Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Dec 2005, 15:01 (Ref:1491970)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BMW diesel LMP1?

Its being reported on DSC, via 'Autospista' magazine, that BMW could race a diesel LMP at Le Mans in 2008.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 15:37 (Ref:1492002)   #2
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
panoz.lmp1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understood that in Spain is a rumour that BMW could run a Diesel in LeMans 2008...
Old 30 Dec 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1492005)   #3
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Its being reported on DSC, via 'Autospista' magazine, that BMW could race a diesel LMP at Le Mans in 2008.
Can't see the article, perhaps it's been pulled already. But with Audi and Peugeot already involved with diesel LMP projects it was surely only a matter of time before BMW joined the party. And I doubt they'll be the last........
Old 30 Dec 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1492008)   #4
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Why would it be a matter of time for a BMW diesel project?
Old 30 Dec 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1492021)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Because diesel road car sales will overtake petrol in the next couple of years?

Just a thought.

Diesel is just the start, alternative powered Le Mans cars will appeal to the racing dpts., the eco lobby, the marketing dpt, and most importantly the board.

And being so unique in the racing world, alternative powered programs can be justified alongside F1, DTM, WRC, WTCC etc.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1492023)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Can't see the article, perhaps it's been pulled already. But with Audi and Peugeot already involved with diesel LMP projects it was surely only a matter of time before BMW joined the party. And I doubt they'll be the last........
It's at the bottom of the 'European cars heading to Brazil' article.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1492033)   #7
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz.lmp1
Why would it be a matter of time for a BMW diesel project?
They are competing in the same market sector as Audi (amongst others). The proportion of sales of diesel powered cars is on the up with this trend set to continue. BMW market their brand as being 'sporting' and back this up with their motor racing programme. Where better for BMW to prove their diesel product on the world stage than at Le Mans against the likes of Audi (in particular) and Peugeot. And there are other manufacturers I'd be not at all surprised to see racing diesels at Le Mans over the next few years. Mercedes being the most obvious but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a manufacturer from the GM or Ford stables announce a project.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 16:36 (Ref:1492036)   #8
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
It's at the bottom of the 'European cars heading to Brazil' article.
Cheers Jag, I hadn't spotted it. Rather well hidden........
Old 30 Dec 2005, 19:15 (Ref:1492111)   #9
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
mmm...a bmw diesel lmp run by...sauber?

seriously with their investment in f1 does bmw have the euro to spend on a sportscar project...or perhaps bmw can't afford not to be involved? if audi win le mans with a diesel and market that win properly...say auf weiderschen to the bmw company car..
Old 30 Dec 2005, 19:17 (Ref:1492114)   #10
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I understood that in Spain is a rumour that BMW could run a Diesel in LeMans 2008...
Maybe they confused this diesel LMP with the race BMW 120d (245 bhp and 95.000 euro) developed for endurance racing.

Very easy to misjudge the rumor of a diesel powered endurance project with a LMP car
Old 30 Dec 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1492151)   #11
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As an ex-BMW employee I may be a little biased but BMW diesels are excellent machines. I'm sure they'd want to go up and beat Audi with one.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 22:38 (Ref:1492215)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr
mmm...a bmw diesel lmp run by...sauber?

seriously with their investment in f1 does bmw have the euro to spend on a sportscar project...or perhaps bmw can't afford not to be involved? if audi win le mans with a diesel and market that win properly...say auf weiderschen to the bmw company car..

Two fold, they can't afford to be outdone by Audi in such a large, emerging market, plus alternative fuels are not just a play thing to gain a racing advantage, the technology needs to be developed for the real world and what better place to develop it than competitive motorsport.

Whats more importat, promoting the well established 3 series in the WTCC, or developing and promoting diesel, or whatever fuel, that is your companies long term future.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1492230)   #13
MikkoJalonen
Rookie

Finland
Pirkkala,Finland
MikkoJalonen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be great if all old team would be back soon,I really wish Le Mans would come to its shiny days again but still I miss the LM-GTP cars so much.

I dont know but I want to add my CPU driven Le Mans,if you are intrested please check the racing games/simulations area.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1492390)   #14
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't forget that they can build a diesel version for the WTCC any time they want...
Old 31 Dec 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1492437)   #15
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
BMW has won the 24 hours of the Nurburgring with a 320 diesel in 1998.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1492526)   #16
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW have been making the best performance diesels for years and i can't see why them building a diesel racing car would be a suprise, i would have thought it had been planned years ago, audi have merely announced it earlier
Old 1 Jan 2006, 02:47 (Ref:1492715)   #17
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Everything you wrote is right. But on the other hand i saw that AUDI sold more than 50% TDI engines. I don´t know the exact number of BMW diesel engines, but i´m sure that this is less than 20% ...
currently i´ve the problem that i can argue both sides, but don´t believe that they will come back with a diesel engine
Old 1 Jan 2006, 09:04 (Ref:1492747)   #18
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Everything you wrote is right. But on the other hand i saw that AUDI sold more than 50% TDI engines. I don´t know the exact number of BMW diesel engines, but i´m sure that this is less than 20% ...
Even more reason to want to challenge the diesel 'market leaders'!

Quote:
currently i´ve the problem that i can argue both sides, but don´t believe that they will come back with a diesel engine
Likewise, but I believe they will. Perhaps, having gone so many years without any real (big budget) manufacturer opposition for Audi (/Bentley) we can't quite believe it's happening!

If they do return in 2008, I'm pretty sure it would be with a diesel. The current rules dictate a distinct bias in favour of diesel power. If they were to return with a petrol LMP, my guess is that it would be an LMP2, to take on Porsche.

I reckon that last (LMP2) suggestion makes a diesel LMP1 look the much more likely option. LMP2 makes less sense as a marketing/development tool, although I'm sure BMW are also after a bigger chunk of Porsche's market share.
Old 2 Jan 2006, 18:40 (Ref:1493584)   #19
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole
Don't forget that they can build a diesel version for the WTCC any time they want...
But racing diesels only really come into their own in endurance racing, because of the better fuel consumption (and, to an extent, better torque); so the sprint format of the WTCC wouldn't really suit a diesel.
Old 2 Jan 2006, 19:41 (Ref:1493627)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and, I don't think, the rules aren't as favourable for diesels with respect to power in touring cars.
Old 2 Jan 2006, 22:03 (Ref:1493724)   #21
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
But racing diesels only really come into their own in endurance racing, because of the better fuel consumption (and, to an extent, better torque); so the sprint format of the WTCC wouldn't really suit a diesel.
Rules can be changed if marketing needs dictate so. Let's not forget that the purpose of series like WTCC is to suit manufacturers' needs.
Old 2 Jan 2006, 22:29 (Ref:1493743)   #22
nicos935
Rookie

nicos935 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hello man, come on and visit us in France and you gonna see how much more than 20% of the BMW sold are dieselpowered.
Old 2 Jan 2006, 23:00 (Ref:1493753)   #23
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a surprisingly large amount of BMW diesels on the roads. They're surprisingly nippy n'all!
Old 2 Jan 2006, 23:08 (Ref:1493757)   #24
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Didn't young Jenson get nicked by les flics for pedalling a diesel Beemer somewhat too rapidly?
Old 3 Jan 2006, 02:35 (Ref:1493818)   #25
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1, WTCC and Dakar with factory efforts along with the rumoured M6 GT car and now a suspected LMP1 entry. That's an awfully large and expensive commitment to motorsport, hopefully they don't do a Bentley and leave as quickly as they arrive.