Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Feb 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2128709)   #1
Sportscarguy08
Racer

Sportscarguy08 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Since the ALMS GT1 class faded away after 2003, I started paying attention to the FIA GT. As a sportscar fan, I found it to be much more satisfying from both a race perspective as well as the presence of the paddock and pits. ALMS is good for prototype racing mostly. ALMS GT2 isnt shown that much on the broadcasts, as well as it being either a porsche or ferrari win. If in 2008, GT2 in both FIA GT and ALMS gets to the point where aston, ferrari, porsche, panoz, and BMW all win races....then I might tune more into that class a bit more.

Out of curiosity, what are the reasons that people voted the ALMS as their favorite? I thought sportscars was referring to GT1/GT2...
Old 14 Feb 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2128832)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good question. First off though, sportscar racing refers to prototypes AND GT cars. At least in my opinion.

I voted ALMS and Le Mans in the poll. Mostly because that is what we get coverage of here in the States. I try to keep informed on FIA GT and the LMS because I'm an enthusiast. But it's hard for me to get excited about either when I cannot follow the action on TV. That's just me though.

Last edited by jhansen; 14 Feb 2008 at 23:10.
Old 14 Feb 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2128836)   #3
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted ALMS, because I think that it is the best of the American Sportscar and GT series. I still semi-follow other series like FIA GT, Grand-Am, and the LMS.
Old 14 Feb 2008, 16:45 (Ref:2128847)   #4
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The devil made me do it...
Old 14 Feb 2008, 17:49 (Ref:2128898)   #5
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
We are very lucky in the UK with what we get especially from Motors TV so we have the opportunity to see all the major series. To me the racing in ALMS last year produced some of the most existing racing I have seen in years in any category, the Speed TV production was great (except for the many many ad breaks) and it was easy to sit down and watch the races from start to finish.

I think the beauty of multi class racing is that with good TV production there is nearly always something worth watching.
Old 14 Feb 2008, 17:50 (Ref:2128900)   #6
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there's not a lot of FIA GT on tv in canada, and it never appealed all that much anyway. i liked the prototypes more, and although some GT cars are nice, i got tired of seeing the same group of old cars out there when manufacturer support for GT1 died off. plus the maserati is astoundingly ugly.

in 2007 there was stunning racing between audi and penske. this year promises some more of the same (even if the field has been tilted more towards the audis), with the hondas/acuras thrown in. GT2 is a great fight, and the debut of the aston martin and corvette, and potential late season entry of bmw before 2009 is going to be great fun...
Old 14 Feb 2008, 21:53 (Ref:2129152)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
My choices seem to be the market leaders, although not in the order I would have expected.

Sorry, GT fans, but Prototypes do it for me every time. I don't mind so much when they're mixed and the GT cars are kinda cannon fodder to be lapped and possibly create incidents, but a racing car should have been designed as just that, a racing car. Only my opinion, though.
Old 14 Feb 2008, 22:51 (Ref:2129196)   #8
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
My choices seem to be the market leaders, although not in the order I would have expected.

Sorry, GT fans, but Prototypes do it for me every time. I don't mind so much when they're mixed and the GT cars are kinda cannon fodder to be lapped and possibly create incidents, but a racing car should have been designed as just that, a racing car. Only my opinion, though.
That's why it was so awsome to see the McLaren F1 GTR win Le Mans in 1995.
A,by origin,sportscar for the road,destroying all the oposition(including the prototypes).
It's just in the techrules that the proto's win. Give the GT1's enough horsepower and they'll give the prototype's a run for their money.

I still have in mind the first time Dodge fielded the original Viper GTS-R as a GT1,these cars were bloody fast!
Old 15 Feb 2008, 00:13 (Ref:2129259)   #9
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A year ago I would have included FIAGT in my vote. But GT racing in general (outside of ACO regs competition) is a complete and utter mess. Too many different classes, too many variations of homologation within classes, too much equalisation, I just can't get my head round it.............so I've given up!
Old 15 Feb 2008, 03:43 (Ref:2129314)   #10
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amen to that Bentley...I went with Australian GT as it is pretty much the thing on my doorstep, but I other than that, I love the Prototype cars, be them P1,2,3 whatever...In Australia, we get a highlights package from the ALMS, LMS and FIA GT of about an hour each but a couple months after the race - so we do get a little taste of everything...
Old 15 Feb 2008, 06:49 (Ref:2129346)   #11
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Zytek_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't know there was a poll? :P

I would vote FIA GT and Le Mans Series.
On the topic of GT1 field issues, the ACO needs to open their doors and allow the MC12. There's a few teams that would be interested in running them...
Old 15 Feb 2008, 07:04 (Ref:2129350)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
the ACO needs to open their doors and allow the MC12. There's a few teams that would be interested in running them...
The ACO certainly does not need to let the MC12 in , as the car is not legal !!! Very simple really .
Old 15 Feb 2008, 07:18 (Ref:2129354)   #13
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
The ACO certainly does not need to let the MC12 in , as the car is not legal !!! Very simple really .
Honestly, they need to be more open minded. It has about the same pace as other GT1 cars, therefore it could be considered legal. The only thing wrong with it, is that it's slightly too wide.

