Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Feb 2019, 20:24 (Ref:3884472)   #1
JimboCycling
Rookie

JimboCycling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good races for a newbie to watch?

Hi everyone
I'm new to the forum. I've been an f1 fan for years but am only just discovering sports cars. I'm watching bathurst 12 hours from this year (not quite finished so no spoilers please!) and really enjoying it.
So I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any other good races to watch? Preferably not too many years old so that I get familiar with current teams / drivers etc. And of course it needs to be available on YouTube!!
Many thanks
James
Old 15 Feb 2019, 20:40 (Ref:3884476)   #2
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Le Mans and Sebring
Old 15 Feb 2019, 21:21 (Ref:3884485)   #3
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here's a mix of 2018 races. You can decide what you like

Le Mans 24 Hours Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=1MTM8doiuJo (this starts with qualifying. Can skip to the race in the platlist)
Nurburgring 24 Hours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPCsjrC0Hks
IMSA Petit Le Mans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=rEkr0kM8jSg
ELMS Silverstone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZa_8QY2C_g
SuperGT Sugo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IJZHW-vENY

Bit of self-advertising, but I think it's relevant. If you go here - http://theracingline.net/trl-tv/ - I've archived the majority of the 2018 sportscar races. Some links may be broken, but almost everything is here I think.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 21:59 (Ref:3884490)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
if you want to actually go then it depends on where you are for 2019 then spa is a great race 6 hours of racing and a very open track one of the best race tracks in the world
Old 15 Feb 2019, 23:46 (Ref:3884508)   #5
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michelin Le Mans Cup-Very good races
,not to long either.Watch the Red Bull Ring Round.FANTASTIC it was.Quality is really good aswell.

Happy watching as I to have recently bee getting more into sportscars .

Will
Old 16 Feb 2019, 00:23 (Ref:3884512)   #6
JimboCycling
Rookie

JimboCycling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's brilliant, thank you very much.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 11:45 (Ref:3884592)   #7
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Get yourself some VLN - all on Youtube & shown live through the year.
You might think that a series which only runs on 1 track all year might get a bit samey - but when that track is the Nordschleife…
Old 17 Feb 2019, 12:41 (Ref:3884794)   #8
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
You might think that a series which only runs on 1 track all year might get a bit samey - but when that track is the Nordschleife…

Second this. Very interesting series with huge grids, big variety, and lots of inter-class excitement.
Old 18 Feb 2019, 23:25 (Ref:3885115)   #9
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
As far as getting familiar with current teams & drivers, I think you'd be safe to go back maybe 5-10 years. Most of the high profile teams and drivers are still around, and it'll give the most recent races some helpful context.

Something like oh so and so is a big name in this race series with some big achievements, but they've switched series/disciplines and that's interesting to watch unfold.

I'll also add that the Truth in 24 documentaries make for something interesting watching. They're a little too focused for following multi-class racing, but they definitely show how to make the most of a story-line within a race.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 07:34 (Ref:3885143)   #10
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Depending where you are located, forget watching TV and go and see GT racing live . British GT a good start but (assuming you are UK based) we have a huge amount of racing in this country which needs a live audience. Watching racing on TV is, ultimately, just watching telly . So 2D image, crap sound , and somebody else decides what you see ....
Old 21 Feb 2019, 18:40 (Ref:3885800)   #11
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hello JimboCycling, welcome on our forum.
Watching sportcars races depends also if you like restarts or not (i.e artificial suspense or real racing).
Old 21 Feb 2019, 19:47 (Ref:3885827)   #12
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
Watching sportcars races depends also if you like restarts or not (i.e artificial suspense or real racing).
By restarts I take you mean wave-by (free-laps-back) and/or phantom cautions utilized by some series?

Of course there's much more to artificiality in racing than just that but yes...
Old 22 Feb 2019, 14:56 (Ref:3885963)   #13
Mountain Man
Racer

Mountain Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any race at Spa. Because it's Spa.
Old 22 Feb 2019, 14:58 (Ref:3885964)   #14
Mountain Man
Racer

Mountain Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
He's said he's an F1 fan. So therefore he is used to artificial suspense and lack of real racing.
Old 27 Jun 2019, 17:03 (Ref:3914460)   #15
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Recommend the IMSA GT only races at VIR and Lime Rock over the past 2 seasons. Also Mid Ohio. Very few full course yellows in those races.
Old 3 Jul 2019, 01:28 (Ref:3915587)   #16
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
I can imagine that the low production value of VLN is going to be rather off putting for new fans (especially after Bathurst 12h which I'd probably rank even better than WEC in terms of the production & presentation) and the VLN-only classes and rule quirks might be pretty confusing too.

Last edited by deggis; 3 Jul 2019 at 01:35.