Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 May 2019, 21:56 (Ref:3902365)   #1
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Difficulties for Wakefield Park?

It seems that Wakefield has been dealing with the local council over resident issues with noise and other matters.

Now heading to court according to this article.

Sounds like the usual problem with noise complaints when residential areas move closer to racing facilities but I wonder what the other concerns are and how much they may impact on the track?
Old 6 May 2019, 21:59 (Ref:3902366)   #2
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's one particular councillor, and unfortunately the council has sided with him.
Old 7 May 2019, 20:35 (Ref:3902506)   #3
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets destroy a tourist attraction. I think this mob have been talking to Benalla Rural City Council, they tried to destroy Winton, interesting both tracks are owned by the Benalla Auto Club and both tracks are well out of town
Old 8 May 2019, 07:07 (Ref:3902555)   #4
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noise at WP has been an issue for many years so nothing new about that. The track activity can be heard in Goulburn if the wind is blowing the right way.
Old 8 May 2019, 10:19 (Ref:3902593)   #5
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We need Agents of Change legislation to stop this kind of crap.

Like when developers build apartment blocks near live music venues and apartment owners successfully lobby for them to have limits imposed or worse, be closed.
Old 8 May 2019, 10:21 (Ref:3902595)   #6
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do track days with the MX5 Club a couple of times a year. Every time we're there we have around 80 drivers plus partners all looking for accommodation, food and fuel in Goulburn. I can only imagine a professional race weekend would bring even more people to the area.

Destroying such an important source of revenue for the local economy is sheer lunacy. I'd be very worried if I was a motel or restaurant owner in town right now.
Old 8 May 2019, 21:04 (Ref:3902700)   #7
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
I remember when in 2005 Winton didn't have a round of the V8's, the local business owners went nuts, they had budgeted for that income

Sometimes councils are their own worst enemy, instead of looking at the big picture they kowtow to minorities or even individuals

Send it to VCAT (or the NSW equivalent) and see what happens
Old 8 May 2019, 21:07 (Ref:3902701)   #8
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Noise at WP has been an issue for many years so nothing new about that. The track activity can be heard in Goulburn if the wind is blowing the right way.
if the track meets the planning requirement then tough titties. Winton has a 95dba on it set by local council (and they check it randomly), the only exception is historic racing

Winton had a number of protagonists over planning and noise, the protagonists never won but cost themselves, the local Council and BAC a lot of money, it looks like BAC might have to do it all again but this time in NSW
Old 9 May 2019, 01:56 (Ref:3902715)   #9
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
if the track meets the planning requirement then tough titties.
Time will tell but the track has taken sound mitigation steps already which will be used to say that yes, there is a problem and by taking action admitted it. Some people obviously think the action taken is not enough hence the court case but I doubt its future is threatened though the terms of use might change. It is a little known fact that WP has had for as long as I have known it a curfew for noise reasons as well.
Old 9 May 2019, 02:18 (Ref:3902716)   #10
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Interestingly Winton has a time curfew on it as well as a noise restriction HOWEVER they can run a 24 hour event if they use the short track (by bypassing the extension that was added), the time restriction was only for the new part - Benalla Rural City Council weren't that smart back then hahahaha
Old 9 May 2019, 10:37 (Ref:3902768)   #11
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Why not build a large sound barrier mound and/or wall encircling the track?

Supercars should really return to the track too, as a way to give back to motorsports, instead of just taking and taking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Like when developers build apartment blocks near live music venues and apartment owners successfully lobby for them to have limits imposed or worse, be closed.
A properly designed live music venue should be able to trap nearly all of the noise inside....

For example, simply putting the music venue in the basement will largely do the trick, then a little acousic treatment to fix the (horrible sound) of being surrounded by hard walls and all sorted.
Old 9 May 2019, 12:04 (Ref:3902785)   #12
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I can hear SMP any day they are running where I am not upwind, more than 10km away

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Supercars should really return to the track too, as a way to give back to motorsports, instead of just taking and taking.

