Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Mar 2020, 18:21 (Ref:3967419)   #5426
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
Perfect excuse for some night races.
At Knockhill, in the winter? The cars have a hard enough time running at Brands Hatch at the end of the season, Knockhill at -2 or -3C in the dark... yeah nah, as our mates down under say.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 18:38 (Ref:3967420)   #5427
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
I’m sure the night races weren’t that exciting back in the day, is it just the rose tinted glasses of how amazing super touring was
I am told by more senior people than me the Snetterton night races had an almost LeMans carnival atmosphere but the novelty would have worn off after 2 events. I see Tom Kristensen blew everyone away at the Silverstone event - a sign of things to come!
Old 28 Mar 2020, 19:14 (Ref:3967423)   #5428
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Apart from people who sell and install industrial floodlights, who would benefit?
Certainly for me at least, I usually can't watch the night portions of enduarance races, just because with the super bright modern lights you really can't see anything. It's exactly the same action in the day, only you can see what's going on, and you don't have to worry about lighting up the whole track. Obviously in a 24 hour event you can't avoid it, but, yeah, there's not really any point for touring car sprint racing.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 20:13 (Ref:3967431)   #5429
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I seem to remember they did a good job with the lighting during the BTCC night races, doing it in places where most of the spectators watched rather than the whole circuit
Old 28 Mar 2020, 20:23 (Ref:3967432)   #5430
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
If I were AG I would be on the phone to Carey at FOM and suggest adding BTCC to the BGP as a great British motorsport weekend. FOM are desperate for something positive to announce and I think AG might find the usual F1 ratecard might be lost in the post. BTCC on the GP circuit...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 28 Mar 2020, 20:48 (Ref:3967435)   #5431
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
If I were AG I would be on the phone to Carey at FOM and suggest adding BTCC to the BGP as a great British motorsport weekend. FOM are desperate for something positive to announce and I think AG might find the usual F1 ratecard might be lost in the post. BTCC on the GP circuit...

Never going to happen because... FOM assume all broadcast rights to anything appearing at a GP meeting. See the Supercars fiasco a couple of weeks ago. It would mean no touring cars on terrestrial TV that weekend along with all associated the commcial deals being torn up.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 20:49 (Ref:3967436)   #5432
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC could use GP circuit any time they want. They don't want to. GP support was last tried in 2004, all the teams pulled out because they weren't able to get the usual hospitality arrangements. Doubt things would be any better this year.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 20:53 (Ref:3967437)   #5433
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Most circuits have curfews so realistically it's only Snettetron and Silverstone where you could run a proper night race. Brands usually have a Britcar 'into the dark' race at the end of the season but that 's still prior to the normal curfew simple because it gets dark so early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I also don’t understand the comment was that it’s too expensive to run night races. I have been to club events with night races, the Silverstone 24H event again, at night. I also went to a huge fireworks event in 2018 with some 10,000 people and that was all lit and had light stewarding.
H&S requirement for the three men and a dog that turn up to the Britcar race are very different to the requirement for a BTCC-sized crowd. There was a interview/podcast with Gow a few years ago when he talked about the cost just for the lighting rigs. I forget the exact amount but it was well into 6 figures.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 21:01 (Ref:3967438)   #5434
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Ladbrokes were the Motorbase title sponsor. No sport now meant they pulled the plug on the Friday before media day.

Ive heard that from two unconnected sources now. One who runs a junior team on the support package, and another driver coach to a Porsche squad.
That's not the sponsor I was told by a Motorbase team member.
Old 29 Mar 2020, 06:26 (Ref:3967473)   #5435
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
That's not the sponsor I was told by a Motorbase team member.
Well? Do tell....
Old 29 Mar 2020, 09:47 (Ref:3967496)   #5436
B0U170NS
Racer

B0U170NS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Well? Do tell....
He or she won't. They come on here and spout out they know something and then never say anymore.

