Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 22 Nov 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3865002)   #2551
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Brexit reports have gone very quiet.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 13:53 (Ref:3865003)   #2552
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Nothing happening, that’s why!

EDIT- Spain is not happy about Gibraltar and possibly losing chance to fish OUR waters........

So nothing new.

Last edited by Mike Bell; 22 Nov 2018 at 14:07.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 14:02 (Ref:3865006)   #2553
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Anoraks of the world unite!
Dyslexics of the world untie!
Old 22 Nov 2018, 14:10 (Ref:3865010)   #2554
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Nothing happening, that’s why!

EDIT- Spain is not happy about Gibraltar and possibly losing chance to fish OUR waters........

So nothing new.
They don't get right of Veto but they will be allowed to fish our waters. I'm not entirely certain that the word "exit" is understood by the political class.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 14:51 (Ref:3865020)   #2555
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I'm not entirely certain that the word "exit" is understood by the political class.

I think that you are right. Even when our MPs leave parliament, they still get paid for a period; the excuse is so that they can re-establish themselves in the civilian world. And that does not into account how much they may be earning from outside politics.

And even worse is that past Prime Ministers are permitted to claim over £100,000 (I can't remember whether it's £115k or £150k) a year for expenses that are incurred by them in conjunction with their past position as PM - and they are not legally required to provide accounts or receipts.

And on top of that, they also get bloody good pensions at retirement age!
Old 22 Nov 2018, 15:19 (Ref:3865023)   #2556
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
They don't get right of Veto but they will be allowed to fish our waters. I'm not entirely certain that the word "exit" is understood by the political class.
On the other hand (unless things have changed a lot in recent times) the last time I read much about the UK fishing industry there was not much of it left in terms of boats, crew and processing plant and most of what there was had become Spanish owned.

One could point to similarities with the Electricity Generation market and indeed Gas supplies, depending on how one thinks of 'ownership' amongst the oil and gas majors.

Taking that line a stage further our 'National Carrier' airline is pretty much Spanish and one of our most used (formerly) budget airlines is Irish. The other may not be entirely British by ownership and of course the one with which Beardy is associated seems to be owned by people on a different planet.

The car industry is hardly Brit owned and the larger of the more traditional names associated with it seem to be moving elsewhere, especially Eastern Europe, as fast as their battery power allows them.

In terms of Engineering and manufacturing they are not the only ones heading East.

Maybe we should just point out the Spanish fishing companies that they would simply get the opportunity to negotiate improved "landed" prices for their catch since in the absence of their fleet fish supply networks in the UK would probably collapse.

I have to agree about the understanding of 'Exit'. That said perhaps it is marginally more subtle than that. After all "tried and failed" and then remained could be an objective not too dissimilar in outcome to what 'Brussels' achieved with Eire a while back.

Obviously bullying 70M people in the UK could be a little more challenging than 5M in Eire so a different tactic would be required. Although perhaps not so different when one looks at it.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 15:30 (Ref:3865026)   #2557
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Workshop day today been taking out drive shafts and looking at them.Also looked at wheel alignment aswell.Very interesting but a bit muddly working on Vauxhall Corsa race cars
Old 22 Nov 2018, 17:00 (Ref:3865041)   #2558
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
That would be a challenge if it's a 124 Max, they were rear wheel drive!
What a plonker I am.

M

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 22 Nov 2018, 17:05 (Ref:3865042)   #2559
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Regarding Brexit, I said from the very beginning that we wouldn't be allowed to leave.

Delta, currently we have a "deal" which is pretty rubbish but keeps the status quo. On the surface anyway. Expect a reasonable bit of time to go by for the oldest Leavers to shuffle off this mortal coil then a re-match at the ballot box.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 22 Nov 2018, 18:12 (Ref:3865062)   #2560
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I said from the very beginning that we wouldn't be allowed to leave.
I think i read somewhere that Tony Blair said this.Interesting thoughts.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3865063)   #2561
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think we sold have a second binding referendum, and if we vote to leave again we should have another referendum. If the vote is to remain we should have another referendum. That should sort it out once and for all ………

………………………. and if it doesn't we will have a refer...…...
Old 22 Nov 2018, 18:38 (Ref:3865064)   #2562
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I think we sold have a second binding referendum, and if we vote to leave again we should have another referendum. If the vote is to remain we should have another referendum. That should sort it out once and for all ………

………………………. and if it doesn't we will have a refer...…...
Isn't that normal EU procedure? They do like you to get the answer right!

