Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Oct 2003, 14:08 (Ref:738077)   #1
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
R9 delayed until 2005?

Theres a note on autosport that say the R9 is likely to be delayed until 2005.

Does this have any significance I wonder. It could mean that VAG are not going to have a works team in 2004 ofr that the Lambo will be the focus of their effort or even that Bentley will be given another chance. I hope the latter but I doubt it somehow.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 14:42 (Ref:738121)   #2
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yeah but without a factory Audi .. thing could be intresting .. the battle of the pivateers could be intrsting ..

Ciao Marco
Old 2 Oct 2003, 15:42 (Ref:738162)   #3
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
yes perhaps they think that they can get another win without having to spent any money, and they should give the teams that have bought cars from them a chance to win the big one themselves
Old 2 Oct 2003, 15:51 (Ref:738173)   #4
cntmunky
Rookie

cntmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi surely dont need to do it again. Theyve won 3 on the trot, given the bone now to Bently, so should pull out and get the money in from customer teams. Spend the money on a F1 project if you want to prove anything VW.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 16:12 (Ref:738193)   #5
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cntmunky
Spend the money on a F1 project if you want to prove anything VW.
like toyota, ford, honda...
Old 2 Oct 2003, 16:38 (Ref:738230)   #6
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
like toyota, ford, honda...
they've really proved a lot havn't they. I think Audi have got a lot more to show for a lot less money dont you?
Old 2 Oct 2003, 17:40 (Ref:738286)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by cntmunky
Spend the money on a F1 project if you want to prove anything VW.

No way.

Criminal waste of money.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 18:38 (Ref:738354)   #8
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest I'm not suprise, but I still think we might see one on the grid next year.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 19:06 (Ref:738383)   #9
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who came up with the designation R9? I doubt it will be called that. Ive never seen a V9
Old 2 Oct 2003, 19:08 (Ref:738387)   #10
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would rather spend the F1 cost of entry money on running a car in every racing series on the planet besides F1. Audi NASCAR, Audi R9, Audi TT GTS, Audi RS6 GT, Audi powered IRL car...you could probably develop all of those for the cost of an F1 race team and the other 600 guys who end up on the payroll somehow
Old 2 Oct 2003, 19:09 (Ref:738390)   #11
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yeah, Audi S4 BTCC and ETCC cars and derivitives for all the like touring, sportscars and GT series...
Old 2 Oct 2003, 19:41 (Ref:738407)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
b'n'c, I like your thinking!

Now, if only Mario Thiessen would stop listening to Gerhard Berger... looks around to make sure Ayse didn't hear me say that
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 2 Oct 2003, 20:22 (Ref:738452)   #13
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's going to be very difficult to make a car faster than the Audi R8 given the current rules, IMHO. Perhaps Audi realizes that doesn't mind getting an extra season out of the R8? Or perhaps development of the new car is going along slower than expected? Or maybe there's no reason to introduce an expensive new car in 2004 when there will be no competition from other manufacturers until 2005, especially considering that the R8 is still the fastest car out there. I can think of several other reasons too.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 23:54 (Ref:738648)   #14
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think it's fair to say that a factory-backed, Joest-run R8 will open a can of whup-ass on the opposition in 2004, so why rush the R9?

The chaps at Ingolstadt are German; they are calculating and efficient. You know it makes sense, ja?
Old 3 Oct 2003, 01:31 (Ref:738681)   #15
Russfeld
Veteran

Its still gonna be the R8...
Old 3 Oct 2003, 05:19 (Ref:738788)   #16
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Agree with BSchneiderFan ; the R8 still can easely win : why bother with a new car, which couldn't be as reliable as the old one ? And they can focus their effort on the GT project (and that's worth it, IMHO, to have this brand new car on the GT grid)...
Old 3 Oct 2003, 23:44 (Ref:739937)   #17
EliseGT1
Racer

EliseGT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Audi's GT project the Seat GT? Since "VW" have split up their makes into two groups in which Audi, Lamborghini and Seat are on the "Sporty" side, Seat has still something to prove... Audi has already achieved enough in Sportscar racing, the Murcielago project is in full swing now, so why wouldn't they put their Seat GT prototype on the grid after that?
Old 4 Oct 2003, 00:00 (Ref:739945)   #18
EliseGT1
Racer

EliseGT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't those multi million dollar R8's and EXP's please stay home for one year? Tom Kristensen must be bored big time by winning over and over and over and over again. Then I can wave to Jan Lammers when he is at the podium sunday 16:00. No bad words about Tom, but has he ever raced Le Mans in other than the best car? No:

97 Joest Porsche
98 BMW Motorsport
99 BMW Motorsport
00 Joest Audi
01 Joest Audi
02 Joest Audi
03 Team Bentley

Sorry for going slightly off topic, but I don't find Tom Kristensen's accomplishments that special....although I still think he's a great driver.
Old 4 Oct 2003, 01:44 (Ref:739970)   #19
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the 96/97 joest porsches were hardly the fastest or the best ...
Old 4 Oct 2003, 08:10 (Ref:740097)   #20
J.J.S.S.Express
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
J.J.S.S.Express should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EliseGT1

97 Joest Porsche
98 BMW Motorsport Mistake ! In 98, Porsche motorsport wins
99 BMW Motorsport
00 Joest Audi
01 Joest Audi
02 Joest Audi
03 Team Bentley
Old 4 Oct 2003, 14:44 (Ref:740322)   #21
Russfeld
Veteran

99% of races are won by the best car. In the case of endurance racing, reliablity is as important as speed.
Old 4 Oct 2003, 16:38 (Ref:740393)   #22
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EliseGT1
Can't those multi million dollar R8's and EXP's please stay home for one year?

Sorry for going slightly off topic, but I don't find Tom Kristensen's accomplishments that special....although I still think he's a great driver.
The same could be said about all the "fast" cars - with this way of thinking we'd end up with the D*bora winning!

If/ when a "smaller" team beats a works outfit it will make the victory true rather than a win by default.
Old 5 Oct 2003, 01:32 (Ref:740710)   #23
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a la 1995
Old 12 Oct 2003, 10:09 (Ref:748069)   #24
Wout
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Wout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Accoording to German newspaper Donaukurier from Ingolstadt Audi is developing the Audi R10. The car is expected to debut in one of the LMES races but will not compete in the 24 hours of Le Mans in 2004.
Team Joest will probably run some factory Audi A4's in DTM next year.

source: autosport.nl
Old 12 Oct 2003, 15:32 (Ref:748437)   #25
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
Who came up with the designation R9? I doubt it will be called that. Ive never seen a V9
Why of course! It was the "Belchfire Bonneville Behemoth V-9. It also featured a camshaft made of rubber (the higher you revved the engine, the more radical the profile became).