Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 29 Sep 2008, 13:21 (Ref:2300341)   #51
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
poor poor kyle

i seriously do feel for his team...what a fall from glory! probably the worst late season disasters of any team in any racing series, ever.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 16:21 (Ref:2300477)   #52
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79
poor poor kyle

i seriously do feel for his team...what a fall from glory! probably the worst late season disasters of any team in any racing series, ever.

Jeff Gordon ran into the same thing last year, hot during the season and couldn't win a chase race for nothing. In Kyles case though it seems like it's a team issue, all the breakdowns and misadjustments. Better luck next year Kyle!!
Old 30 Sep 2008, 08:57 (Ref:2300938)   #53
Chaos81
Racer

United States
Chaos81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedworx
Under classic points, Kyle is down to 3rd.
Yeah, crazy how far he's fallen. He went from a 207 point lead, to 124 points behind in 3 races. That's using the old system of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil22
couldn't win a chase race for nothing.
He won 2.

Here are his finishes. 2, 11, 5, 1, 1, 3, 7, 7, 10, 4

Jeff was very good in the Chase last year, Jimmie just had an incredible run.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 18:33 (Ref:2301336)   #54
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got me there, Chaos, I just remember Jeff losing the championship, wah!
Old 13 Oct 2008, 00:25 (Ref:2310634)   #55
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so, after a couple of weeks of no interest in the chase, here is where we at:

http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2008...nofficial.html

looks like the "chase" idea hasn't worked to keep people here interested. still very tight at the top with a handful of drivers still in the hunt.

wow, this is exciting
Old 13 Oct 2008, 00:30 (Ref:2310637)   #56
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Yup. The problem with a system like The Chase is that it renders all the chase races as only (potentially) exciting as single events. That the drivers at the top are close because points were equalised just leaves an inmovable sense of artificiality, with an absence of excitement since we all know it is only so because it was made so. It is just a folly to try and manufacture excitement, IMO, but, it seems, NASCAR don't appreciate this form of thinking.

For me, and I do not know how others feel about it, but my interest in the season drops when The Chase begins. I still watch the races, and that, but a large chunk of the tension/excitement, or what have you, disappears.

Last edited by Dutton; 13 Oct 2008 at 00:33.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 16:13 (Ref:2311349)   #57
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Yup. The problem with a system like The Chase is that it renders all the chase races as only (potentially) exciting as single events. That the drivers at the top are close because points were equalised just leaves an inmovable sense of artificiality, with an absence of excitement since we all know it is only so because it was made so. It is just a folly to try and manufacture excitement, IMO, but, it seems, NASCAR don't appreciate this form of thinking.

For me, and I do not know how others feel about it, but my interest in the season drops when The Chase begins. I still watch the races, and that, but a large chunk of the tension/excitement, or what have you, disappears.
IMO The NASCAR season is way too long.

Last edited by FIRE; 13 Oct 2008 at 16:18.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 16:47 (Ref:2311375)   #58
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
You mean not long enough.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 20:31 (Ref:2311555)   #59
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
I don't mind the length of it, but I do think there is a big problem in the lack of variety of the tracks. There are far too many 1.5-milers (in particular this D-formation) imo. I'd much prefer they replaced a few of those with short-tracks, superspeedways, and road tracks. Heck, in my dreamland I would love to see some dirt events (never going to happen, though).

I just don't see the point in having lots of different venues offering, in essence, exactly the same track. It is a complete waste of time, IMO.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2312814)   #60
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the season is too long. It's not just a race series, it's an entertainment for millions of American, and many millions more around the world. I feel that one of it's success points is that the length of the season, and the weekly racing keeps the momentum going. It's a high-octane soap opera/reality show!

Agree with Dutton. They could do with more variety in the chase, though by way of it's format, I don't think a road course would fit in. However, that's not saying that another road course shouldn't be crafted into the series somewhere. A street circuit would be good!!

Perhaps they should return to Rockingham and North Wilkesboro' too!!

And yes yes yes.... dirt events. Wasn't it Richard Petty that won the last NASCAR dirt event in 1970 at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds?
Old 15 Oct 2008, 10:41 (Ref:2312910)   #61
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the long season, starts before most other series and ends after most series, and a short off season, races almost every week (and if there isn't a Cup race on, there will be a Nationwide or Truck race on), can't complain about that!

Can complain about the borefest 1.5/2mi tracks, Kansas (I hope Nascar doesn't give them a 2nd date), Chicago, Fontana, Michigan (although races there usually aren't too bad), Charlotte, Atlanta, Vegas, Texas etc. Keep Michigan, Atlanta and Charlotte, bulldoze the rest and start again, short tracks, 1mi D shaped (like Rockingham) and maybe a Superspeedway. I'd like to see how a Talladega/Daytona/Bristol style high banking would work on a 1mi tri oval, speeds shouldn't be too high and I think it'd make good racing.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 15 Oct 2008, 15:36 (Ref:2313114)   #62
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59
They could do with more variety in the chase, though by way of it's format, I don't think a road course would fit in.
If they are going to run road courses during the "regular" season, they need to have at least one (preferrably two) in The Chase. The Chase should represent a condensed variety of what they run all year. Two road courses, two short tracks, two 1.5 mile ovals, two 2.0 mile ovals, Daytona and Talladega. There's too many similar tracks in The Chase right now.

