Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Dec 2001, 11:45 (Ref:186142)   #1
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
50th Anniversary

You are all invited to celebrate PIARC's 50th anniversary on January 20th 2002.

In 1952 a group of local businessmen formed the Phillip Island Auto Racing Club. They built, owned and ran the circuit from 1952 until its closure.

PIARC lives in unison with PIMS (Phillip Island Motor Sport, the current circuit owners). Providing the officials and race control for a majority of the race meetings at Phillip Island, including the bikes.

We will be launching our 50th anniversary logo, and giving the public a chance to enjoy this special time with us.

Special Guest Appearances from several V8 Supercar Teams, and drivers. We have already confirmed John Faulkiner Racing, Cameron McConville, with several others pencilled in. PIARC members in V8 Supercars include: Craig Lowndes, Greg Murphy, Russell Ingall, Larry Perkins, and Terry Wyhoon, just to name a few.

From PROCAR's point of view, current PIARC members include: Darryl Coon, Luke Youlden, Paul Stokell, Kent Youlden, Ben Driscoll, Megan and Phil Kirkham just to name a few.

There will also be several vehicles from the 1950s.

As PIARC has been closely associated with Australian Bike Racing, we will also have some historical and racing bikes on display.

We are also launching our newly renovated clubrooms.

More details will be made available closer to the date. However we are having so much fun organising the event, and receiving so much positive feedback, I couldn't hold on any longer.
Old 17 Dec 2001, 04:40 (Ref:186779)   #2
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You forgot to mention Len...

Great stuff, Vandas... looking forward to seeing this celebration taking shape.
Old 17 Dec 2001, 07:36 (Ref:186799)   #3
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Ray,

There will be a number of media invited to attend this function. Who is the Chief of Staff at Motor Racing Australia? Would it be better to send the invitation to the Chief of Staff or the Editor for allocation?

We may be launching a V8 Supercar teams new vehicle on the day, and Castrol are very keen to become involved with the day.

We are using the launch as an opportunity to thank the officials, drivers and public that have supported racing at the Phillip Island circuit over the last 50 years.

We will be showcasing a number of vehicles from many different categories, and if anyone out there has an PIARC memorabilia floating around, we would love to put in on display for this function.

I will post on this thread a little later with the time and place for the function.
Old 18 Dec 2001, 00:53 (Ref:187134)   #4
Ray Bell
Veteran

Steve Normoyle, the Editor... when is it likeliest to be?
Old 18 Dec 2001, 07:05 (Ref:187199)   #5
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
The launch will occur on the 20th of January at the Royal Victorian Aero Club, Moorabbin Airport.

There we will launch the new 50th anniversary logo, the newly renovated clubrooms, and be displaying PIARC as it embarks on its next 50 years of operation.

We are currently organising Control Tower tours, racing cars for display, racing bikes for display, and some other high performance vehicles.

We have a V8 Supercar team confirmed, several drivers from National categories confirmed, we have Formula Fords, and we are currently waiting on two huge suprise guests to confirm.

I will reveal all once it has been confirmed.

Will you be in town Ray, or will there be any MRA people in the area?
Old 19 Dec 2001, 23:17 (Ref:187868)   #6
Ray Bell
Veteran

I'd certainly like to be there, Vandas... twentieth is probably possible for me... keep me posted, I'll talk to Steve.

Moorabbin Airport? Sounds a bit close to the Perkins works...
Old 3 Jan 2002, 14:06 (Ref:193240)   #7
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
In 2002 the Phillip Island Auto Racing Club Ltd will turn 50.

In 1952 several motorsport enthusiasts created the Phillip Island Auto Racing Club Ltd or PIARC as it is better known, and in 2002 we will be celebrating our 50th anniversary. It is also a year to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit which was started by the club in the same year. The circuit, represented by Phillip Island Motor Sports, will be joining us throughout the year in this celebration.

As a valued member of the PIARC community, you are warmly invited to the launch of our Jubilee year. It is through your dedication and passion for the sport that we, as a club, have been able to prosper and grow over the past half century. Therefore we are putting on a fabulous function for your benefit.

We have recently entered into an arrangement with the Royal Victorian Aero Club based at the Moorabbin Airport whereby PIARC shares the clubrooms and facilities of the RVAC and we have arranged an Open Day at these clubrooms as their first PIARC use, as well as our first opportunity to talk “Jubilee”. There is no charge for your entry, and drinks will be at “bar prices”.

