Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Nov 2014, 22:19 (Ref:3480485)   #1
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Drink Tom Kristensen appreciation thread.

Hello all.

I hope this isn't too much, but thought it would be nice to have a thread to collect all thoughts concerning the retirement of Tom Kristensen from Le Mans and WEC.

I'll start with this message I've posted on Facebook to Tom Kristensen:

Quote:
Thank you for everything Tom Kristensen!
You awoke my initial interest in what is today my greatest passion: Motorsport, especially Le Mans!
I am very grateful for this, and it will be weird that I can no longer follow your participation in Le Mans, and the WEC.
If this thread gathers momentum, I will try to contact Tom's press officer with the link, and hope he/she will show it to Mr. Le Mans himself.

All the Best
Mathias Brix - CTD.
Old 30 Nov 2014, 22:41 (Ref:3480496)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well to me i remember him overtaking some of the old legends and thinking at the time that he would never replace them as a real legend, but had the eat my words as he has and by some margin, he deserves the name Mr Le Mans, in 30 years of going to Le Mans i have only spoken to him once but that was a proud moment for me and one i will always remember.
Old 30 Nov 2014, 23:25 (Ref:3480513)   #3
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of the cornerstones of my childhood, alongside Rossi, McNish and Schumacher. A man I admired, a man I still look up to now.

Tom Kristensen is an all-time great in our sport, and I thank him for all the memories and moments he has provided me, and fans across the globe.

Last edited by adam46; 30 Nov 2014 at 23:34.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 30 Nov 2014, 23:27 (Ref:3480514)   #4
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Hindy & Goodwin had an interesting (somewhat hyperbole) speculation that his record might be shattered in future considering the what's the average LMP1 career starting age nowadays. That would require one team dominating for a long period though and I don't see that happening at least not with four teams.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 11:32 (Ref:3480695)   #5
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luckily I got the invitation for a Audi VIP experience during Shanghai 6hrs, but I didn't realized that it would be your last race there then. I'm sure the photos taken with you will be one of my best moments in life.
Thank you very much, not only for nine champions, but also for everything you've done for the team. Team Joest will be totally different without your Danish flag.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 11:39 (Ref:3480698)   #6
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He is absolutely a legend of Le Mans.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 12:15 (Ref:3480707)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
An amazing record from a truly brilliant driver and a huge credit to the sport. And proof that you don't need to run in F1 to be a motorsports star. He will be missed, that's for sure.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 12:44 (Ref:3480715)   #8
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I will miss him
Old 1 Dec 2014, 19:41 (Ref:3480843)   #9
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not even wearing his cap backwards after getting out of the car at Interlagos could blemish an incredible career

In all seriousness though his retirement really does draw a line under an incredible chapter of sportscar racing. As Graham and Hindy mentioned in commentary - he's the last of the "old boys club" at Audi, following Frank, Emmanuele, Marco, Dindo and Allan into ambassadorial roles.

His record at Le Mans simply will not be beaten for my money.

To win six in a row in that period for 2000-05 was simply incredible. Say what you want about competition, Audi dominance and the like. He clearly galvanized those teams and elevated them to greater things.

He's been lucky to have been in a car capable of winning for every single one of his attempts (although the '98 BMW was a long-shot) but that just shows the calibre of driver he is.

It's easy to do (I just did) but simply condensing his career into Le Mans appearances does the man a disservice. He's really done it all.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 23:57 (Ref:3480904)   #10
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very much agree with that Simmi. Perhaps "Mr Endurance Racing" is better than "Mr Le Mans".

When I was young, TK winning at Le Mans was as sure a bet as the existence of Santa Clause. It's a sport that doesn't usually lend itself particularly well to young audiences but each and every one of those members of the Audi "old boys" club were excellent role models, with Kristensen being the ultimate manifestation of all that was good about them.

I've seen him win in the freezing cold at Silverstone, in the early hours in my living room at Sebring and with sun stroke at Le Mans. It's been a pleasure to do so.

It's all going to be very strange without him. But I'm looking forward to watching the next legend grow.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 02:24 (Ref:3480940)   #11
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been watching sports car racing since 2001, and Tom Kristensen's been the most successful driver through that entire time.

I cheered against his cars as often as for them, watched his wins in both the American Le Mans Series and at the 24 hours of Le Mans every year, but sadly was never able to attend a race he drove in.

Tom, you have the respect and admiration of sportscar fans all over the world, and your presence behind the wheel will be missed.
Thanks for the great races we were all able to watch.

Last edited by Mechanic Z; 2 Dec 2014 at 02:33.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 06:46 (Ref:3480979)   #12
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've steered clear of everything sports car racing related, over the last few days to watch Sao Paulo and TK's last race. Even in sports car racing starved Australia, it hasn't been easy. The local media, true to form, who hardly ever show anything relating to Le Mans, had Webbers accident across all the news services without even mentioning who won, and of course, TK's last appearance. I gave up and watched the highlights package earlier today.
I count myself lucky that I was actually at Tom's last LM24 this year. Hindy mentioned something in the original Truth in 24, that we will never see anyone break his record of (at that stage) 7 wins. For anyone to win 9 times is damn near, nigh impossible. I suppose you should never say never, but it would require one hell of a set of circumstances, and one hell of a driver, to even get close. Motor racing is a sport where records are always being broken, but I can see TK's run of nine LM24 wins remaining intact for my lifetime.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 13:51 (Ref:3481061)   #13
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't forget arguably TK's finest achievement - a season in the BTCC.

Old 2 Dec 2014, 14:45 (Ref:3481074)   #14
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will always remember his season in the BTCC fondly, it was the first time I ever had anything to do with TK. That and the signed postcards I have somewhere (sorry Matthias).

Always came across as humble and a nice bloke but an absolute monster on the track.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 15:06 (Ref:3481077)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes I was always a big BTCC fan and I will always remember his first win, hoping his car would hold out despite leaking oil for the last few laps.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 16:45 (Ref:3481100)   #16
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
I will always remember his season in the BTCC fondly, it was the first time I ever had anything to do with TK. That and the signed postcards I have somewhere (sorry Mathias).

Always came across as humble and a nice bloke but an absolute monster on the track.
You should have two somewhere
Old 2 Dec 2014, 16:51 (Ref:3481103)   #17
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's going to be a very strange feeling watching Le Mans without TK. Everytime he got in the car i knew he would delivery a solid job. His 6 straight wins at Le Mans is the most amazing record in motorsport IMHO.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 17:01 (Ref:3481108)   #18
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Allthough I must admit that there have been moments that I though 'Owh, not him again!' , I too will miss this sportscar hero.