Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 Aug 2008, 20:38 (Ref:2275857)   #26
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe BMW wants Priaulx to drive their new GT2 in the ALMS. That would make for some room for Thompson, and I can imagine Priaulx is in for a new challenge as well.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 20:42 (Ref:2275862)   #27
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
SEAT are so solely focused on Plato why would Thompson want be in a team where he was only playing a supporting role.?

If you want to start more silly rumours why not add
Thompson replacing Priaulx at BMW?
Thompson replacing Green at Mercedes?
Thompson replacing Legge at Audi?
and every other variation to that list
Maybe a change at SEAT UK? After years and years Plato has still not won the championship. Maybe time for a different strategie or driver?

At the end of last year the situation of Huff was unclear. There were rumours he would be replaced. Huff or Thompson I would sign Thompson.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 21:08 (Ref:2275883)   #28
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are SEAT focused on Plato or has he just ended up with better reliability (or less worse reliability in SEAT's case this year) at the beginning of the year? If SEAT UK signed Thommo for next year I'm sure he'd challenge Plato, if not totally out-pace him, and maybe they can actually get a championship.

Still, Thommo has previosly stated that he wants to get the WTCC now, not the BTCC, so this is still the most likely place for him. Could Chevy maybe expand to four cars for him?
Old 26 Aug 2008, 21:38 (Ref:2275902)   #29
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Plato signed a multi-year deal with SEAT UK only at the end of last year IIRC.

Wasn't Thommo offered a drive at Chevy for this year, I'm sure I've heard John Cleland mentioning it on Eurosport at some point this year. Maybe Chevy will expand to four cars to keep up with SEAT and BMW. At the end of the day though (realistically), Thompson is going to hold out for a WTCC drive and then look elsewhere if there is nothing.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 07:51 (Ref:2277294)   #30
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=awrb] If SEAT UK signed Thommo for next year I'm sure he'd challenge Plato, if not totally out-pace him, and maybe they can actually get a championship.

I dont think there is any question Thommo would beat Plato and is the best driver out of the two. Seat for me need to change there driver line up though and Plato I feel is not going to win the championship due to other drivers not having respect for him. (if you give out you always get it back)

I agree with Touringcarlegend that Tommo will be in a WTCC car and take a BTCC drive as a last resort, Chevy in WTCC or N Tech with a works package appears the likely avenues but Team Dynamics is way off the mark, no chance IMO.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 10:34 (Ref:2277384)   #31
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how about this as an IDEA Thommo brings N-Tech over to the UK to race?
He knows the tracks well, the team well, the perfect place to perfect either the Accord or any new car?
Just an idea but if i were Thommo...........tis what i would try and do!
Simon
Old 29 Aug 2008, 13:11 (Ref:2277453)   #32
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Other that for personal/financial reasons, the only reason I could see Thommo returning to the BTCC would be because he believes that the credibility of the WTCC has significantly decreased that a title win would be of less value.

Its clear that Thommo has been there, seen it and done in the BTCC with two titles to his name. He hasn't taken a WTCC title. However the number of manufacturers in the WTCC continues to remain weak and there's now the whole debate as to whether its a level playing field at all - completely different propulsion units and the yo-yo weight 'equalization' between marques at what seems to be almost every event.

He's clearly very attached to N-technology but they just do not have the wherewithall to develop that Accord nor to mount a campaign against SEAT. Unless Honda step up to the table and give N-Technology works status and a works budget, Thommo would be well advised to look elsewhere.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 03:30 (Ref:2277853)   #33
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Im not so sure Honda and N-tech is a bad choice. I saw the exact same development of the Honda in last years STCC, mostly struggling with 1 driver learning the correct setups for the different tracks. This year they've added a driver and is duking it out with the 2 top BMW teams for the championship.

On top of that, with everybody in WTCC already getting weight drops left, right and centre, the Honda from the start was heavier than all but the TDIs. Pretty darn difficult to be the new kid on the block AND have to struggle with extra weight.

The real worry as I see it is that they might be changing to a civic next year. That would mean next to everything they learnt this year would be wasted.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 18:53 (Ref:2281762)   #34
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Interview with Thompson:
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=2664
Old 4 Sep 2008, 20:32 (Ref:2281856)   #35
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Very interesting read, especially the part about them having 0 cash for any kind of testing. Explains why I found them to be struggling so badly in pace relative the Volvo when WTCC visited Britain. Hope he manages to get a some good sponsors for next year, if nothing else from Japan.
Old 5 Sep 2008, 08:02 (Ref:2282084)   #36
Icebaby
Veteran

Yep agree, great article and some very good questions asked to James. I still can't help feeling they should have stuck with the Alfa which would have still generated the results. Taking the Honda appears now to have been the wrong move and nothing to indicate Honda are to step in with a works programme which must have been the banker they were looking for.

I would be suprised not to see James picked up by Chevy or an other manufacturer in the WTCC, should he return to the BTCC and assuming he goes to Seat which would be a likely destination I feel he would win it.

Shame for this year as running around at the tail end is not where he deserves to be however I am sure he will learn that there is a balance between loyality and being in the right place.
Old 5 Sep 2008, 09:13 (Ref:2282122)   #37
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its an excellent interview... though I'm not all that sure about the transcription... Thomo's English isn't that bad

Its the classic situation that's played out many times before - a small privateer outfit with minimal budget trying to develop a new car without factory support. It will always be doomed to failure. The 156 was developed with a huge budget and N-Technology were eeking out the last microns from it in 2007. The Accord situation is different.

