Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Aug 2004, 03:12 (Ref:1055749)   #1
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow...this hurts me (track proposal hearing notes)

I was looking up the proposed track Dragonsridge in VA and stumbled across a minutes from a town meeting...here is the link and some very disturbring exerpts...

"if the racetrack is approved we can
expect noise and air pollution, no matter how much people say they will preserve
the environment it does not happen. What good will the sound of a cheap thrill
bring of quick money? Do we think that the screaming spectators will be free of
drugs and prostitution?"

"has expressed his concern about the county doing the right thing and is
concerned about the impact it will have on the schools."

"Don’t cheapen our county by jumping on the first
thing that comes. He says that this is no better than prostitution."

"Item 43 Helipads, what are they going to do with helicopters; those are just a few of his concerns."

there were two that spoke in favor:

"He refereed to the signed petitions in favor for the racetrack. He
wants to know if this is going to be like NASCAR or is this going to be something that the county citizens will be available for use. He also indicated that he is all for growth."

"He states that the county is in a financial crisis and we cannot afford
to have a small group of people ruin it for the rest of the county. We are not talking about NASCAR."

Sometimes the people of this country hurt me...deep deep inside...
Old 4 Aug 2004, 13:38 (Ref:1056156)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
and others, like the yokels opposing this project, are just plain morons...

Fact:

The Indianapolis 500 generates $336.6 million annually for the local economy...

The US Grand Prix generates $170.8 million

and the Brickyard 400 stimulates another $219.5 million...

That is money from people outside of the metro area...it does not include locals, who would spend their money locally anyway....

The people of Speedway, Indiana, sure don't seem to mind the noise three times a year...because they know that the sound of race cars creates two other beautiful sounds...

the cash register ringing, and

the clinking of cold, hard cash for businesses throughout the metro area....

BTW...I've been going to auto races for 3 decades and have yet to see one prostitute at a race...

In all of those year, you would think that I would have crossed paths with at least ONE....

Maybe I'm attending the wrong races....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 4 Aug 2004 at 13:40.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 4 Aug 2004, 13:42 (Ref:1056160)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Try the Hungarian Grand Prix, Tim!
Old 4 Aug 2004, 13:47 (Ref:1056166)   #4
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try Bathurst, Tim!
Old 4 Aug 2004, 14:33 (Ref:1056201)   #5
Spyder_Monkey
Rookie

Bhutan
Mobile, Alabama
Spyder_Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And this:
http://independent.gmnews.com/news/2..._Page/046.html
New residents to a former rural area are upset that the longtime drag strip makes noise. One day a week.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 14:56 (Ref:1056221)   #6
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
I wonder what dB their tractors run at?
Old 4 Aug 2004, 15:19 (Ref:1056236)   #7
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And don't forget all those chickens and sheep.
You may think I jest but in the UK where the rush to the countryside from the cities is in full flow there are many documented cases of new arrivals winning injuctions against noisy livestock people are stupid simple as that
Old 4 Aug 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1056479)   #8
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
You may think I jest but in the UK where the rush to the countryside from the cities is in full flow there are many documented cases of new arrivals winning injuctions against noisy livestock people are stupid simple as that
I don't think you jest, it is a major problem farmers are running into here in Minn. NOt just sounds but smells also.

I wish I was a more nasty person, I would drop a yard of old manure on their door step on Halloween, set it on fire, ring the doorbell and leave.
Bob
Old 4 Aug 2004, 20:55 (Ref:1056505)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
These are some of the unfortunate things that occur in a free society. I'm free to enjoy racing while someone else is free to complain, hold public proceedings, and initiate litigation.

If anyone was watching Windtunnel last week you heard Dave mention Mesa Marin in Bakersfield, CA. This is a 1/2 mile asphalt oval that was built some 20 years ago in the middle of nowhere. Well since that time this area has become popular for housing. The race track was there first, but people are complaining. There is a conditional use permit at stake. This is a great facility that hosted some of the first Craftsman truck races and exhibitions. I have enjoyed many good races there and hope it continues.

Actions like these are not right, but things like this do happen. People never cease to amaze me.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 21:43 (Ref:1056544)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
and Dave's response was a classic!!!

"Don't run a long-time legitimate establishment out of business just because of your own decision (good or poor, depending on whom you ask)to purchase real estate within earshot of a race track!"

BTW....

How much is airfare to get "Down Under" (sorry for the bad pun) or to Hungary...and better yet...how much are tickets to Bathurst and the Hungarion GP???

Those might have to be added to my "must attend" races...

Sure...I've seen the drunk tarts dance topless on the hoods of cars in the infield (or in the middle of 16th Street for that matter) during Indy 500 weekend.....

but I gotta say I've never seen a hooker at any race I've been to...

Old 4 Aug 2004, 23:21 (Ref:1056599)   #11
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
I've seen the drunk tarts dance topless on the hoods of cars in the infield (or in the middle of 16th Street for that matter) during Indy 500 weekend.....
It is OK to post pictures if you have them!

Living in Florida, I have Daytona, Sebring, Bike Week, Nude Beaches, Beaches in general, and something artificial and made up like Disney, where nothing smells and nothing offends and people have plastic smiles and have a plastic time.

