Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Jan 2019, 09:53 (Ref:3878489)   #451
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Max they mostly don't go by road! Only the A380 wings go by road, barge and ship, and they're only building 8 per year of them, The smaller ones are flown straight to Toulouse in the Beluga special aircraft.

Project Fear at work again.....
Whilst I appreciate what you're saying, my nickname in the team is "it'll be fiiiine" for battling on ignoring all around me. You remind me of me! I think it was you who introduced me to the 7Ps - we're certainly not seeing the chance for "perfect prior preparation."

All I can think of is the thousands of components coming in from around Europe to make those wings. Yes a lot come from the UK, but who knows where the JIT deliveries to make those components come from?

I'm not a Leaver nor Remainer but a realist who's been around long enough to see almighty **** ups. And this looks like one.

I'm genuinely cross that we've been left in the situation that whatever happens we'll now have a bad exit from the EU. It's not going to be fiiiine. There's thousands of small businesses who don't know the paperwork they're going to have to complete in just 60 days.

And now Her Maj is metaphorically banging a few heads together, hopefully these numpties will extract the digit and get things sorted so I can know under what regime my stock delivery from Germany will arrive on April 15th.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 25 Jan 2019, 13:18 (Ref:3878536)   #452
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
Basically the same as the UK car industry then.
Yep,

Apart from the parts of it that are heading to Slovakia and Austria.

I must check the Slovak translation for "Defender" ....

"Obranca" apparently.

"Objav" for the Discovery.

iPace is still iPace in German.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 13:26 (Ref:3878539)   #453
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Max they mostly don't go by road! Only the A380 wings go by road, barge and ship, and they're only building 8 per year of them, The smaller ones are flown straight to Toulouse in the Beluga special aircraft.

Surely A380 wings are of little concern these days?

Sadly.

I really enjoyed a few hours in 380s on the way to Oz and back. Amazing that the first ones are already heading for the scrap yard.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 13:38 (Ref:3878543)   #454
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Yep,

Apart from the parts of it that are heading to Slovakia and Austria.

I must check the Slovak translation for "Defender" ....
"Obranca" apparently.
"Objav" for the Discovery.
iPace is still iPace in German.
The iPace is made by Magna Steyr in Austria (OK they speak German I think), as are several UK market models from other manufacturers, especially 4WDs. Think Mini Countryman one, and some Jeeps were. It’s all or do with not having or previously not having enough factory capacity, not because labour or overheads are / were cheaper. Going back many years, the first gen Porsche Boxsters were made in Finland, as was the VX Calibra, so nothing new..... Plus EU spec Mercs and Beemers made in America.....
Old 25 Jan 2019, 13:41 (Ref:3878545)   #455
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
And of course as I pointed out a while ago, there are 68,000 direct employees of Airbus in France. M. Macron needs to be careful how he goes about keeping them employed.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 14:00 (Ref:3878548)   #456
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A point not often made is the effect of a 'Proper Exit' aka hard, crash, is the loss to firms/countries that export to the UK.
How much tinned fruit is imported by Tesco, Sainsbury et al? A massive loss to the suppliers no doubt, and that is just one small matter, tyres, domestic appliances, clothes, fuel, etc, etc. I think that common sense will have to be imported, but eventually sufficient will be found to sort out suitable arrangements for all concerned.

850,000 German cars are imported each year into the UK (I hear), so watch it Frau Merkel.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 14:02 (Ref:3878549)   #457
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Plus EU spec Mercs and Beemers made in America.....

Wouldn't "assembled" be a more accurate way of describing the process?
Old 25 Jan 2019, 14:22 (Ref:3878552)   #458
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Wouldn't "assembled" be a more accurate way of describing the process?
Well, BMW describe the process as manufacturing, but I’m not going to split hairs.....

https://www.bmwusfactory.com/manufac...tion-overview/
Old 25 Jan 2019, 14:35 (Ref:3878554)   #459
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a bit like with the Airbus 320 seies. With them, the wings are manufactured in Wales, the very rear fuselage and stabilisers are made in Italy, the cockpit in Germany or is it France?, and the main fuselage and tail in France or is it Germany? - it's either one way or the other.

Then the lot are collated in Germany, and then shipped to the States for assembly. No doubt the Yanks claim that they manufacture the planes.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 16:15 (Ref:3878574)   #460
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
It's a bit like with the Airbus 320 seies. With them, the wings are manufactured in Wales, the very rear fuselage and stabilisers are made in Italy, the cockpit in Germany or is it France?, and the main fuselage and tail in France or is it Germany? - it's either one way or the other.

Then the lot are collated in Germany, and then shipped to the States for assembly. No doubt the Yanks claim that they manufacture the planes.

