Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 30 Apr 2009, 01:10 (Ref:2452527)   #76
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I sense no sarcasm. I agree to a point, especially about the tri-ovals. I hope to God they never hold another open wheel event at AMS. That's insane. That being said, Nascar is quite possibly the safest form of motorsport around (NHRA being at the opposite end of the spectrum).

I was thinking earlier, if they ran unrestricted at the super speedways would we see drastically different racing? The cars are so aero dependent and these days are very different to when Ernie Elliot could squeeze out 50+hp more than the rest of the field. I don't know, but I would like to see a couple of guys run a test unrestricted. I wonder when the last time that happened was?
Old 30 Apr 2009, 07:36 (Ref:2452622)   #77
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bear in mind these comments are from someone who has never seen non-rp racing

I've just noticed that the title of this thread proved to be strangely prophetic - Edwards literally did 'hit Dega'...

Anyway, a lot of the reaction to this reminds me of the hysteria that surrounded Sennas death, and to a lesser degree Schumachers broken leg in F1. (The gravel trap slowed the car from 190mph+ to 60 in the space of 30yds but apparently wasn't effective). People need to throw emotion aside and look at things objectively. Yes the accident was nasty, but it was the second collision with Newman that unsettled the car and made it take off. If Edwards had simply done an exit stage right into the wall, would there still be all this fuss?

I've seen a lot of coments in other forums saying the yellow line rule is to blame and should be removed. This is a bad idea. Give racing drivers an inch and they will take a yard. If the yellow line isn't there you'll see drivers pushing each other up against the apron, the grass, the wall, or anything else they can find that will slow down the person trying to overtake them.

The other thing people are *****ing about is the restrictor plate itself. Now maybe I'm ignorant but presumably these are fitted to slow the cars down? The telemetry feeds I saw showed some of the cars hitting 190 down the straights and IIRC at places like Texas they can manage that without the plates. I don't really want to see what happens if one takes off at 220 or 240.

Having said that, for sure rp racing is an accident in waiting, but i don't think the spped of the cars as such is the problem - it's the whole pack racing thing. Break the pack up and you lessen the risk. I think Nascar need to look seriously at the aero package. Lose the restrictors so the cars can actually have some throttle response and race, and increase the drag to slow the cars down and/or break up the draft a bit. What they can't do long-term is leave things as they are.

Last edited by Cynic; 30 Apr 2009 at 07:37. Reason: Okay, the autocensor doesn't like the term for a female dog... You learn something new everyday.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 11:25 (Ref:2452797)   #78
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut7 View Post
COULD AMBROSE GET INTO THE CHASE?
no
Old 30 Apr 2009, 11:37 (Ref:2452805)   #79
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
would be an interesting test, to go unrestricted....faster, smaller packs would be the result, IMO, but i agree....we need a test. and please JHamilton, spell Elliott with two ts next time . and i agree...i think IRL will be facing the same questions soon about their races on the high banks.

i like plate racin because it keeps you on the edge of your seat and always has close finishes, something the nascar CUP races have had very few of since the CoTerrible came along. i hate the wreckin part.

Cynic is right about hysteria...that's exactly what it is. this has and always will be about fan safety....carl edwards RAN from the wreck. fans in the front few rows were hurt. what to do? i think plate, which is a 21 year old solution, has run it's course. i'd like to see the plates taken off, build a strornger, taller fence and back the crowd up (don't sell tickets for the first few rows). none of which will happen.....

if nothing happens, maybe the long tracks will go the way of the board tracks from early 1900s...fan safety, among other problems, shut those places down...why should anyone stand for their fans, the most important aspect to their sport, to be injuryed from watching an event.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 19:25 (Ref:2453138)   #80
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
Lose the restrictors so the cars can actually have some throttle response and race, and increase the drag to slow the cars down and/or break up the draft a bit. What they can't do long-term is leave things as they are.
The thing is though, the threshold for a blow-over take off is around 195mph. Having that much drag to bring a car from 240mph down to 190mph would not be good. Although im not that in-the-know about how much speed drag can shave off.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 20:49 (Ref:2453209)   #81
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How about they make them use the actual front and rear clip off the street cars? That will both increase drag and improve the aerodynamics and fuel mileage of street cars.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 22:56 (Ref:2453276)   #82
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
The thing is though, the threshold for a blow-over take off is around 195mph.
Thats why the most changes we'll see from Nascar will probably be just a smaller plate.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 2 May 2009, 08:03 (Ref:2454007)   #83
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably a gurney flap on the rear wing too.

They once said that if they made the restrictor plate any smaller, you wouldn't be able to get a knitting needle through the holes!

Though they might decide that what they need to do is improve the spectator safety a little, since that's where the casualties were.

Maybe smaller mesh in the catch fence, a few more restraining wires, deeper SAFER barrier along that stretch, and less/no junk attached to the fence and it's supports.

To quote Carl Edwards when asked if it will lead to changes... "I don't know, It's just a spectacle, I can deal with that, but it shouldn't be worth points"
Old 2 May 2009, 15:21 (Ref:2454164)   #84
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59 View Post
Probably a gurney flap on the rear wing too.

They once said that if they made the restrictor plate any smaller, you wouldn't be able to get a knitting needle through the holes!

Though they might decide that what they need to do is improve the spectator safety a little, since that's where the casualties were.

Maybe smaller mesh in the catch fence, a few more restraining wires, deeper SAFER barrier along that stretch, and less/no junk attached to the fence and it's supports.

To quote Carl Edwards when asked if it will lead to changes... "I don't know, It's just a spectacle, I can deal with that, but it shouldn't be worth points"
They're not THAT small of openings.
Old 2 May 2009, 22:44 (Ref:2454285)   #85
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Figure of speech...