What we are providing is a showcase of the history of PIARC’s access to motorsport with a walk down history lane, including bikes and racing cars from 1952 and 2002, the latest high performance vehicles available, aircraft on display, control tower tours, full catering, visual flashbacks through video and pictorial displays and more.
Attending this launch will be a number of special guests, including current and former V8 Supercar and PIARC drivers with their vehicles, as well as drivers from the GTP, Nations cup and other categories.

The venue: The Royal Victorian Aero Club, First Ave. Moorabbin Airport.

The date: January 20th 2002

The Time: Open House begins at midday with formalities at 2.30 pm.

Catering: Limited lunches will be available, and finger food will be offered throughout the day.

Join us and help make this a special day to start our Jubilee Year.
I look forward to seeing you all there
Old 3 Jan 2002, 14:13 (Ref:193245)   #8
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Currently confirmed we have:

- Peter Brock

- Cameron McConville

- Paul Stokell

- John Faulkiner

- PIMS Representatives

- CAMS Representatives

- And Many Other National Level Drivers, and their vehicles.
Old 11 Jan 2002, 09:30 (Ref:196921)   #9
knackaneal
Rookie

knackaneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have discovered this forum only 20 minutes ago ... I'm a novice on the net ... did not know there was one so close to our domestic scene.

To you PIARC guys I wish you good luck with your projects!!!

I can't believe PIARC is only 50 years old ... the Vic Branch of the Australian Sports Sedan Association turned 30 a couple of years ago ... it just does not seem right that PIARC is less than 20 years older!!!
Old 11 Jan 2002, 09:57 (Ref:196930)   #10
Ray Bell
Veteran

Welcome then, knackaneal... lots to look at as you find your way around...

And as for the subject of your post, I've been noticing a lot of that lately...

The AGP was only 25 years old when I saw my first... now it's 72!
Old 11 Jan 2002, 10:04 (Ref:196931)   #11
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Knackaneal

You are more than welcome to attend.

Let me know if you wanna come.
Old 11 Jan 2002, 10:09 (Ref:196933)   #12
knackaneal
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
Welcome then, knackaneal... lots to look at as you find your way around...

And as for the subject of your post, I've been noticing a lot of that lately...

The AGP was only 25 years old when I saw my first... now it's 72!
Hey Ray ... are you counting Albert Park when they ran the "wrong way"??? Or were you on the Island when Arthur was doing his thing???
Old 11 Jan 2002, 10:11 (Ref:196934)   #13
Ray Bell
Veteran

Warwick Farm, old chap... perched on the new spectator mound at Creek Corner, actually... in the stinking heat.

Then again, it's now the case that it was 26 years old then, and it's now 73!
Old 11 Jan 2002, 10:12 (Ref:196935)   #14
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Well guess what.

I am not even half the age of PIARC.
Old 11 Jan 2002, 10:18 (Ref:196939)   #15
knackaneal
Rookie

Never was a member of PIARC ... lotsa mates there though ... my 1st-ever race as a competitor was at "The Island" in November 1968 (that's way before you were born Vandas ... and Ray, if you are an old Warwick Farm head, do you remember Roly Levis from NZ in the Tasman Series???) PS... how do we get use smilies in the text of messages :-) ??? PPS Do we have a "chat line'???
Old 11 Jan 2002, 20:57 (Ref:197204)   #16
knackaneal
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Vandas
Knackaneal

You are more than welcome to attend.

Let me know if you wanna come.
Thanks for the invite Vandas ... unfortunately I work on Sundays... which can be a real pain :-(

The only times I can scuttle Sunday work are for AGP, Indy and Bathurst . So plenty of video-replays for me:-)
Old 11 Jan 2002, 21:12 (Ref:197217)   #17
Ray Bell
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by knackaneal
Never was a member of PIARC ... lotsa mates there though ... my 1st-ever race as a competitor was at "The Island" in November 1968 (that's way before you were born Vandas ... and Ray, if you are an old Warwick Farm head, do you remember Roly Levis from NZ in the Tasman Series???) PS... how do we get use smilies in the text of messages :-) ??? PPS Do we have a "chat line'???
Roly Levis, lemme see... he's the bloke I saw run his black Brabham into the fence at the end of Tannery Straight the last lap of the '65 AGP, isn't he? A good mate of Leo Geoghegan and the Scotts in Brisbane... one of the few real chargers from Kiwiland in his era, but one I always felt was cause of others to be wary of his presence. He got in Brabham's way in that AGP and probably cost him the win...

