Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Oct 2007, 10:25 (Ref:2039119)   #1
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso's current state of mind

As Fernando Alonso's off-track behaviour becomes increasingly erratic, and to be honest, downright bizarre, there seems to be a feeling amongst many observers that he has undone all of the goodwill he has built up over his career. Of course racing drivers should ideally be rated on their ability and performances, not their temperament, but is anybody else disappointed in Fernando?
Old 13 Oct 2007, 10:37 (Ref:2039127)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alonso will either do something silly like another Hungary or a similar level of cheating OR make a mistake like he did in Fuji. Let's put it this way, I doubt it will be an on track duel which decides the WDC.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 11:26 (Ref:2039147)   #3
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk
As Fernando Alonso's off-track behaviour becomes increasingly erratic, and to be honest, downright bizarre, there seems to be a feeling amongst many observers that he has undone all of the goodwill he has built up over his career. Of course racing drivers should ideally be rated on their ability and performances, not their temperament, but is anybody else disappointed in Fernando?
His behaviour has harmed his reputation, undoubtedly, but I wouldn't say I was dissapointed in him. He's been under a hell of a lot of pressure this season, and I can't say that I'd react any differently under similar strain.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 12:26 (Ref:2039188)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think his reputation has certainly been damaged in Britain, but this is more due to everyone thinking Hamilton is the second coming.

Don't know what it would be like in Spain, but considering the guy is a hero, and he's driving for a British team, no doubt some of the public buy into some of his more bizarre accusations.

A lot of it is in his own mind, but he's believing it so much now that he's seeing it as absolute truth. I think it's sad that it has come to this.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 13:02 (Ref:2039207)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think his reputation has certainly been damaged in Britain, but this is more due to everyone thinking Hamilton is the second coming.
Inaccurate, and I live in this country, so with all due respect, I'm better able to judge the views of many motorsport fans here on this matter than yourself.

I think most people rate Hamilton because he's so obviously very talented, and if he happens to be British, well then it gives us a new sports star to cheer for. Simple.

As for Alonso, yes I'm very disappointed in him. It seems strange for me to think that a year ago I was cheering for him wanting him to win the championship.

The way I see him now, he has made himself look a fool. He moans about not getting number 1 status when his driving this year did nothing to warrant it. Thus far, he has been beaten by a rookie, and I'm guessing feels like a bit of an idiot, thus comes out with all these comments (although he may be paranoid about unequal treatment as well, which is also silly).

The thing is, it didn't have to be like this. Inside his own mind, he has obviously acknowledged Hamilton's talent. So why didn't he accept this, and accept that losing to Hamilton is not the crying shame he has been presenting it to be?

He would have come out of this with a lot more respect from many people, both in the sport, and the fans, if he had acted this way. As it is, he has made himself look largely like the sulker much of the media has portrayed him to be. So, let's not instantly vilify the motorsport media for everything here- he has brought this on himself.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 16:18 (Ref:2039297)   #6
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
The way I see him now, he has made himself look a fool. He moans about not getting number 1 status when his driving this year did nothing to warrant it. Thus far, he has been beaten by a rookie, and I'm guessing feels like a bit of an idiot, thus comes out with all these comments (although he may be paranoid about unequal treatment as well, which is also silly).
I agree - I think things that Alonso has done and said have been manipulated by the media here to make his behaviour seem worse than it was, but he's done a pretty good job of making himself look bad without any help from the media. The average motorsport fan isn't hyping up Hamilton to be some kind of demi-God, they're just recognising his talent, and that goes for British motorsport fans as well.

I think Alonso's behaviour has been disappointing this season - some of it has been overexaggerated, but things like the incident in the pits in Hungary we've seen for ourselves. He's a double world champion, he's immensely talented, and he should relish the opportunity to compete against a team-mate who has the capability to match him. Instead he's choosing to complain and sulk, and it's a real shame.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 13 Oct 2007, 16:57 (Ref:2039316)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think that most of this negative stuff about Alonso will go away quite quickly once the season is over, It will be forgotten within a matter of weeks..It seems to me that this has been just a juicy story for the news media to milk the daylights out of, because negative news sells far more good news..

I bet if one were to sit down with Alonso over a beer and ask him what all the fuss has been over this season, for the most part he would look surprised and say something like " "the media are going to say whatever they want aren't they" and I never meant that! I meant this...
Old 13 Oct 2007, 18:31 (Ref:2039360)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
I bet if one were to sit down with Alonso over a beer and ask him what all the fuss has been over this season, for the most part he would look surprised and say something like " "the media are going to say whatever they want aren't they" and I never meant that! I meant this...
Maybe after five or six you will get to know the truth.

Well for a guy who commited the only visible bit of sabotage (Hungary) and who was implicated personally in the espionage matter (his team mate wasn't),he seems to be getting off pretty lightly if you ask me.

