Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Apr 2009, 15:09 (Ref:2449296)   #1
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Force India, are they that bad?

Is it just me or does the car look half decent and its the drivers that are letting them down, i have to say i dont think Sutil is anything other than competent, and that is being generous, and Fisi, whilst he was a fine driver in his day is now way past his best. I my opinion if you had a Senna, Pantano or di Resta in the car, Q2 would be on every other race at least.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 15:19 (Ref:2449305)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The car doesn't look that good. It was late in coming and was built by the smallest, weakest team on the grid. It was never going to be all that great.

I'd be surprised if any of the three you mention could get it into Q2. Senna is raw, Pantano is an F1 reject and di Resta, well, what do we have to go by?

F1 is so close right now that it is difficult for anyone to progress, let alone FI.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 15:39 (Ref:2449327)   #3
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Is it just me or does the car look half decent and its the drivers that are letting them down, i have to say i dont think Sutil is anything other than competent, and that is being generous
Don't Sutil's excellent performances in the wet count for anything? To me he's proven he could be good if he had a decent car underneath him.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2449341)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think it's the same old story, the pilot can only shine if the car is up to to the task..
Old 25 Apr 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2449346)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I think FI are doing a great job.Unfortunately the teams in front of them are all doing a slightly better one.Could be a force (sorry) to reckon with if the £30m budget comes along.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2449353)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, the budget limitation could help. But I'm still not sure I'd tikka chance on them at the bookies.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 16:43 (Ref:2449355)   #7
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old 25 Apr 2009, 18:08 (Ref:2449392)   #8
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
I think its relatively slow, by 2009 standards, but in reality its not a bad car. Look at the difference in Q3 (or Q2) times from front to back and the field is actually pretty close compared to 3-4 or even 10 years ago.

Unfortunate situation, but I dont really see how they will work the way up.... IMHO its not so much they can't do the job, its just I feel the others can do a better one.

With STR now reguarly keeping RBR on their toes and once (its only time) Piquet goes, there is going to be a fair gap (relative!!! ) between Fif1 and the others.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 18:52 (Ref:2449421)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Overall, I don't think it's a bad car and if FI had a driver like Hamilton behind the wheel, then I think it could be higher up the order.

Fisichella is past it while Sutil really only shines in the wet. FI are caught between a rock and hard place - they need an experienced pilot and taking on a raw recruit would not really help with development.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 19:16 (Ref:2449436)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I think Sutil is doing well,but Fisi seems to be in a Korma.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2449456)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that the team is all that bad. However, they are made to look worse due to the competitive natures of F1's mid pack. A change in drivers may be a positive move for Fischella seems to have past his peak, whilst Sutil has put in some encouraging performances, he seems to lack consistency.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 20:14 (Ref:2449462)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
So vindaloo in a situation like that then..
Old 25 Apr 2009, 20:40 (Ref:2449475)   #13
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you're being a bit overly critical cds_uk, I think the team is under-funded and the car, don't forget, had to be completed re-modelled after the late, late deal with Merc (I know that the same could be said for Brawn but the base in funding was/is completely different).

However, Fisichella, for me, is way past it and has been now for a number of seasons. If I were Force India I'd be, as has been rumored, looking to Liuzzi to step up for this season at least in that seat. With Sutil, I think he's been average but with flashes of higher levels of competence. He has to prove himself this season but if I were Mallya I'd be looking at Liuzzi and di Resta for next season.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 20:46 (Ref:2449477)   #14
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shambles, i think you have misread this mate, my point was i think the car is ok and the drivers are failing to put it where it should be, i think you are on the money about giving Liuzzi a crack though.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2449479)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Jarno Trulli's time....1:33.431

Giancarlo Fisichella's time 1:33.910

The difference between Pole and position 18 on the grid.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 20:52 (Ref:2449481)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Your pun is not currying favour with me.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2449483)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Jarno Trulli's time....1:33.431

Giancarlo Fisichella's time 1:33.910

The difference between Pole and position 18 on the grid.
Trulli was on race fuel though, Fisi on fumes. Nevertheless, the ultimate times are fairly close.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 20:56 (Ref:2449488)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Well not really, and yes they are..

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/...leased-by-fia/
Old 25 Apr 2009, 21:06 (Ref:2449498)   #19
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Is it just me or does the car look half decent and its the drivers that are letting them down, i have to say i dont think Sutil is anything other than competent, and that is being generous, and Fisi, whilst he was a fine driver in his day is now way past his best. I my opinion if you had a Senna, Pantano or di Resta in the car, Q2 would be on every other race at least.
I think you're being a tad harsh on the drivers. I don't they're up to much - I'm not sure I understand the hype about Sutil, and Fisichella is surely on his way out at the end of the season - but equally I don't think the car is 'half decent'. It came out very late and was built by a small team with less money than all its competitors. I think there are drivers who could wrestle it into Q2, but not very many.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 25 Apr 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2449507)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I'd be surprised if Fisi ran that fuel in Q1 Jeremy.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 21:19 (Ref:2449508)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Okay then David.. I am trying...

But the car is not that bad and Fisi not bad also, as some would wish to point out..
Old 25 Apr 2009, 21:22 (Ref:2449510)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Not to worry, a lot of people have got confused by that this season!
Old 25 Apr 2009, 22:51 (Ref:2449562)   #23
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sutil is a curious one. He has been shading Fisi which is all he can really do. He does seem to pop up in wet races but i think that has more to do with the variability of wet races rather then a pedigree that allows him to rise to the top.

Weakest team on the grid with the weakest drivers. They need to do a Minardi and get a youg guy in there who can be flashy and be sold off for coin
Old 25 Apr 2009, 23:43 (Ref:2449579)   #24
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Every time I come on here and see Force India getting a complete ribbing and everyone having a popodom.

It's time to stop the joshing.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 23:57 (Ref:2449584)   #25
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the wet races give Sutil a chance to show what he can really do. IMO rain acts as a bit of an equalizer between cars and driver skill matters more.
In the dry though, he seems to have a tendency to try too hard, possibly in a vain attempt to make up for the car's deficits. Given a decent mid-pack car, I'd expect him to be at least on par with the other decent mid-pack drivers.