It's not like it's a Super GT car with extreme aero modifications
Old 15 Feb 2008, 12:59 (Ref:2129579)   #14
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
Honestly, they need to be more open minded. It has about the same pace as other GT1 cars, therefore it could be considered legal. The only thing wrong with it, is that it's slightly too wide.

It's not like it's a Super GT car with extreme aero modifications
Hasnt it run with more restrictions since its introduction? I am sure all things being equal it would be the quickest car.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 14:55 (Ref:2129631)   #15
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMS and FIA GT in the main, but I'm gonna pick up BGT this year. I'm sick to death of the ALMS and its "we are the best" attitude, and its lack of true competition in GT1, P1 and P2. Ok, so Penske battles Audi, but that doesn't make it even close to LMS or GT. Purely IMO, of course
Old 15 Feb 2008, 15:12 (Ref:2129639)   #16
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
LMS and FIA GT in the main, but I'm gonna pick up BGT this year. I'm sick to death of the ALMS and its "we are the best" attitude, and its lack of true competition in GT1, P1 and P2. Ok, so Penske battles Audi, but that doesn't make it even close to LMS or GT. Purely IMO, of course
my opinion as well, although i prefered the straight pipes and insane noise the ALMS cars made, LMS cars with silencers for me have lost a certain something compared to 2006, that atmosphere and awe isnt quite as strong as it was.

FIA GT was great last year at silverstone, although dare i say, when it came to the ALMS i preferred the petit lemans to lemans, more of a laugh and the arena zytek was there .

british GT ill pick back up on again, but i do find the horribly quiet cars a bit dull, not loud enough imo, or im just going deaf
Old 16 Feb 2008, 00:47 (Ref:2129987)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
That's why it was so awsome to see the McLaren F1 GTR win Le Mans in 1995.
A,by origin,sportscar for the road,destroying all the oposition(including the prototypes).
Interesting you should pick that race. The McLaren F1GTR is the one GT car I would except from my previous post. Partly because my son's first job in motor racing was with a team that ran those cars and that was his first race. He was nearly drowned and chilled to the marrow holding the signalling board. Clue: his car was mostly yellow with a dark green stripe.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 13:27 (Ref:2130233)   #18
Ayr
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Yorkshire
Ayr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Other:
British GT - Attend as many races as possible and watch it all on TV.
BritCar/BritSports - attended a couple of races last year. Maybe 3-4 this year and a DSC subscription to get more information.
For this year, at least one V de V UK as well.

I occasionally catch a International GT race on Eurosport but do not follow the series.

O/T: In my opinion the cars in British GT do sound good, if a little muted at times. Certainly a lot better noise than the F3 and FPA series they run with.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2130304)   #19
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I voted for all listed simply because I try my best to follow all. I would have voted for other as well but I was faaarrrrr to lazy to write a reply (now I'm writing this - fancy that). I like the ALMS because I see it as the Sprint Cup or F1 of sports car racing. It is where the factory money is and it is my belief that the ALMS is the pinnacle of the pyramid. That is of course, as a result of its connection to Le Mans. The 24 hours is the world's single most important sporting event in my opinion. I love all sports car and gt racing and, as stated I do my best to follow it all.

Chris
Old 16 Feb 2008, 20:23 (Ref:2130492)   #20
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
Interesting you should pick that race. The McLaren F1GTR is the one GT car I would except from my previous post. Partly because my son's first job in motor racing was with a team that ran those cars and that was his first race. He was nearly drowned and chilled to the marrow holding the signalling board. Clue: his car was mostly yellow with a dark green stripe.
What courage! It must've been a great experience for him to be so closely involved with such cars(and drivers!).
Old 16 Feb 2008, 20:36 (Ref:2130501)   #21
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi
plus the maserati is astoundingly ugly.

Ah,yes,I see your point....
Old 16 Feb 2008, 20:47 (Ref:2130509)   #22
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
As for the votes I gave,all but two have my full interest. It's a real shame that the FIA-GT is no longer on "normal" TV anymore here in Europe since the battle between an Aston DBR9,a Saleen S7-R,a Corvette C6R and them stunning Maser MC12's is among the greatest sportscar racing one can find.
Just look at last years Spa 24hrs which went right down to the wire!

Basically,I love 'm all but for the fabcars,toooo ugly for my taste and to much constricted rules.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 21:03 (Ref:2130516)   #23
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
I have to "obtain" the FIA GT races after they've been run...
Old 16 Feb 2008, 22:30 (Ref:2130553)   #24
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted LMS + Le Mans 24 + Sebring(this year) simply because my favoutite team is in...
Old 17 Feb 2008, 03:07 (Ref:2130636)   #25
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
i call them like i see them. it's got a really awkward daytona-prototype like greenhouse, a fat, graceless rear, an a front nose which is too long. the side view is perhaps its best because it hides the flaws better than other angles.

plus it's a ferrari in drag that had no business in the GT class because it wasn't a gt car. if ferrari thought the enzo would be a good tool, they should have run it. they tried to do a 911 GT1 style end run around the rules, and the ACO stomped them hard for it.

between the intent and the looks, it just leaves me cold...