Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 14 May 2003, 02:01 (Ref:598422)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
The Grid for the 87th Indianapolis 500

Here is the final grid for the line up of the running of the 87th Indianapolis 500 next sunday.

1 Helio Castroneves
2 Tony Kanaan
3 Robby Gordon

4 Scott Dixon (rookie)
5 Dan Wheldon (rookie)
6 Kenny Brack

7 Toranasuke Takagi (rookie)
8 Tony Renna (rookie)
9 Scott Sharp

10 Gil de Ferran
11 Roger Yasukawa (rookie)
12 Tomas Schekter

13 Michael Andretti
14 Greg Ray
15 Shinji Nakano (rookie)

16 Felipe Giaffone
17 Al Unser Jnr
18 Sam Hornish Jnr

19 Buddy Rice (rookie)
20 Jaques Lazier
21 Buddy Lazier

22 Robbie Buhl
23 AJ Foyt Iv (rookie)
24 Sarah Fisher

25 Alex Barron
26 Vitor Meira (rookie)
27 Jimmy Vasser

28 Richie Hearn
29 Billy Boat
30 Shigeaki Hattori

31 Robby McGehee
32 Jimmy Kite
33 Airton Dare

Last edited by marcus; 19 May 2003 at 01:37.
Old 14 May 2003, 13:02 (Ref:598712)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow that was a great run by Gordon. Wheldon as well, clearly AGR have a great setup with 3 cars in the front two rows.

Once again the big-money teams ahve dominated with Renna and Sharp the only drivers from smaller teams. I'm really gutted for Sam, he deserves far better from Chevvy.
Old 14 May 2003, 21:46 (Ref:599171)   #3
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't it be great if Takagi pulled off the win!
Old 15 May 2003, 06:46 (Ref:599374)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old Mikey isnt looking too flash... should we get Alex Zanardi to sub for his car in qualifying
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 May 2003, 12:10 (Ref:599646)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team kelley(Sharp and Renna) is not that small, in terms of budget; after all they bought ( I think) 8 cars this year.
Old 15 May 2003, 19:02 (Ref:600093)   #6
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al Unser Jr also drives for Kelley Racing.
Old 16 May 2003, 09:21 (Ref:600677)   #7
Avid Merrion
Racer

Avid Merrion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Danny Wheldon is doing rather good
Old 18 May 2003, 21:22 (Ref:602916)   #8
Rafael
Racer

Brazil
Brasilia, Brazil
Rafael should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If someone gets better time than Dare's one, will Dare have another chance to qualify???????
Old 19 May 2003, 01:17 (Ref:603025)   #9
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One you qualify a car, if it is bumped out, someone else can requalify the car but you can't. You can, however, attempt to qualify in another car.
Old 19 May 2003, 01:33 (Ref:603031)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
hence Dare sitting in Foyts car after he made his run just in case.

P.S I have also adjusted the starting line up above to the way the full 33 car field will take the green flag next Sunday.

Lets go racing boys !!! (oops and girl )
Old 21 May 2003, 09:10 (Ref:605681)   #11
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
go jimmy vasser - great effort by scotty dixon, imagine that young queensland born new zealander as an indy 500 winner - i'd drink to that
Old 21 May 2003, 21:20 (Ref:606307)   #12
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's great to see Dan right up there!

Looking forward to seeing him win on Sunday...

Old 21 May 2003, 22:07 (Ref:606341)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dixon has been "quietly hot" all month here -- that kind of driver and car that has been in the hunt speed-wise, but not necessarily the center of attention, has often won the Indy 500....

I think the team to watch is Target/Ganassi Racing (Dixon/Scheckter/Vasser -- Ganassi knows how to hook up a car here), but If I were to pick a winner, it would be either Robby Gordon or Scott Sharp...both have been pretty consistent, and have seemed to run well regardless of the conditions this month...that kind of set-up capability adapts best to the changing track and temperature conditions that always occur at the Brickyard....and it usually results in a big bottle of cold milk at the end of the day...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 May 2003, 23:38 (Ref:606411)   #14
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
Jimmy Vasser drives for Bobby Rahal
Old 22 May 2003, 13:12 (Ref:606837)   #15
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Is A. J. Foyt realling running three different kinds of car? If my info is correct, he's fielding Foyt IV (Dallara-Toyota), Shigeaki Hattori (Dallara-Chevrolet) and Airton Dare (Panoz/G-Force/Toyota). That seems a bit odd to me...
Old 22 May 2003, 16:04 (Ref:607004)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You're close, BSchneiderFan...the only difference is that Hattori is also running Toyota Power...the Foyt cars are the three slowest Toyotas in the field....they missed on set-ups big time in qualifying...but Dare is in a Panoz G-Force, as you noted...

Penske had each make in his garage as well...Helio is in a Dallara and DeFerran is in a G-Force....the chassis are fairly equal this year....

BTW...Chevy power is still way behind the curve...and the prospects are not good for an easy fix....I know a guy who is a Chief Engineer with one of the Chevy teams...GM may have to redesign and recast the cylinder heads to alleviate the deficiency...could be as long as a year for them to get up to where Toyota and Honda are at this time....

Cheever & Menard have partnered, as you know, to help develop the Chevy engine via a joint venture through which they acquied the assets of Tom Walkinshaw's operation....they are supposedly trying lots of things, but none are seeming to make much of a difference...

Old 22 May 2003, 21:59 (Ref:607257)   #17
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
Of course by the time Chevy gets to where Honda and Toyota are now, Honda and Toyota will be further ahead.
Old 22 May 2003, 22:15 (Ref:607271)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Their work will be cut out for them to get the engine competitive...

Even though the engines were changed in various ways from last year (400 or so rpm less, among others), I think that one of the biggest causes of their problem now was the fact that in previous years, the Infiniti power either lagged behind them, or once they did catch up, the reliability issues Infiniti had put Chevy in such a place that they did not have intense competition to use as a benchmark as they developed the IRL powerplant....

It sure is a different game now that Toyota and Honda (who came from a very competitive engine fight in CART the past few years) came in with a lot of R&D and the resources to put together quality engines....

Chevy will really stuggle this year, and race teams tend not to be patient about critical elements they need....

I would go as far as to say that if Honda and/or Toyota actually had the engines available to support other teams, that owners would be dropping the Chevy for one of the other two engines in the same way that the Infiniti was dropped like a hot potato in the early years of IRL....

If you remember, for a while only Eddie Cheever ran Infiniti power and served as their test/development mule...others did not get on board until Eddie got up to Chevy's speed and then won Infiniti's first race at Pike's Peak....