But I would go along with what has been said about Ladbrokes.
Old 29 Mar 2020, 10:20 (Ref:3967501)   #5437
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0U170NS View Post
He or she won't. They come on here and spout out they know something and then never say anymore.
To be fair, I'm not sure Motorbase would be very happy if he went and told everyone.
Old 29 Mar 2020, 10:39 (Ref:3967507)   #5438
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
To make up for no BTCC, currently rewatching last season’s ITV review
Old 29 Mar 2020, 10:42 (Ref:3967508)   #5439
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
how about the 1987 season review those high powered but low grip Gr. A cars were awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRfsdrb8XX4
Old 29 Mar 2020, 10:47 (Ref:3967510)   #5440
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
how about the 1987 season review those high powered but low grip Gr. A cars were awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRfsdrb8XX4
Indeed but we are into the historic realm with these so perhaps a little off topic. Good call BTW.
Old 29 Mar 2020, 12:21 (Ref:3967527)   #5441
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
And 3 Donington races being streamed on ITV now. Forgot how good 2014 was! Think driving standards have improved a lot since then though!
Old 29 Mar 2020, 17:41 (Ref:3967576)   #5442
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Following the government briefing today, the deputy medical officer was indicating social distancing continuing for probably another 6 months, they fear ceasing it too early and a second wave breaking out.

So could be kaput for the UK motorport season as probably larger public events that draw peple from aroud the UK will be one of the last to be back to normal IMO.

Old 29 Mar 2020, 17:57 (Ref:3967577)   #5443
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Following the government briefing today, the deputy medical officer was indicating social distancing continuing for probably another 6 months, they fear ceasing it too early and a second wave breaking out.

So could be kaput for the UK motorport season as probably larger public events that draw peple from aroud the UK will be one of the last to be back to normal IMO.

This is the implication that I understood too; I feel if there are any sporting events this summer they will be behind closed doors; certainly I could imagine horse racing resuming but football and other sports which have close physical contact between competitors and spectators not.

Meanwhile I, like many, expect to be seeking alternative employment in the coming months.

Stay safe folks.
Old 29 Mar 2020, 18:03 (Ref:3967579)   #5444
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

Meanwhile I, like many, expect to be seeking alternative employment in the coming months.

Stay safe folks.
Good luck and thank you.
Old 30 Mar 2020, 09:48 (Ref:3967645)   #5445
Moneyseeker
Veteran

OT: But Wimbledon cancellation expected to be announced this week following final confirmation at their board meeting but according to German tennis federation official the decision to cancel has already been made.

Meanwhile Supercars are looking at how to make the series TV covered only and run races behind closed doors by changing some of the format, restricting team personnel numbers and minimum track staff and have some of the TV production elements off site - they want to get to under the magic 500 people on site.

This is in the belief that even when social distancing is slightly relaxed, large public gatherings will still not resume, but 500 people or less events might.

I imagine AG must be looking at the same as the government advisor yesterday was still taking about some form of social distancing lasting 3-6 months or more, I don't think anyone believes it will be back to normal from day 1, we will probably still be in a phased return to normal for the rest of the year.

Whether that is viable for the BTCC business model, who knows - circuits will have to refund tickets but who will pay for that? Even if it were allowed by the government.
Old 30 Mar 2020, 10:12 (Ref:3967651)   #5446
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
And 3 Donington races being streamed on ITV now. Forgot how good 2014 was! Think driving standards have improved a lot since then though!

Idk, compared to the mid 00s and early 10s, I’d say driving standards weren’t as bad in 2014
Old 30 Mar 2020, 11:41 (Ref:3967667)   #5447
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
OT: But Wimbledon cancellation expected to be announced this week following final confirmation at their board meeting but according to German tennis federation official the decision to cancel has already been made.
I think that was inevitable. Given how all of motorsport seem to be holding replacement eTournaments, are we expecting Pong or Wii Sport Tennis?
Old 30 Mar 2020, 13:34 (Ref:3967679)   #5448
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It might come down to the BTCC being run as a single event end of season TOCA shoutout.
Old 30 Mar 2020, 13:48 (Ref:3967681)   #5449
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supercars is not sole in considering running behind closed doors. NASCAR, according to unofficial information, will be back in May, running without the audience.
Let's face it, given everything that is happening, this is the last chance to have season run. Otherwise, there'll be no BTCC this year, I suppose.
Old 30 Mar 2020, 15:58 (Ref:3967693)   #5450
S griffin
Veteran

The fact series are talking about running behind closed doors gives us hope that racing can still go ahead in good time. So if it’s the best option for the BTCC it has to consider it