Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 May 2019, 07:41 (Ref:3904083)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Control Dampers For Supercar From 2020?

Tender Document

Story Here

Having the control supplier service the dampers would be interesting.
The arrangement with a couple of teams is that they seem to be supplied with three or four sets of dampers per car of varying specification from their supplier, and one or more are chosen to test/race at a meeting.

It seems, from the attached anyway, that this is the type of thing the series is looking for from the intended new supplier, especially with technical support at track.

Logical answer would be to get with the strength of numbers, with at least 5 cars currently running 888-spec Sachs... and at it is said that at least 6 cars running SupaShocks...

If the solution was to be domestic, to provide another arm to local industry, perhaps Mr Fiorinotto's SupaShock would be well placed..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 May 2019, 08:36 (Ref:3904088)   #2
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's low-hanging fruit.

They should really start work on a control front upright.
Old 16 May 2019, 09:58 (Ref:3904092)   #3
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When SC went to the COTF I was surprised the amount of freedoms they allowed. Control everything apart from engine would have been my call.

Control Dampers, Spring set, bar set. And control chassis built by supplier. No engineering uprights or any other suspension components. Fit your engine and tune with the toys provided by the class. Save your money what am I talking about it's motor racing. Someone will build a faster split pin than you've got.
Old 16 May 2019, 12:22 (Ref:3904112)   #4
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So 888 just can't get the linear spring to work, even after the "parity" adjustments have been done against the Mustang.
Old 16 May 2019, 12:32 (Ref:3904115)   #5
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are several other threads polluted with that nonsense. Don't mess this one up as well.
Old 16 May 2019, 17:17 (Ref:3904178)   #6
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
It's low-hanging fruit.

They should really start work on a control front upright.
It will be OK as long as the chosen supplier is not SACHS (i.e., 888), that would be alarming and concerning.

Supashock or MCA Suspension would however make excellent suppliers. Perhaps MCA being better, since AFAIK they are not currently involved with any teams. Choosing Supashock could be seen as favouring Erebus and Tickford who already use Supashock.

A control front upright should also be a good idea. Surely PACE can knock something up and have it out to all of the teams for 2020?

Quote:
There are several other threads polluted with that nonsense. Don't mess this one up as well.
Cautious cynicism is important. It is alarming that 888 -- a competitor -- already supply some control COTF parts such as the pedal box. If they also supply sealed shocks in their capacity as Sachs distributor, that would be a bad look.

Especially as the DJR Team Penske shocks are well sorted with their custom valving (ironically of Sachs shocks but using Penske know how!), and therefore control shock valving can be perceived as a regulatory measure to remove an advantage of DJR Team Penske.
Old 17 May 2019, 21:59 (Ref:3904419)   #7
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There has never been so many rules and regulations put into place in such a short period of time.

Or didn't your pay masters pass that memo on to you?
Old 17 May 2019, 22:13 (Ref:3904422)   #8
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
more control parts, wonderful....
Old 18 May 2019, 09:22 (Ref:3904483)   #9
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
It will be OK as long as the chosen supplier is not SACHS (i.e., 888), that would be alarming and concerning.

It is alarming that 888 -- a competitor -- already supply some control COTF parts such as the pedal box. If they also supply sealed shocks in their capacity as Sachs distributor, that would be a bad look.
I don't understand your fascination with 888 ( or any other competitor for that matter ) supplying CONTROL PARTS. All control parts are the same, have to be the same, and there will be massive consequences if they aren't the same. Supercars dictates the part, and that's it. So to infer that 888 manufacturing and selling control items would give them some kind of advantage is just ludicrous.

I would rather buy control parts from 888 than say Teckno / Team18 / MSR as they are a much bigger outfit and have the proper facilities and capabilities to manufacture the control parts to a high quality, and cheaper ( scale of economy ).
Old 18 May 2019, 10:03 (Ref:3904487)   #10
gtcapri
Racer

Australia
Maitland NSW
gtcapri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
I don't understand your fascination with 888 ( or any other competitor for that matter ) supplying CONTROL PARTS. All control parts are the same, have to be the same, and there will be massive consequences if they aren't the same. Supercars dictates the part, and that's it. So to infer that 888 manufacturing and selling control items would give them some kind of advantage is just ludicrous.

I would rather buy control parts from 888 than say Teckno / Team18 / MSR as they are a much bigger outfit and have the proper facilities and capabilities to manufacture the control parts to a high quality, and cheaper ( scale of economy ).
I might be misunderstanding both sides here but I think he's alluding to the perception that 888 may operate and supply in a way that best suits them, not necessarily towards the needs of the category as a whole. I don't believe the quality of the control parts supplied by 888 would be inferior to their ones for their own useage. I haven't heard of any accusations before.

I do like the idea of an independent supplier with no ties to a team. But would there be measures in place to prevent 888 or DJR/Penske for example to pass on recommendations in development to suit their particular needs that the whole category must use?
Old 18 May 2019, 11:12 (Ref:3904495)   #11
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcapri View Post
I might be misunderstanding both sides here but I think he's alluding to the perception that 888 may operate and supply in a way that best suits them, not necessarily towards the needs of the category as a whole.

OK well even if that is the case, what difference is it going to make? They'll ( 888 ) make the parts they want to, and Supercars will find someone else to make the other parts.

Surely Supercars will have some robust rules and requirements around the manufacture and supply ( and price ) of the control parts, so if people don't like those rules no one is forcing them to make the parts so they can bow out and just buy them from whoever does end up getting the contract. Maybe it's more complex than I'm thinking, but then again how complex can it be?? That's the problem with people these days, they like to over-complicate things because they can. Remember the KISS ethos from the good old days??
Old 18 May 2019, 16:23 (Ref:3904529)   #12
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It does give the supplier a financial advantage.
Old 18 May 2019, 21:05 (Ref:3904561)   #13
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
OK well even if that is the case, what difference is it going to make?
DJR Team Penske's shock absorber valving is a core part of their competitive advantage -- right? Likewise Erebus and every other competitive team who all have their own custom valving.

If they suddenly have to use shock absorbers valved to 888's preferences, how can that be a good thing for the category?

Recall that incumbent Bridgestone runners DID have a advantage over former Dunlop when the Bridgestones were made the control tyre. The Bridgestone runners had a knowledge base, while those who ran Dunlops or Yokohamas before had no data at all and were disavantaged.

Therefore it is IMO, crucial that an independent supplier such as MCA Suspension or Multimatic is chosen.

Quote:
OK well even if that is the case, what difference is it going to make?
A control radiator or oil cooler? That's fine.

Shock absorbers however are a performance sensitive component...