Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Jul 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3838320)   #51
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I've been looking at this thread and wonder how people can define "worst" do you mean someone that has virtually crashed every time on the first lap ? or has never got into the points regardless of how many races they have entered ? A mediocre driver in the best car can get in the points the same as the best driver in a mediocre car can so I don't actually see how you can define "worst"

I suppose the only way you could possibly see an answer is by looking at someone who has had the very best/fastest and reliable car with unlimited finance and has done a full season/seasons Whereas some drivers who could be very good but have a limited budget and an unreliable/uncompetitive car don't have much chance unless others break down or get involved in crashes could be classed as worst !
I think you're being too analytical Gordon. I believe that the process in this type of thread is something like "I think driver X in year so & so was crap, so he's the worst..."
Old 23 Jul 2018, 18:16 (Ref:3838341)   #52
lotustwincam
Rookie

United Kingdom
lotustwincam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I think you're being too analytical Gordon. I believe that the process in this type of thread is something like "I think driver X in year so & so was crap, so he's the worst..."
I think anyone who has driven/competed in any formula will have a different insight into "Best - Worst" drivers, compared to those who have not been so fortunate
Old 23 Jul 2018, 18:46 (Ref:3838343)   #53
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Pretty sure a series with multiple winners is more indicative of a lower quality than higher quality of drivers and/or cars that are too similar in performance.

The current series should not be compared with Supertouring, or Group A for that matter. Both were far superior in depth of drivers and machinery.

Why do you have such a bee in the bonnet about the current series? So it’s not as good as the super touring or Group A era? Big deal, those eras weren’t perfect either. The current series otoh is enjoying a big grid of closely matched cars. Should we not celebrate that?
Old 24 Jul 2018, 08:02 (Ref:3838440)   #54
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
You sure that wasn't Barrie Williams?! 😆
In 1980 Whizzo won BMW County Championship races at Brands Hatch and Mallory Park.
Old 25 Jul 2018, 07:19 (Ref:3838645)   #55
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Clegg View Post
In 1980 Whizzo won BMW County Championship races at Brands Hatch and Mallory Park.
😉
Old 25 Jul 2018, 17:19 (Ref:3838747)   #56
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
You're making my head spin at the moment, and I'm struggling to see what point you are attempting to make...

Coronel and Thompson both made one-off BTCC appearances, but somehow don't make your list of 'any'?

At the moment, it seems about as much use as making the statement:

Who are the worst drivers in touring cars? - those who had rubbish results!
That's I mean! At last somebody gets it and Thompson and Coronel are too successful to be rubbish, but there are a lot of drivers who made one-off limited appearances in the WTCC and achieved little if anything.
Old 25 Jul 2018, 21:05 (Ref:3838789)   #57
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
That's I mean! At last somebody gets it and Thompson and Coronel are too successful to be rubbish, but there are a lot of drivers who made one-off limited appearances in the WTCC and achieved little if anything.
I think I get it now.

Those who have had success can never be rubbish.

Those who haven't had success are rubbish.

And those who didn't make enough appearances to be able to judge - are rubbish.

There's some good insight coming from this thread!
Old 25 Jul 2018, 22:20 (Ref:3838797)   #58
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think I get it now.

Those who have had success can never be rubbish.

Those who haven't had success are rubbish.

And those who didn't make enough appearances to be able to judge - are rubbish.

There's some good insight coming from this thread!
Thank you and besides, we're all guilty of bashing certain drivers here but doing that deliberately was never of the aim of this thread.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 12:38 (Ref:3838874)   #59
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Thank you and besides, we're all guilty of bashing certain drivers here but doing that deliberately was never of the aim of this thread.
With the name of the thread, that seems a bit tricky to avoid to me.......
Old 26 Jul 2018, 14:30 (Ref:3838896)   #60
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
With the name of the thread, that seems a bit tricky to avoid to me.......
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Jul 2018, 16:10 (Ref:3838907)   #61
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think drivers that are continually involved in contact for me are the worst.

There are slow guys in the history of any series, but if they are just slow fair enough. BTCC has always had an element of gent drivers about it, even in the glory Supertouring days.

But guys like Plato, Reid who are often involved in dubious moves and contact for me are the ones I would class as the worst, regardless of their achievements.