I think Thomo's options are more limited than you'd imagine... but possibly his best one would be alongside Jason Plato in the BTCC. I think he'd probably make a better job of it than Darren Turner and give Plato a proper run for his money. Turner's a fantastic driver... but in single seaters and sports cars. Aside from his bad luck, he just doesn't seem to getting the best of things in a touring car. A call to Scott Dennis is in order James !
Old 5 Sep 2008, 09:14 (Ref:2282124)   #38
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is it exactly, that N-Technology think they can do better with the Accord than JAS?
Old 5 Sep 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2282147)   #39
Icebaby
Veteran

Nothing it seems!, a works drive is the agenda for next year hopefully whether in BTCC or WTCC.
Old 5 Sep 2008, 11:31 (Ref:2282224)   #40
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
What is it exactly, that N-Technology think they can do better with the Accord than JAS?
JAS had no budget to enter WTCC, N-Tech had budget to enter WTCC?

After Alfa left WTCC N-Tech was looking for a new project. Instead of running customer SEATs or BMWs they chose the JAS Honda. They hoped to convince Honda and get a factory contract for running Hondas in WTCC coming years (N-Tech is also running the Formula Master single seater series which is using Honda engines, so there is a link between Honda and the Italian team). It seems Honda is not interested in WTCC. I am afraid N-Tech will not return in WTCC next season. (LADA and N-Tech should work together )

Last edited by FIRE; 5 Sep 2008 at 11:34.
Old 5 Sep 2008, 12:09 (Ref:2282251)   #41
davyboy
Veteran

The evidence of this year seems to bear out what you say. I'm scratching my head on this at the moment as I'm not sure how N-Tech [or JAS for that matter] could have hoped to develop a new car for the WTCC without the financial support from a manufacturer. It literally takes millions and from Thommo's interview it appeared they couldn't even run a test programme. It was always going to fail.

Still it sounds like its all over in any event. Too many great drivers have squandered their talent on projects like this one. Time moves quickly in motor racing and people's memories are short. Thommo needs to move on right away.
Old 5 Sep 2008, 17:09 (Ref:2282409)   #42
Ed Peters
Racer

Ed Peters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
The evidence of this year seems to bear out what you say. I'm scratching my head on this at the moment as I'm not sure how N-Tech [or JAS for that matter] could have hoped to develop a new car for the WTCC without the financial support from a manufacturer. It literally takes millions and from Thommo's interview it appeared they couldn't even run a test programme. It was always going to fail.
Team Dynamics didn't do too bad with their Civic without Honda's millions!
Old 5 Sep 2008, 19:17 (Ref:2282477)   #43
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
It seem spretty obvious to me, after reading Johan´s interview, that Tommo has decided that something needs to happen very soon. Because the writing is on the wall, and Tommo will not proceed as things are now.

And N-Technology will not be in the WTCC next year, wwhich seems fair as they have no budget.
Old 5 Sep 2008, 19:19 (Ref:2282479)   #44
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
It reminds me of the Danish Mercedes C200 DTC project. They entered the series with this brandnew national developed car, featuring ex-ChampCar driver Ronnie Bremer.

But it seems the project is going nowhere, and not surprisingly they have now entered with a 20 year old driver with zero experience but deep pockets, to develop the car, instead of Ronnie who has now left.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 05:16 (Ref:2282668)   #45
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Peters
Neither has the Swedish Honda team, racing the Accord. The speed is definitely there in the car to be unlocked, but if N-tech doesn't have the money to even test between races, they aren't going to find it.

Hopefully the Japanese guy they will bring in for the last 3 race weekends has plenty of cash to help them turn things around. Though Im a bit surprised why they don't bring in Thed Björk from STCC instead/also. He's been kicking butt all season and the Swedish team definitely knows how to get the speed out of the car.

Last edited by stedevil; 6 Sep 2008 at 05:25.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 09:06 (Ref:2282715)   #46
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Hartmann Racing in Denmark, where Tommo also races has been doing better and better. Not like the flying Swedish Hondas at all, but there is progress. The Honda is wellknown for its strong engine on the straits.

Unfortunately is the driver who is drving the Danish Honda beside Tommo a gentleman driver who isnt gonna develop much on the car..
Old 6 Sep 2008, 09:07 (Ref:2282716)   #47
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think a fair comparison to N-Tech would be how TD does against the diesel Leon. And it does not do that well does it?
Old 6 Sep 2008, 09:31 (Ref:2282733)   #48
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And didn't do too great either! After the Integra, the Civic has failed to be at the front of the pack as often as the 320, the Vectra, the Leon.

Maybe the Civic itself does not lend to being a great Touring Car, the Accord seems like a more promising starting point?
Old 6 Sep 2008, 10:14 (Ref:2282749)   #49
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The big problem with the Civic seems to be how fragile it is relative to the Integra. Shedden is only used to driving a much tougher car, whereas Chilton has a very aggressive driving style. Until a car has received manufacturer development, we can't say with any certainty how fast it could be - Dynamics might be missing something really simple that could greatly improve performance.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2282777)   #50
davyboy
Veteran

Dynamics have a big budget and have done well at developing the Civic but lets not loose sight of how successful they were in the past with the Integra. They're certainly not at that level now. Also you have to wonder how successful they would be if they were using diesel Leons, Vauxhalls or BMWs. In other words if their budget was focused on running the car as opposed to developing it.

Clearly N-Tech are miles away from TD in that they can't even afford to mount a campaign properly, let alone develop.