Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 25 Sep 2006, 11:52 (Ref:1718358)   #1
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Helmet safety (was Open face helmets)

Hi all,

I started a thread in Racers about this, but I could use some feedback here as well.

Has anyone had an incident with a saloon car where the force of the accident actually removed the roof of the car and the driver's helmet?

It's a new one on me and frankly, gave me a bit of a fright. I'm not sure if this is a common one so I'd appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,
EP
Old 25 Sep 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1718389)   #2
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've not experienced this, but surely if the helmet was removed by the force of the accident it wasn't fastened properly?
Old 25 Sep 2006, 12:43 (Ref:1718410)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ouch, sounds big. I've seen one or two where the driver list his helmet because it either wasn't correctly fastened or wasn't correctly fitting in the first place, and open-face seem more susceptable to this. I've also been to an incident where driver's chin met the steering wheel coming the other way and that wasn't pleasant. A full face helmet would have significantly reduced the injury, and probably have prevented it altogether.

I've never seen a car's roof removed, though. Squashed, yes.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1719267)   #4
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Well that's one of the things I'm not sure about. The chin strap was still fastened when we found the helmet, so what I'm wondering about was the fit of the helmet.

Does anyone know if helmet fit is something that's checked at scrutiny?

I've no pics of the actual incident, but you can see a "before and after" on the car in this post.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1719281)   #5
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as I know "fit" isn't checked, just that the helmet is within current spec and regulations.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 13:56 (Ref:1719312)   #6
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Never seen the fit checked at scrutes = never seen a driver have to put it on to check - they just check that it is within specs and regs just loike they do with the overalls etc.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 14:17 (Ref:1719325)   #7
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've seen/attended several accidents over the years where helmets have come off. More than one was full-faced but I have the impression that more were open-faced.

From memory I recall two where the strap was not done up when found, two/three where it was done up and two where the strap attchment had failed.

At first sight, I don't see why FF should perform much differently from OF. Helmets are held on by the strap under the jaw and the curve of the helmet under the back of the skull. To a first approximation these are very similar in OF/FF.

The chin bar in a FF helmet is not designed to catch on the nose and if it did so, I guess that the excess of force would be easily sufficient to deform/remove the nose rather than contribute to the helmet's retention.

Have a look at the ACU guidance on helmet sizing and you will see that fastening the strap and then rotating the helmet forward is the test they recommend.

So if someone has a helmet which is too large and then stops suddenly, I guess that is the accident mechanism which will test correct fitting to the limits.

Don't dismiss drivers who do not do up the strap, either at all or very loosely. See http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?p=923753

And also http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...met#post930079

Regards

Jim
Old 25 Sep 2006, 14:36 (Ref:1719336)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Then of course there was the occasion at a Promenade sprint on the IoM when a driver came off, hit a lamppost and the car disappeared into the scenery.

Rescue unit dispatched, doctor wakes up and see orange helmet rolling down the road: THINKS "Oh dear his head's come off"!

Luckily, on investigation, it was the Belisha beacon* light which had been hit by the car.

Cue laughter all round.

Regards

Jim

*Caution: Too much information follows! Belisha beacon is the name which was given to a pole with a flashing orange globe, about 25cm in diameter, on top. Used to mark the location of pedestrian crossings in the UK (and IoM). Named after a UK Minister of Transport at the time 'Zebra' crossings were introduced.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 14:53 (Ref:1719359)   #9
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Well we found the helmet 15 mtrs away from the car - but since we knew the driver still had a head, that was less of an issue!

I'll admit, it bothers me more than I expected. I mean, the guy will be ok in any case. But it was a particularly violent accident and the first time I've ever encountered this. The straps were definitely fastened when I checked the helmet, so I'm assuming that the fit wasn't quite right. I've always had the impression that the fit on OF was looser than that of the FF. Not sure why I have that mind you - I think it's just the look of them.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 14:59 (Ref:1719364)   #10
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could the lining and padding inside the helmet have been crushed, giving more free space to move, therefore enough room to come off?

i can understand your concerns and worries i havent encountered this sort of incident. dealt with one or two biggies, one a couple of weeks ago in the sprint at cadwell.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1719365)   #11
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
I've dealt with a fair few biggies as well - ones where the drivers suffered worse injury as well.

