Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Oct 2005, 23:30 (Ref:1447983)   #1
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Take A Ride In A Porsche 956!

I stumbled on this collection of videos the other day. The footage includes in-car rides at Le Mans, Silverstone, and the Nurburgring Nordschleife. The videos are a bit lengthy to download, but are well worth it. The footage looks to be from 1983. The Nurburgring run includes commentary from Derek Bell.

http://www.lad.lv/~martini/porsche/d...ub=2&model=956

I also recently ordered an hour-long DVD titled In-Car 956, which I think includes some of this footage. Here's a link to the DVD.

http://www.dukevideo.com/Welcome/DVD...956%20DVD.aspx
Old 9 Nov 2005, 17:57 (Ref:1456501)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My copy of In-Car 956 arrived yesterday and I immediately watched the video. I'll give a short review of my impressions. If the mods would like to move this thread please do so.

Basically, the video includes seven in-car rides with Derek Bell driving a factory Rothman's Porsche 956. The footage is from 1983 and follows the WSC calendar from that year. You also get a bonus ride with Vern Schuppan at Mosport.

The video opens with a few laps at Silverstone. The audio for the Silverstone laps was the worst of the bunch, but you could still just hear the engine note and the tires chirping a bit as he pounds around the circuit. There is no commentary for this portion.

Next you go to the Nurburgring Nordschleife. Derek Bell describes the lap as you ride along. His insight is enjoyable as he tries to relate his experience to you.

Le Mans is next up. This portion features commentary from an unnamed announcer. You ride on Bell’s out lap and a flying lap. In my opinion the ride down the Mulsanne sans chicanes at 240mph is well worth the price of admission. To see the scenery streaking by is truly remarkable.

Spa is next up and features the same commentator as the Le Mans laps. Another great drive through a classic circuit.

Brands Hatch follows. The last three tracks appear to be narrated by Derek Bell himself while driving. That is the impression I got anyways. Fuji is next with a few laps on a drying track with Kylami rounding out the series. The Mosport lap includes no commentary.

All in all, I was extremely pleased with this DVD. I am a great fan of the Porsche 956/962s, so this was a must. The footage is dated, but the quality is reasonable given the time when it was made. Although some might be disappointed as this is not "state of the art." This is no frills racing action. You pretty much get the in-car video, great sounds, manual shifting, oversteer, understeer, bumps, wheelspin, an odd shifting noise that must be akin to the 956, and some commentary.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1456524)   #3
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manual shifting... - wasn't it the PDK car Bell used for these camera rides? That would account for the strange noise.
Also, they change gear manually today as well. Just not with a stick shift.

Great sound - well you said it yourself, you are a fan of the 956/962, a car which I like to consider one of the dullest ever.

All joking aside, I also know the DVD, it is a "must have".
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1456525)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In-Car 956 was the first video I ever bought - in 1985, I think.... Its been referred to many times in threads in Armchair Enthusiast.. For the sportscar fan, Derek's runs at Le Mans and the Nurburgring are simply unmissable. If you haven't got this already - you should have. [Isn't the commentator Brian Kreisky?]
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:27 (Ref:1456533)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'Great sound - well you said it yourself, you are a fan of the 956/962, a car which I like to consider one of the dullest ever'

I thought that in the later days of Group C, but once they're gone you start to pine for them.

I'm pretty sick of the 550/575 at the momnet, but they'll be missed.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1456536)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
[Isn't the commentator Brian Kreisky?]
I believe so. He's been gone for a while, too.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:36 (Ref:1456541)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BTW, one thing to watch for is Jacky Ickx. Seems he always knew when the camera was rolling, and made a point of showing off for it.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:37 (Ref:1456544)   #8
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Well geeze cy, thanks for the epitath...

Edit: Yes P-C, Ickx overtakes Bell a few times in the video, as does Stefan Bellof.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1456553)   #9
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Well geeze cy, thanks for the epitath...
I was whistling "nearer my god to thee" as I posted it...
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1456556)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If I remember..... "He's going very fast because he doesn;t have a camera in the car........"...

I miss those 956/962s enormously. But then my first Le Mans was 1986 and I just loved Group C.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1456561)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
LoL, yes Ayse, I did catch that comment as well.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1456592)   #12
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
I believe so. He's been gone for a while, too.

He's dead. He was the producer and director. I think he was killed in a light aircraft / helicopter crash a several years ago.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1456593)   #13
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cat
He's dead.
I know.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1456598)   #14
Splendid Cat
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
I know.

You always do my friend
Old 9 Nov 2005, 20:01 (Ref:1456612)   #15
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
it was a plane crash - failed take off and flew into a building
Old 11 Nov 2005, 01:35 (Ref:1457787)   #16
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
that video scars you. When ever you play GT4 around the ring you'll hear voices in your head!

"There goes Jacky Ickx on his qualifying lap..."
Old 11 Nov 2005, 09:02 (Ref:1457897)   #17
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My favourite bit, and forgive me as I've mentioned it before on here, is where Dellboy runs wide at one corner at high speed, gets on the grass and fairly close to the armco and just mutters "oops!" into the microphone.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 12:52 (Ref:1458066)   #18
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
My favourite bit is on the first lap at Le Mans where as he is accelerating flat out on the Mulsanne he takes one hand off the wheel (I suspect to pick his nose!) whilst overtaking a slower prototype. Genius.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1459666)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I always pick my nose at £200+ mph......... Is that unusual?

Old 13 Nov 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1459689)   #20
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
I always pick my nose at £200+ mph......... Is that unusual?

Only if there's nothing to be had....

jimclark
Old 13 Nov 2005, 21:10 (Ref:1459886)   #21
Splendid Cat
Racer

My fave bit is accelerating through the dunlop curve (pre- girly chicane). Look at the crowds on driver's side and then you get a idea of the speed. Even with a camera in the car. If anybody has got "24 to zero" (the 84 Lm vid) you get the same feeling, but this time its in the race.