As for a 'Warwick Farm head'... yes, the Farm was my home circuit, but when you go to thirty-plus race meetings a year for a decade or so you become pretty familiar with all the circuits. My first trip to the Island was Feb 65 between Sandown and Longford to see the place through the fence... then in Feb 66 Bruce McPhee drove me down there when Len Lukey had an open day for the press in the same week, Frank Gardner was dipping into the pool I recall... then in 72 or 73 I watched races there when I was following the Dulux Rally.

In December 74 I had my first race there, then returned for the ATT in November 75, best circuit I drove on during my brief racing career... went back the next year for another run, just about my last race.

Smileys are off to the left of the box you type your reply in...
Old 11 Jan 2002, 23:05 (Ref:197314)   #18
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome aboard knackaneal!

Like Ray says, you can simply click on the icons in the smilie box on the left, or you can type them out like ;-) :-( :-), sans the '-'.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 07:37 (Ref:197841)   #19
knackaneal
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
Welcome aboard knackaneal!

Like Ray says, you can simply click on the icons in the smilie box on the left, or you can type them out like ;-) :-( :-), sans the '-'.
C'mon guys ... I know you're trying to help but all this "novice" (certainly no "nerd") can see are smilies to the north of me ... certainly not to the west of this message panel ?!?! And these are for the message heading only? Correct? No smilies to include with the mood of your text? Correct??

Thanks for the welcome too ... am sure there's going to be plenty said over the coming century :-)

And PS ... no signatures allowed? Correct????
Old 13 Jan 2002, 10:46 (Ref:197888)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It might be a problem with your browser...

The smilies above are for the heading off your post. There should be 15 smilies in a box directly to the left of text area for your reply.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 11:10 (Ref:197907)   #21
knackaneal
Rookie

Quote:
It might be a problem with your browser...

The smilies above are for the heading off your post. There should be 15 smilies in a box directly to the left of text area for your reply.
Appreciate your help here ... just thought of something ... and please remember I'm a "novice" not "nerd" in these computer affairs.

Could it be that I am denied smilie access whilst still in rookie status????????????? In another forum (VBulletin format also)I had to type a prompt in order to get the smilie I wanted .. after X-number of posts, can't remember how many, all of a sudden the smilie display was sitting there to be picked on!!! I just thought they had finally got their act together ( a bit hard to imagine actually) ... but maybe I had to go through a probation period?????????

Could the same apply here "Crash Test" (certainly hope the surname ain't what I think it is *) (* geez I wish I had a smilie right now :-)!!!!!!!!??????????

Maybe I have to get out of rookie status before I'm allowed to access message text smilies???????? Can you recall from about ten thousand posts ago???????????

<crash test mode> here goes-

Last edited by Crash Test; 13 Jan 2002 at 11:32.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 11:44 (Ref:197930)   #22
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test- it dates back to the days when I was the World Champion Dodge 'Em car driver...

Simply try typing in some of the following:

:)

:(

;)

Also make sure the "Disable Smilies in This Post" box is unchecked.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 11:53 (Ref:197937)   #23
knackaneal
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell

... was only 25 years old when I saw my first... now it's 72!
Hey Ray ... read this in a hurry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See where I went wrong Mate !

Let's now do our PROPER sums .... 72 minus 25 equals 47 .... so you were 1 day old at your first AGP then LOL?????*

* how many posts do I need before I qualify for smilies for goodness sake???????????????
Old 13 Jan 2002, 12:44 (Ref:197967)   #24
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
You should be right to go now- I don't think there is a limit.

Cut and past the following into your next post:

:) :( :o :p :mad: :rolleyes: :cool: :beer: :banghead: :rotate: :laugh: :confused:
Old 13 Jan 2002, 18:23 (Ref:198112)   #25
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
:confused:
Hey Crash - you got nothing better to do than try this?

And knacker....knocker...knickers...(ahhh what the heck - 5am is too early to take the wife to work just cos I need her car today...)

knackaneal - welcome aboard - if nothing else - don't EVER lose your sense of humour in here

And, as this thread is about PIARC's 50th - hopefully have some pics to post on RaceTime next Sunday afternoon - I'll be there (as long as the RT Van is back from being repaired!!!)