And IMO they should run six to eight road courses a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuiE
I'd like to see how a Talladega/Daytona/Bristol style high banking would work on a 1mi tri oval, speeds shouldn't be too high and I think it'd make good racing.
See Dover.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 08:23 (Ref:2315119)   #63
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59
Agree with Dutton. They could do with more variety in the chase, though by way of it's format, I don't think a road course would fit in. However, that's not saying that another road course shouldn't be crafted into the series somewhere. A street circuit would be good!!

Perhaps they should return to Rockingham and North Wilkesboro' too!!

And yes yes yes.... dirt events. Wasn't it Richard Petty that won the last NASCAR dirt event in 1970 at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds?
I was actually meaning the season at large, as opposed to The Chase specifically (my reference point was being the comment about the season being too long, as opposed to thread topic). The Chase does need more variety, though, as it happens. I don't think it would be a good move to a road course in The Chase at present, but if they get more such races in the regular season (which I think they should) then it should get one.

I'll take your word on it with regards the final dirt event question, given I have no idea. Petty would seem as good a punt as any. I love watching dirt racing...if only, if only, IF ONLY it could make a comeback in this context.

[The other day I discovered a 0.25m dirt track about 80km(50m) from where I live. Just in time for the season to be over, of course, but, still, at least it is there! A new venue to visit next season. From what I can gather from the website I since visited, it couldn't really be more club level if it tried - which is not surprising, and is certainly a good thing to my mind.]

Last edited by Dutton; 18 Oct 2008 at 08:29.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 16:00 (Ref:2315975)   #64
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59
ARCA, until a few years ago, ran a single dirt race at the Springfield mile every year.

back to the Chase!
M'ville today....long, tideous race for drivers and fans alike. always some action, just at a little slower pace...but fast for a low banked 1/4 mile track:

http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2008...e1_speeds.html

what a surprise...
jimmie j the quickest in practice...
qualifying rained out.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2316023)   #65
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
1/4-mile?? I may be out of my mind, but I'd say MArtinsville is a smidge over 0.5.

I don't find it tedious at all, personally. I really like the real short stuff - in a big part because passing moves have to really be earned.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 17:45 (Ref:2316042)   #66
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Martinsville is around half a mile. A quarter of a mile is 400m, which is the length of an athletics track. Not that I have an objection to NASCAR running on a track like that though :P
Old 19 Oct 2008, 20:56 (Ref:2316200)   #67
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
sorry, boys...all the "dirty talk" got me thinkin in 3/8s & 1/4s.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 21:04 (Ref:2316210)   #68
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Martinsville is awesome.

The Chase, however, is not.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 01:04 (Ref:2316311)   #69
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
So Jimmie wins at Martinsville. What a shocker that is! You have to give it to the guy - he just has The Chase championship system absolutely nailed.

Anyone fancy betting against him getting the threepeat?
Old 20 Oct 2008, 10:24 (Ref:2316557)   #70
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not really. I had a funny feeling he was going to do this, he was starting to build momentum and he has driven awesome all year IMO.

Damn him!
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:55 (Ref:2320023)   #71
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's something about the Chase that puts Jimmie on another level. This makes three consecutive years in which he absolutely dominated the end of the season. Maybe they'll rename the championship trophy after him.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 01:37 (Ref:2321445)   #72
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

He only went and done it again, he was absolutely nowhere for a large portion of the race but Jimmie and Chad plugged away as usual and got a second place.

Carl Edwards looked gutted when he found out...

I'm starting to like Johnson, I am ashamed to admit!

As for JPM, I wish he could have just a shred of luck for once.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 09:46 (Ref:2321621)   #73
Ola
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm, Sweden
Ola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jimmie Johnsons race yesterday was awesome, I couldn't believe it when he came from a drive-through penatly and one lap down to second in the final sprint.

This team just have another level when it comes to the chase and right now it hard to even imagine them not winning a third straight one. Impressive!

It was a shame about Montoya. The new car they've built themselves (if I've remember what I read correctly?) looked like it performed well so that's encouraging. Just a shame to have it go so horribly wrong in just a few laps. I don't think Montoya is to blame for the pit incident, that just seems like a bad race incident where there isn't much to do. In the crash he was just the unlucky guy coming from behind doing everything right but just got hit by bad luck.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 10:20 (Ref:2321651)   #74
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
great save by hamlin on the last lap - imagine if he took jimmie out .... the difference between winning championships & losing them...
Old 27 Oct 2008, 10:56 (Ref:2321678)   #75
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Jimmie Johnsons race yesterday was awesome, I couldn't believe it when he came from a drive-through penatly and one lap down to second in the final sprint.

This team just have another level when it comes to the chase and right now it hard to even imagine them not winning a third straight one. Impressive!

It was a shame about Montoya. The new car they've built themselves (if I've remember what I read correctly?) looked like it performed well so that's encouraging. Just a shame to have it go so horribly wrong in just a few laps. I don't think Montoya is to blame for the pit incident, that just seems like a bad race incident where there isn't much to do. In the crash he was just the unlucky guy coming from behind doing everything right but just got hit by bad luck.
Did they use or Evernham or Penske chassis in the past? I don't believe that.