Pits couldnt handle the circus
Old 9 May 2019, 18:57 (Ref:3902848)   #13
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
the track (from when I last heard) was quite profitable, why would they put that at risk by running a barely break-even Supercars event? The cost to promoters is huge and the return marginal

The only track where the track owner is the promoter is Winton, all other events are promoted by Supercars and it most cases propped up by (local, State or Federal) Government money

In case you missed it, Supercars makes it money from advertising, TV and sponsorship, they do NOT rely on money from the gate as probably Bathurst would be the only event where the gate is worthwhile
Old 9 May 2019, 21:22 (Ref:3902867)   #14
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I remember when Paul was planning the build of the circuit, he tried to avoid this problem by buying the adjacent property(ies). I also seem to remember that this was not the first choice of location, Council knocked back his first choice due to noise concerns.
Old 9 May 2019, 21:34 (Ref:3902871)   #15
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
kowtowing to minorities - local Governments just don't get it
Old 10 May 2019, 00:02 (Ref:3902881)   #16
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
kowtowing to minorities - local Governments just don't get it
Yes it's complete BS. Western Springs Speedway in Auckland has been there since 1929, so even if you were born in 1929 you would be 90 years old now. The neighbours **** and moan about the noise etc so the Council limits us to 12 nights per season, got to be done by 10:30, and all sorts of other things to appease the ********s who bought a house next to the speedway then complain about the noise like they were there first and then the speedway was built.
Old 10 May 2019, 02:43 (Ref:3902891)   #17
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
Yes it's complete BS. Western Springs Speedway in Auckland has been there since 1929, so even if you were born in 1929 you would be 90 years old now. The neighbours **** and moan about the noise etc so the Council limits us to 12 nights per season, got to be done by 10:30, and all sorts of other things to appease the ********s who bought a house next to the speedway then complain about the noise like they were there first and then the speedway was built.

Still on my bucket list top see MP take a feature there.
I am going to have to pull my finger out.
Old 10 May 2019, 14:01 (Ref:3903001)   #18
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
the track (from when I last heard) was quite profitable, why would they put that at risk by running a barely break-even Supercars event? The cost to promoters is huge and the return marginal
Obviously Supercars should waive their fees, race for free and pay all expenses and allow all revenues to the circuit owners, to give back to local circuits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Pits couldnt handle the circus
So bring open trailers instead of the usual Pantechs. Easy!

Supercars lack of support for permanent circuits and preference for street circuits, typically with obscene tax payer funding, is highly aggravating.
Old 12 May 2019, 07:39 (Ref:3903261)   #19
tobyobi
Rookie

tobyobi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Supercars ... preference for street circuits, typically with obscene tax payer funding
Pretty much explains the preference for street circuits.

Supercars does not care whether the location for the race is viable / permanent / able to attract people, if the government are happy to wear the risk.

Whilst the handouts exist, the behaviour won't change.
Old 13 May 2019, 02:20 (Ref:3903402)   #20
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
There are many circuits that have fallen by the wayside due to housing encroachment, Liverpool Speedway was another and who in their right mind would contend that Maroubra Speedway should still be operational? The Sydney Showgrounds was another and arguably Oran Park was always just a holding operation as they more than once made clear. I am totally astounded how Luddenham ever got built TTTT and I wonder how long it will last.
Old 13 May 2019, 02:26 (Ref:3903404)   #21
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Obviously Supercars should waive their fees, race for free and pay all expenses and allow all revenues to the circuit owners, to give back to local circuits!

So bring open trailers instead of the usual Pantechs. Easy!
A totally preposterous proposal but I suspect also a bit of a fun poke at SC's expense? It is quite obvious to anyone who has spent a lot of time there that the facilities for more than 50 people are third world at best.
Old 13 May 2019, 02:29 (Ref:3903405)   #22
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WP is a club circuit at best.
Old 13 May 2019, 20:35 (Ref:3903564)   #23
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
They (previous owners) used to run the Konica's as a separate event to V8SC but it was exceptionally unprofitable, one of the first things BAC did was can them.

I agree it is mostly club circuit with some State but that is about the extent of it
Old 18 May 2019, 00:25 (Ref:3904430)   #24
Casper
Veteran

Technically it has a big problem which is not obvious at first glance and that is all the corners were never levelled and just follow the natural land contour.
Old 18 May 2019, 05:52 (Ref:3904450)   #25
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Technically it has a big problem which is not obvious at first glance and that is all the corners were never levelled and just follow the natural land contour.
How is that a problem? Every track these days seems dead flat and boring. Something with some elevation change and corners that are contoured and / or cambered I thought would be heaven?