But how can that work? The States aren't in the EU, and we all know that we won't be able to import anything after March 29, and are therefore going to starve......despite our farmers not being able to export their products, and lots of our other food coming from non-EU sources......Good job I like Australian and Chilean wine.....
Old 25 Jan 2019, 16:21 (Ref:3878578)   #461
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
May I recommend Petite Syrah Baja California? There is a lot of know how in Mexico.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 16:34 (Ref:3878582)   #462
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
But how can that work? The States aren't in the EU, and we all know that we won't be able to import anything after March 29, and are therefore going to starve......despite our farmers not being able to export their products, and lots of our other food coming from non-EU sources......Good job I like Australian and Chilean wine.....
What wait? The USA is not in the EU? Does the remain campaign know this?
Old 25 Jan 2019, 16:45 (Ref:3878586)   #463
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post

I would imagine that it's all to do with the horse trading that went on about Boeing's complaints about Airbus' illegal/unfair governmental financial assistance.

The original idea was that some of the Airbuses to be flown by American airlines would be assembled in the plant in Mobile,Alabama. However, I was surprised to see a video of one of the A320 family being rolled out of the final assembly building in full Lufthansa trim. L/H don't fly internally in the States with any of the A320 family.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 18:21 (Ref:3878620)   #464
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Anyway, does anyone doubt that the French-dominated management of Airbus have been taking their cue from President M to wring out their damp underwear in public and put as much pressure on us Brits as possible ?

Men and women of TenTenths, eight weeks to the leaving date, of which our massively conscientious Parliament will no doubt only be present for half the time.
Nick
Old 25 Jan 2019, 18:59 (Ref:3878638)   #465
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Anyway, does anyone doubt that the French-dominated management of Airbus have been taking their cue from President M to wring out their damp underwear in public and put as much pressure on us Brits as possible ?

Men and women of TenTenths, eight weeks to the leaving date, of which our massively conscientious Parliament will no doubt only be present for half the time.
Nick
Best news I've heard all week, Nick
Old 25 Jan 2019, 19:12 (Ref:3878643)   #466
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Surely A380 wings are of little concern these days?

Sadly.

I really enjoyed a few hours in 380s on the way to Oz and back. Amazing that the first ones are already heading for the scrap yard.
Agree, but it's an odd situation. The 2018 end of year backlog is 87 A380s, 58 of those are for Emirates. The production plan has been reduced to 8 per year but I cannot see them still building and delivering them in 10 years time unless they do a redesign to use more efficient and less polluting engines.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 19:16 (Ref:3878646)   #467
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Whilst I appreciate what you're saying, my nickname in the team is "it'll be fiiiine" for battling on ignoring all around me. You remind me of me! ...........
That's because your younger and more optimistic self taught me well
Old 25 Jan 2019, 20:02 (Ref:3878656)   #468
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The iPace is made by Magna Steyr in Austria (OK they speak German I think), as are several UK market models from other manufacturers, especially 4WDs. Think Mini Countryman one, and some Jeeps were. It’s all or do with not having or previously not having enough factory capacity, not because labour or overheads are / were cheaper. Going back many years, the first gen Porsche Boxsters were made in Finland, as was the VX Calibra, so nothing new..... Plus EU spec Mercs and Beemers made in America.....
Around 20 years ago some models of UK ,market BMW 3 series were made in South Africa.

I did check to see of the Translation tool listed Austrian German separately to German but it seems not.

I recall the fist few years of Boxsters were made by Valmet.

Hmm. And the Cayman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valmet_Automotive

There are some interesting names in there.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 06:34 (Ref:3878728)   #469
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Indeed! Off topic, but another insight into the wacky world of car manufacturing- Magna Steyr in detail..... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Steyr
Old 26 Jan 2019, 06:44 (Ref:3878730)   #470
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I recall back in 2006 bumping into some German Porsche Engineers who were off to a factory in Russia to start building Cayennes. Didn't think Russia was in the EU.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:09 (Ref:3880195)   #471
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll just put this here for the giggles.

You really do need to read the comments on FB they're hilarious - from both sides

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 28 Jan 2019, 17:03 (Ref:3880227)   #472
bauble
Veteran

England
Oh My Goodness no lettuce or tomatoes they say … well not until our own growers can supply them. I plan to stock pile lettuce in case I ever have to feed a rabbit, or fancy a lettuce sandwich.
Thanks for the warning Max. I owe you.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3880228)   #473
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Oh My Goodness no lettuce or tomatoes they say
Bon ben alors, ça va pas mieux du côté de Luton, on commence Ã* yoyoter de la touffe ou bien? First no blasphemy, second lettuce or tomatoes means they just say garbage! Rompez moussaillon! Yes I know, "some targeted" accounts will be deleted on the 31 of a certain month, at midnight plus one second. Like yogurts!!!
Old 28 Jan 2019, 17:17 (Ref:3880231)   #474
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Most of the stuff in that photo doesn't come from the EU, apart from maybe the tomatoes
Old 28 Jan 2019, 18:00 (Ref:3880239)   #475
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Most of the stuff in that photo doesn't come from the EU, apart from maybe the tomatoes
Sadly, probably more in the pic is imported than you’d think. The peppers for instance. My ex bro in law and sister used to grow them for a living not far from here, until forced out if the market by cheaper produce from Holland.

There’s an awful lot of veg that we could grow here if it wasn’t imported cheaper. It would be good to see that happen.....