429939)   #14
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Because the display area is deemed to be the area over the actual airstrip. Any overflight of the crowd at either end of the runway at Madgwick and Lavant is regarded as "positioning" and should be done at an appropriate height for safety. If you look carefully, the loops and the formation flying and the low passes are all meticulously positioned within the live airfield part of the site.

It usually works out that way...

The scary bit is the actual landings. If you're standing on the bank at Madgwick, the landing approach to the main runway is a bit too close for comfort.
Old 16 Nov 2002, 14:57 (Ref:429941)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Brands 1986. Jack Lafferty's last GP start. As I recall Thierry Boutsen got a left hand wheel on the grass and spun across the track into a bunch of others. Laffite took avoiding action and the nose of his car got stuck under the Armco and crushed poor Jacque's feet. I believe Dr Jonathan Palmer was the first medic on the scene.

It allowed Mansell to restart as his drive shaft had broken within fifteen metres of the start. Mansell had won the European GP (his first) the previous October and this was his fourth win of the season and the first of his two British GP wins over his team mate Piquet. What made it ironic was that he was driving Piquet's spare.

We were in the Renault Stand at Clearways.

Anyway, that's how I remember it. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

And Tim. I waved but you obviously didn't see me.
Old 16 Nov 2002, 15:15 (Ref:429950)   #16
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Curses! I must have been looking the other way!
Old 16 Nov 2002, 17:29 (Ref:430023)   #17
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was one of the flag marshals on Post 3 that day, so it all happened practically under my feet. Scary or what!! Boutsen actually turned sharp left just before braking for Paddock. He hit the barrier and ripped off an advertising banner (they were subsequently never allowed to tie them on again). The car then rolled back onto the track requiring some magnificant avoidance manouvres from almost everyone including Stefan Johannsen in his Ferrari who moved to the right crowding out poor Jacques who hit a very solid sleeper that was suporting the protecting Armco over the top of the tunnel. Can't be sure about JP's involvement, but Richard Cuene Grandidier (he of Kermit Proton Saloon fame) was the first incident marshal on the scene, and being fluent in French stayed with Jacques until he was helicoptered out. My overriding memory? The b***** gutter press who stampeded onto the marshals post to get a better look at the "action". Sick....
Old 16 Nov 2002, 20:21 (Ref:430082)   #18
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can do one better as I competed that day! I drove in the Thundersports race which took place immediately after the Grand Prix. There were still huge crowds around the circuit as we went round on our warm up lap. A quite amazing atmosphere!
Old 16 Nov 2002, 21:35 (Ref:430110)   #19
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More memories from that weekend, which was not a good one for Lafitte as I recall watching him coast down the hill from Druids with his Ligier well ablaze during practice on Saturday. This was in the days of F1 Rocket Fuel that had been described as having similar propereties to Napalm and I have never seen fire marshals react quite as quickly as they did that afternoon! As for the Thundersports race, was that the one where Rupert Keegan made a guest appearance driving a gorgeous Toj that collided with a car leaving the pits (again, opposite Post 3!!) and spectacularly going off into the kitty litter shedding bodywork in a dramatic fashion??
Old 17 Nov 2002, 09:34 (Ref:430397)   #20
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Was that the race when John Foulston's huge Can-Am Lola thundersports car had masses of blue smoke every time he turned left from oil leaking onto the RH manifold?
Where are these cars? Bring Thundersports back!
Old 17 Nov 2002, 09:53 (Ref:430406)   #21
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Here is a Thundersports race at Brands, but not at the GP. I think it is 1986.
Tim Lee-Davey's Porsche, Mike Blanchet's Lola, not sure on the 3rd car, the black one - any ideas?, Ian Taylor's Lola and Duncan Bain's Chevron.
Attached Thumbnails
thunder01.jpg  
Old 17 Nov 2002, 09:56 (Ref:430408)   #22
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
From the same race, Mike O'Brien's Shrike, a Chevron B8, another Chevron, Harrier and Mallock.
Attached Thumbnails
thunder2.jpg  
Old 17 Nov 2002, 14:27 (Ref:430547)   #23
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just dug out the results sheets from my files, 41 cars practiced for the GP support race.Pole was Foulston and Brindley in their Can Am Lola with Prater and Flux also on the front row. The race was won by Foulstons car with Wallis and Hoy second and Piper and Needell third.The car owner, Del Bennett, and yours truly finished 28th in our Sports 2000 Lola 596.This car probably had about 400hp less than Foulstons!
Old 17 Nov 2002, 16:20 (Ref:430592)   #24
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
Here is a Thundersports race at Brands, but not at the GP. I think it is 1986.
Tim Lee-Davey's Porsche, Mike Blanchet's Lola, not sure on the 3rd car, the black one - any ideas?, Ian Taylor's Lola and Duncan Bain's Chevron.
Hey Andrew, I know my old man did Thundersports in 1984, racing a Tiga ( I think).

Btw, have you any pictures of Tim? Let me know if you do!
Old 17 Nov 2002, 17:03 (Ref:430604)   #25
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Tim Lee-Davey's Thundersports result for the 1984 British GP support was 8th, driving Tiga TS84 number 42, and he was sharing the driving with Gary Brabham.