I honestly don't know why this one is bothering me so much but the failure of such a vital piece of safety equipment, for whatever reason, just really disturbs me.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1719369)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's understandable though....it is quite alarming. Is it being investigated as to why it came off?
Old 25 Sep 2006, 15:08 (Ref:1719370)   #13
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
I would assume so. MSA Stewards were out and photographed the scene before we were allowed to clear up. I'd already given the helmet to the doc, but we'd put a marker on the spot where the helmet was.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 15:10 (Ref:1719374)   #14
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
If you have the driver's co-operation, why not ask him if he would mind being examined. I'd be very surprised if forcible removal of a helmet which has been at all done up did not leave plenty of marks. Perhaps a bit late now?

Also, ask him to put on a helmet of the same make without any prompting.

Then examine carefully and see what he has done.

(Not looking to blame anyone, just find causes - see air accident investigation rules and disclaimers.)

Regards

Jim
Old 25 Sep 2006, 15:17 (Ref:1719381)   #15
Suze
Veteran

England
Wasn't sure but likewise presumed.

Jim, I was wondering similar if the driver was marked at all. EP just to confirm - he will be ok?
Old 25 Sep 2006, 15:20 (Ref:1719385)   #16
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
Named after a UK Minister of Transport at the time 'Zebra' crossings were introduced.
Close, but no cigar! Belisha beacons were introduced in 1934, Zebra crossings first appeared in 1949.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 15:22 (Ref:1719386)   #17
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Never seen the fit checked at scrutes
Bike scrutes do check helmet fit.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 15:25 (Ref:1719389)   #18
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Wasn't sure but likewise presumed.

Jim, I was wondering similar if the driver was marked at all. EP just to confirm - he will be ok?
As far as we know - very banged up and a couple of broken bones, but otherwise ok.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 15:56 (Ref:1719406)   #19
Suze
Veteran

England
Ok - certainly from what you've said, the banged up isn't too surprising.

Dave - interesting re bikes - do wonder why it's not therefore checked in car racing.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 15:57 (Ref:1719407)   #20
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Bike scrutes do check helmet fit.
This is very relevant!! Not quite in the same category, but we once had a customer passing the Start Line on a Race School, driving a single seater Van Diemen Audi, where the "chin" part of the helmet was nearly over his eyes. (He was Black flagged") My point is; was it his helmet?? Was it the right size??
Old 25 Sep 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1719494)   #21
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The roof: that looks like it had a removable hard top in place anyway, so the force of the accident must have removed it - probably shouldn't have.

The helmet, new one on me - no one ever tells you what to do if a driver's helmet comes off of it's own accord.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 17:45 (Ref:1719507)   #22
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hopefully we wont have to tell this chap to put his visor down again

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=217215
Old 25 Sep 2006, 23:03 (Ref:1719802)   #23
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've seen three helmets come off in crashes over the years

It was either caused by not doing them up properly in the first place or in one case putting on a "horse collar" style neck brace first and then the helmet.

Interestingly the horse collar one was in circuit racing (Phillip Island) where the other two were in speedway where horse collars were compulsary before HANS arrived.

Actually that's another bonus of the HANS device as it will keep the helmet in the car I s'pose.

I guess it would be easy enough to plonk the helmet on your head and get side tracked before you do up the strap or even before you get a chance to do it up properly.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 06:43 (Ref:1719973)   #24
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was always told when buying a helmet, that you do up the strap then put your chin down and see if the helmet can be pulled off from the back of your head. If it does not fit correctly there will be a lot of movement from the nape of the kneck up the back of the head.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 08:02 (Ref:1720029)   #25
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim69
I was always told when buying a helmet, that you do up the strap then put your chin down and see if the helmet can be pulled off from the back of your head. If it does not fit correctly there will be a lot of movement from the nape of the kneck up the back of the head.
Yes, that's the ACU style of test.

Regards

Jim