As for his present state of mind.......Well you wouldn't want to cut him up on the Motorway would you!
Old 13 Oct 2007, 18:44 (Ref:2039365)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Especially in the UK, the media have spun things against Fernando recently, but the season hasn't boosted his reputation as a man. He hasn't coped with having a competitive team-mate, and seems to be lashing out too readily. It could all come together and cost him the title.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 20:13 (Ref:2039398)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been surprised by fernando's moments this year, but not really disappointed.

I will only be disappointed if he starts ramming people off the track.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 20:55 (Ref:2039430)   #11
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
surely he should be fired
Old 13 Oct 2007, 22:23 (Ref:2039484)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

I will only be disappointed if he starts ramming people off the track.
Well he wouldn't be the first one to do that would he.

If his intention is for himself to win the championship,then he has to be very careful how he takes out his opponent.But if his intention is for Kimi to win the title (to spite McLaren),then he doesn't have to be quite so careful.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 22:49 (Ref:2039501)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I don't see him trying that though. I think he will just try to race hard..Now if he tries to push Hamilton off the track again then we could see some fireworks.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 23:06 (Ref:2039516)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
I don't see him trying that though. I think he will just try to race hard..Now if he tries to push Hamilton off the track again then we could see some fireworks.
I don't think Lewis will be quite so polite this time around though.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 23:07 (Ref:2039517)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycrosscraig
surely he should be fired
From a cannon perhaps.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 23:08 (Ref:2039520)   #16
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Not at all, he is quite fearless and will take it to Fernando and Fernando knows it..
Old 14 Oct 2007, 00:08 (Ref:2039549)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
..Now if he tries to push Hamilton off the track again then we could see some fireworks.

Again? To be fair, pushing someone off the track implies that the person being pushed off won't be rejoining the race, Fernando didn't do that (at Spa, to which i'm sure you are referring to ) He defended his corner, ironically Lewis then got the better line.

To be honest, Lewis is now in the position to be the one doing the pushing off the track. Thing is, the now is a (Finnish) fly in the ointment.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 00:12 (Ref:2039551)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
And had it not been tarmac run off, Hamilton would not have rejoined the race at Spa would he V?
Old 14 Oct 2007, 00:16 (Ref:2039554)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
That is why i said ........

pushing someone off the track implies that the person being pushed off won't be rejoining the race, Fernando didn't do that (at Spa,

There was tarmac there, Fernando knew that. He hasn't done it at any other circuit has he
Old 14 Oct 2007, 00:52 (Ref:2039561)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Exactly. Had that been grass, gravel or a wall, Fernando wouldn't have done it. Unless he wanted to end his own race. He may have lost a marble or two this year depending on who you ask, but he is not a total vegetable.

It was a move of such underwhelming significance and yet you would have thought it was 9/11 all over again the way the papers reacted over here.

I recall a similar move at the 2004 San Marino GP by Michael Schumacher on Juan Pablo Montoya exiting Tosa on lap one. I don't remember much press coverage of this.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 01:14 (Ref:2039572)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
I don't remember much press coverage of this.
Nope,but there are plenty of videos on Youtube.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 01:36 (Ref:2039574)   #22
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Knowlesy]Exactly. Had that been grass, gravel or a wall, Fernando wouldn't have done it. Unless he wanted to end his own race. He may have lost a marble or two this year depending on who you ask, but he is not a total vegetable.

It was a move of such underwhelming significance and yet you would have thought it was 9/11 all over again the way the papers reacted over here.
QUOTE]

Exactly, that is where f1manoz was comin from re: you folks in the UK with regards to Alonso. He is seen as the villain because he is the one racing against Hamilton, and the rivalry this year has made it even more fierce. Hamilton is equally ballsy, and aggressive, a few of his pole starts have been very, very aggressive, Schumacher-like, legal, I suppose, but very aggressive where he gives the other guy the choice of crashing into him or backing off. Hamilton is not the innocent little quiet boy many think he is.

Go Fernando.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 01:37 (Ref:2039575)   #23
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Exactly. Had that been grass, gravel or a wall, Fernando wouldn't have done it.
And Hamilton probably would not have put his car on the outside there in the first place. Both drivers knew about the runoff, and both drivers positioned their cars accordingly. No drama.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 14:31 (Ref:2039897)   #24
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
Inaccurate, and I live in this country, so with all due respect, I'm better able to judge the views of many motorsport fans here on this matter than yourself.
Sorry to burst your bubble, as I too live in the UK, and the media and general public have well and truly jumped on the Hammy bandwagon. It's almost beyond belief how the media salivate over every quote offered by Hamilton, and frankly Alonso is portrayed as the anti-Christ by some sections.

So with all due respect to you, I can perfectly judge for myself.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 17:31 (Ref:2040059)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2001

re: you folks in the UK with regards to Alonso. He is seen as the villain because he is the one racing against Hamilton, and the rivalry this year has made it even more fierce.
Well, i'm English, but please don't tar us all with the same brush.

Go Fernando!