Has anyone here ever come across that bonkers Belgian Verhofstadt in historic racing? I'm pretty sure I came face-to-face with him at a show earlier this year, but he so took me by surprise he had swept by before I could think of a suitable comment!
Old 22 Nov 2018, 19:07 (Ref:3865068)   #2563
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Remember what happened with Greece? They just said "we know we ow you money but, sorry, can't pay so get lost, please…" Should you quit Brussels rather brutally do you think they could fine you? How that?
Our instances are scared for many reasons one is probably they dont want to make a referendum too, knowing the result in advance…
Old 22 Nov 2018, 19:53 (Ref:3865071)   #2564
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would be interesting to see a situation where, for example, Italy made an exist and a number of East European countries joined along with Ukraine and Turkey.

Of course there is something more than 2000 years of history about the area and its tribes, indigenous or in-coming, 'working together' in some form of harmony.

I like the idea of moving to Luxembourg where, apparently, one has the highest standard of living and per-capita income in europe.

How did that happen?
Old 22 Nov 2018, 20:18 (Ref:3865074)   #2565
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In truth I find it saf that leaving and it's supporters are characterised as xenophobes and racists when all we wanted was to be a single sovereign country. It has absolutely nothing to do with free movement of people, or immigration. Just all about governing ourselves again. But apparently I'm a racist and a xenophobe.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 20:34 (Ref:3865079)   #2566
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
In truth I find it saf that leaving and it's supporters are characterised as xenophobes and racists when all we wanted was to be a single sovereign country. It has absolutely nothing to do with free movement of people, or immigration. Just all about governing ourselves again. But apparently I'm a racist and a xenophobe.
I seem to recall that the original question back in the 70s was something to do with trading arrangements and only possible because General De Gaulle was no longer in a position to say 'Non'.

After that our ever less competent politician took that decision to be permission to allow them to move all "responsibility" for decisions to unelected bureaucrats whilst retaining the apparent kudos of being a 'lawmaker', as the Americans call them, and appearing to retain some control over the actions of their electorate.

Hence we end up with Clowns to the right of us, chokers to the left and we end up stuck in the middle with a ewe. (It helps if you can remember the way the tune goes.)

Meanwhile we have, apparently, the possibility of up to 3000 imported doctors who may not be doctors at all. (Some might claim that it is similar in the case of footballers. Not easy to tell which problem is the more important.)

And an over arching 'Court of Justice' that may or may not be staffed with competent judges.

It's a strange world.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 20:34 (Ref:3865080)   #2567
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The term 'racist' is banded around so often, frequently incorrectly, that it has ceased to have any meaning.

Likewise, anyone even slightly to the right of Corbyn is branded as being 'far right'. It no longer has any meaning.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 20:49 (Ref:3865081)   #2568
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
xenophobe. Was that not an ABBA song.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 21:02 (Ref:3865085)   #2569
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
xenophobe. Was that not an ABBA song.
Can't remember, but who did Xanadu?
Old 22 Nov 2018, 21:07 (Ref:3865087)   #2570
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Xanadu.

You seem to have a choice of Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich or Olivia Newton-John with ELO.

I would never have guessed that possible combination.

ETA: The memorable version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGICPpr2pXA

Last edited by grantp; 22 Nov 2018 at 21:16.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 21:16 (Ref:3865091)   #2571
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Xanadu.

You seem to have a choice of Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich or Olivia Newton-John with ELO.

Thanks Grant,

Dave Dee & Co - I remember now. I think I've still got the record somewhere!
Old 22 Nov 2018, 21:17 (Ref:3865092)   #2572
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Thanks Grant,

Dave Dee & Co - I remember now. I think I've still got the record somewhere!

Back up one to see my added link.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 21:22 (Ref:3865095)   #2573
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Xanadu.

ETA: The memorable version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGICPpr2pXA
I said it was one of them.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 21:23 (Ref:3865096)   #2574
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Anyway can we all get back to finding my fuel cap please.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 21:25 (Ref:3865097)   #2575
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Back up one to see my added link.

Thank you! That brought a few memories back.
Closed Thread