Living in Florida also, I have seen communities strive to establish 'artistic' areas, and then been bothered by the apperance of the artists, their work, their patrons, etc.

I don't know, is there a place that the silly nuts people can be sent to, where they would all be happy? I am willing to chip in towards tickets for that.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 02:23 (Ref:1056655)   #12
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
Fooltopia, opening fall of 06...
Old 5 Aug 2004, 12:12 (Ref:1056976)   #13
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Didn't a well-known British ex-touring car racer get involved in a case like this 4 or 5 years ago....?
Old 5 Aug 2004, 13:33 (Ref:1057044)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Wow...this hurts me (track proposal hearing notes)

Quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy
"if the racetrack is approved we can
expect noise and air pollution, no matter how much people say they will preserve the environment it does not happen. What good will the sound of a cheap thrill bring of quick money? Do we think that the screaming spectators will be free of drugs and prostitution?"
I seem to remember that back during the fuel crisis of the '70s, Bill France Sr was challenged to suspend the Daytona 500. He offered data that showed the fuel consumed during the race was less than (I think) that of a single jet flying a certain distance, and the pressure was off.

The noise and air pollution will exist, but it will be primarily from those going to the race, not the race itself. And, of course, the airports in the area already contribute more than their share.

On the drugs and prostitution quote, I have to say "bring it on!" We don't get any of that at Mosport... Ah, well, I'll just stick to beer and wine this weekend.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 5 Aug 2004, 14:41 (Ref:1057091)   #15
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Paul, how long have you been going to Mosport? They *used* to have both of those things.... :-)

keke
Old 5 Aug 2004, 15:21 (Ref:1057117)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, in the 70's I was a little young to notice, in the 80's I wasn't there often enough, in the 90's I didn't go at all.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 5 Aug 2004, 15:52 (Ref:1057154)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I do remember a story about Mosport when the Champ Cars went there in the indy Star where the writers were comparing the crowd to the infield at Indy...

some drunks turned a passenger car over and torched it...things of that nature...

Old 5 Aug 2004, 15:53 (Ref:1057155)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
BTW....

That kind of thing doesn't happen at Indy anymore...now that most of the infiled has been used for the F-1 course and for a few holes on their golf course...

Old 5 Aug 2004, 17:29 (Ref:1057241)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Tim, are you sure you're not confusing Mosport with the Glen? The Bog always had burning cars...

If Mosport had that happen (back in the USAC days), it was a rarity.

Granted, I do remember the stereo wars. It's not to say there wasn't drunken rowdy people, but that's as much an artifact of the era as it is of the location.

-Bill James
Old 5 Aug 2004, 19:16 (Ref:1057351)   #20
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And don't forget all those chickens and sheep.You may think I jest but in the UK where the rush to the countryside from the cities is in full flow there are many documented cases of new arrivals winning injuctions against noisy livestock people are stupid simple as that
Not to worry...the UK doesn't have a monopoly on this silliness. Here in the USA (and I'm confident in Canada as well) new rural residents routinely sue farmer neighbors over smells and sounds coming from animals. The problem is so bad that several states have passed "right to farm" laws to protect farmers who are in compliance with environmental regs.

I live in California, where when I bought my 5 acre "ranchette" in a farming district I had to sign a disclosure admitting that I was aware of potential noise and farming issues before the purchase could go through.

So I immediately bought a rooster to add to the cancopany!
Old 5 Aug 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1057387)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Tim, are you sure you're not confusing Mosport with the Glen? The Bog always had burning <A TITLE="Click for more information about car" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw">car</A>s...

If Mosport had that happen (back in the USAC days), it was a rarity.

Granted, I do remember the stereo wars. It's not to say there wasn't drunken rowdy people, but that's as much an artifact of the era as it is of the location.

I recall it as being at Mosport....that same weekend, Bobby Unser totalled his Gurney Eagle....so it was before he joined Penske in the early 1980s....

Old 6 Aug 2004, 02:45 (Ref:1057768)   #22
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Tim, I think you have a virus.

-Bill James
Old 6 Aug 2004, 03:19 (Ref:1057773)   #23
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's like the people around where I live in Australia. There's an airport down the road that deals in light aviation stuff. it also happens to be the busiest in the southern hemisphere due to all the flight schools around. It was also originally built in the 1920's. Since then urban sprawl has caught up with it, but until recently, the locals didn't seem to mind as it was a good job generator (especially for me!) and feature of the area. However, I've noticed over the last few years that I'm getting pestered more often on a weekend to sign petition after petition to get rid of the airport. My first question to them is usually, "So you're new to the area, then?"

Yes, people can be stupid.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 04:19 (Ref:1057796)   #24
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Summit Point has Quiet hours as Does VIR and I believe Lime Rock does to...I can understand if the track is built after people live there, but if the track was there first they have no right to complain

It really is a shame how patheticly obviously people ignore facts when they don't like something or have an idea different from what might happen the selfish NIMBY thing is just sad
Old 6 Aug 2004, 04:48 (Ref:1057812)   #25
Spyder_Monkey
Rookie

Bhutan
Mobile, Alabama
Spyder_Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just for kicks, I'd like to see a track owner sue homeowners or whoever for moving in next door to them.