Think of Harvey pushing Hoy onto the grass at Copse in 92 final round, put them the other way round and Will would NEVER have done that. That makes Harvey a far worse driver.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 21:25 (Ref:3838958)   #62
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post

There are slow guys in the history of any series, but if they are just slow fair enough. BTCC has always had an element of gent drivers about it, even in the glory Supertouring days.

But guys like Plato, Reid who are often involved in dubious moves and contact for me are the ones I would class as the worst, regardless of their achievements.

Think of Harvey pushing Hoy onto the grass at Copse in 92 final round, put them the other way round and Will would NEVER have done that. That makes Harvey a far worse driver.
Point Taken
Old 26 Jul 2018, 21:47 (Ref:3838960)   #63
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Will was a very ambitious driver and often got involved in competetive action.

Remember The 2 Toyota collisions?
Both easily avoided....
Old 26 Jul 2018, 23:55 (Ref:3838985)   #64
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
First one Rouse could have avoided too. Racing incident. Second one, I don’t know how you can blame Will, it was Julian who tipped him on to his roof!
Old 27 Jul 2018, 10:53 (Ref:3839068)   #65
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:

If we're getting on the subject of making contact then Patrick Watts certainly had his moments, I can think of a few drivers he collided with 95, Cleland, Bailey, the contact with David Brabham that led to Radisich hitting him at high speed at Brands Hatch....
Old 27 Jul 2018, 12:42 (Ref:3839086)   #66
S griffin
Veteran

Watts was certainly entertaining and he knew it! That said, when he had a good car, like in 94, he showed the talent he had
Old 27 Jul 2018, 15:22 (Ref:3839120)   #67
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Watts was certainly entertaining and he knew it! That said, when he had a good car, like in 94, he showed the talent he had
Not to mention putting a Mazda on pole at Snetterton in 1993 but of course, he spoiled that by colliding with Soper.
Old 27 Jul 2018, 23:21 (Ref:3839201)   #68
S griffin
Veteran

Threw ‘his pole position into a potato field’ as Steve Rider said on the season review

That Mazda was a regular top 10 runner, but quite unreliable. Don’t forget he also qualified on the front row at Knockhill and, after stalling on the first start, lead the restarted race for a bit
Old 28 Jul 2018, 07:02 (Ref:3839230)   #69
Andy Clegg
Racer

Quote:
Not to mention putting a Mazda on pole at Snetterton in 1993 but of course, he spoiled that by colliding with Soper.
I was at Coram for the first qualifying session. In the report " the yellow flags were out at the Bombhole for Watts before he got there. He was locked up entering Coram." It must have been quite something to have been at the Bombhole. Went there in the afternoon and it was quite peaceful. Watts and Karl Jones had different lines than all the others.
Old 28 Jul 2018, 20:13 (Ref:3839588)   #70
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Clegg View Post
I was at Coram for the first qualifying session. In the report " the yellow flags were out at the Bombhole for Watts before he got there. He was locked up entering Coram." It must have been quite something to have been at the Bombhole. Went there in the afternoon and it was quite peaceful. Watts and Karl Jones had different lines than all the others.
Karl Jones last raced in the BTCC in 1992, I'm on about 1993.
Old 29 Jul 2018, 07:24 (Ref:3839749)   #71
Andy Clegg
Racer

Sorry I should have checked. I was just thinking back.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 15:37 (Ref:3840368)   #72
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Just noticed this - https://gprejects.com/centrale/lists...ts-of-the-btcc
Old 31 Jul 2018, 16:28 (Ref:3840382)   #73
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That article has nothing to do with "worst touring car drivers", and it contains so many errors that it isn't worth reading.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 16:41 (Ref:3840387)   #74
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
That article has nothing to do with "worst touring car drivers", and it contains so many errors that it isn't worth reading.
I've read it and needless to say, I'm not impressed with it, it is so biased and if people bothered to do the research then there would have gems from the pre-1987 era for sure.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 09:58 (Ref:3840564)   #75
Dixon9
Rookie

Dixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jonathan Webb

I binge watched the full 2012 Supercars season on youtube in 2 weeks and the bloke is mental. Literally every pass is a massive dive and he does some very borderline stuff in general.

It's fun to watch but you'd be spewing if you were in the mid-pack trying to race against him.

Tags
btcc, dtm, etcc, touring car, wtcc