Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 23 Mar 2010, 17:54 (Ref:2658748)   #1
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
All-British Championship

Quick trivia question for you. Have to admit I don't know the answer myself and I'd be surprised if anyone else did without some research.

There's something a bit odd about this year's BTCC entry list. Unless Triple8 throw a last minute surprise or we get an extra entry from somewhere, every driver is British.

Which got me thinking, when is the last time the BTCC had no foreign drivers? If we are talking about a single race weekend then I reckon it would be sometime early 90s, but for an entire season?
Old 23 Mar 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2658766)   #2
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
At least as far back as the mid 80s. Who was foreign in 1987?
Old 23 Mar 2010, 18:21 (Ref:2658767)   #3
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knockhill 1992 was the last all-British round by my reckoning.

Menu missing because of his quad bike mishap, and Kris Nissen yet to join, while Thorkild Thyrring had left the series.

There were also several all-British rounds in 1991.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 18:24 (Ref:2658769)   #4
GroupOfOne
Racer

What nationality was Peter Gottlieb? He competed in '87
Old 23 Mar 2010, 19:04 (Ref:2658796)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupOfOne View Post
Knockhill 1992 was the last all-British round by my reckoning.

Menu missing because of his quad bike mishap, and Kris Nissen yet to join, while Thorkild Thyrring had left the series.
Menu was still entered and did qualifying so I'm not sure I'll allow that one.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 19:58 (Ref:2658822)   #6
GroupOfOne
Racer

Aww you big meany!!

In that case it'd be 1991.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 22:13 (Ref:2658916)   #7
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupOfOne View Post
Aww you big meany!!

In that case it'd be 1991.
I'd go with that as well- anywhere from about mid-season onwards in '91. Swedish drivers Nettan Lindgren and Per-Gunnar Andersson did several rounds early-season, but once they'd stopped appearing (think Nettan's last appearance was the GP support at Silverstone?), then the grids were all-British for the rest of the year, apart from Armin Hahne doing one race in Lawrence Bristow's Labatt's BMW at the end of the year.

For an all-British season, I reckon you could be going much further back. 1987 nearly made it- Australian rally driver Rex Muldoon finished 6th in a Sierra Cosworth at the last round, and Gary Brabham shared Mike O'Brien's Holden in the 2-driver race at Oulton. You might have to go as far back as the 70's- I think there was at least one appearance by an overseas driver every year through the 80's (we've been going through the 80's results in the Motorsport History bit of 'Tenths in the last couple of months)
Old 26 Mar 2010, 22:38 (Ref:2660722)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
KA sums things up nicely in his post. I think 1984 would've been all Brit with the exception of Schlesser's couple of races in the run up to ARG's withdrawal.

This is a toughie.....