Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Sep 2008, 08:29 (Ref:2279199)   #76
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Brands GP can only be used a certain number of days a year due to local noise restrictions. Once you account for WTCC, Superbikes, Historic Superprix and some testing there's not many days left. I believe the DTM actually requested to use the Indy circuit, which is a shame as the sight of a modern DTM car at full chat through Dingle Dell would be something special.

The problem with the Indy circuit is not so much the circuit but a combination of circuit and cars. Any series that relies on aerodynamics will find it difficult to overtake. Formula Renault is a prime example at BTCC meetings, even BTCC suffered a little in the last days of Supertouring. No one wants to overtake as if they get forced wide in the process they end up losing several places. DTM is now so aero-dependent that it becomes an even bigger problem.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 08:30 (Ref:2279201)   #77
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
aslak - the short circuit is what the DTM organisation want, but maybe next year
stedevil - the biggest complainer left years ago, some that live next to the circuit are very big racing fans.

and, like Bert, I thoroughly enjoyed it all.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 09:07 (Ref:2279223)   #78
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allright, I guess you are right. I know that ITR requested the Indy part of the track.

Please dont get me wrong. I enjoyed it as well as I am an overall DTM nut, but it could ad some spice with at leaset a couple of overtaking manouvres. But the aerodependant cars would find it hard, it seems.

A DTM car at full chat through Dingle Dell would be something else
Old 1 Sep 2008, 10:37 (Ref:2279288)   #79
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
aslak - the short circuit is what the DTM organisation want, but maybe next year
stedevil - the biggest complainer left years ago, some that live next to the circuit are very big racing fans.

The reason dtm uses the indy circuit is that althougth the GP circuit meets FIA grade 2 standards it does not meet DTM grade 2 standards, so we are lucky that the GP circuit is not used for DTM as debreis fencing would have to be put up, run off areas extending and corners reprofiled because what DTM want DTM get as we have seen with the indy circuit.

The 'DTM standards' is also what a believe cause the inside of druids to be closed off this weekend.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 11:05 (Ref:2279311)   #80
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
That's probably right - when I got there about 8.30 the queue was already massive.
I couldn't work out if it was a queue for something in particular or if it was just British people joining a queue because it's what we do. It was certainly a smart move by Mercedes bringing Lewis along - imagine the money they must have made from all that Hamilton-related tat that everybody was buying.

I'm not exactly a DTM expert, but I enjoyed the race, although I am inclined to say that it may have been better on the GP circuit. I'll add my name to the list of people who enjoyed the day, although my first sighting of Ralf was enough to convince me that it was worthwhile.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 1 Sep 2008, 12:35 (Ref:2279353)   #81
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
...my first sighting of Ralf was enough to convince me that it was worthwhile.
In the gravel trap at Druids?
Old 1 Sep 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2279617)   #82
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
In the gravel trap at Druids?

But don't care.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 18:32 (Ref:2279620)   #83
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Yes, in all due respect I think that the Ralf seat should be filled with someone else. It is not unpolite to suggest, that Mercedes and the DMSB was looking at the commercial possibilities when hiring Ralf, rather then results in the championship.

A bit like Matthias Lauda
Old 2 Sep 2008, 09:05 (Ref:2279946)   #84
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats a very good drive by Timo Scheider - the drive of a DTM champion elect
Old 2 Sep 2008, 21:53 (Ref:2280454)   #85
PCR
Rookie

Germany
PCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
Yes, in all due respect I think that the Ralf seat should be filled with someone else. It is not unpolite to suggest, that Mercedes and the DMSB was looking at the commercial possibilities when hiring Ralf, rather then results in the championship.
But in my point of view he´s better than Maro Engel. Just Cora and the hype about her husband are annoying.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 21:13 (Ref:2281177)   #86
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Great to hear that common sense prevails and the complainer moved, not the track. Must be a dream come true for a petrol head to live on walking distance to such a good track.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 10:18 (Ref:2281493)   #87
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
Great to hear that common sense prevails and the complainer moved, not the track. Must be a dream come true for a petrol head to live on walking distance to such a good track.
I think it should be written into the contract when anyone moves in that they are not allowed to complain about the 'noise' from the circuit. It's not like they don't know it's there after all

But don't care.
Old 5 Sep 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2282568)   #88
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bah, boring race. I nearly fell asleep. How many cars did Ekström overtake on his way to 3rd?
Old 6 Sep 2008, 09:07 (Ref:2282717)   #89
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Exactly my point, the overtaking was in the pits.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 12:45 (Ref:2282818)   #90
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The complainer has been replaced by another person who complains about anything to do with the circuit. This person has even accused me of being a traitor to the village for working at the circuit when they tried to make me join the anti-brigade just after Mum died.

In one village meeting about the GP going to Brands a local councillor was accused of taking bribes from Brands when he got his residents pass. I live in West Kingsdown and love the circuit and all the benifits it brings to the area
Old 6 Sep 2008, 12:54 (Ref:2282821)   #91
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by westfieldbend
The 'DTM standards' is also what a believe cause the inside of druids to be closed off this weekend.
I was wondering about that. I was disgusted to find it closed, with no advance warning. That was where I planned to be most of Friday taking photos... few other opportunities without catch fencing in the way. Druids was partly closed in 2007, but was fully open in 2006. I had assumed it was closed due to the TV camera on a large extending arm in there, but that doesn't justify sealing off the whole area. So you're probably right.

Anyway, despite that disappointment I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend, even though the 'racing' from DTM and F3 was as processional as I'd expect. Meeting Ralf Schumacher and loads of other drivers made it a great weekend.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 15:50 (Ref:2282889)   #92
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal
The complainer has been replaced by another person who complains about anything to do with the circuit.
and is it safe to "assume" he is new to the area?

But don't care.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 16:07 (Ref:2282901)   #93
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits!
and is it safe to "assume" he is new to the area?
She is Simon, and to make matters worse she shares the same name as Mum so I get all sorts of mail about Brands which I copy and give to Brands. It is legal as I am Mums executor so I am entitled to open mail addressed to her.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 07:22 (Ref:2284357)   #94
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hehe, keep it up ascar
Somebody needs to stand up against morons. Wonder, if she would have bought a house next to the railway, would she demand that the trains should stop running as well? :P
Old 9 Sep 2008, 21:50 (Ref:2286066)   #95
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news -- DTM and MSVR have agreed a further three-year contract for DTM at Brands Hatch.