Old 22 Sep 2001, 02:06 (Ref:149391)   #1
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really like my new Focus !

It's a four-door Focus SE.
When compared to my Mustang : She runs smooth on start up,doesn't surge at idle,doesn't go though a tank of gas every 2-3 days,doesn't have a loud whine coming for the engine (is there a supercharger for a Focus yet ),I can still hear the stereo at WOT,the air conditioning works,she doesn't get followed by cops,and luxury of luxuries ,she has REAL cup-holders for my morning extra large cup of joe from Tim Hortons !! She's quite peppy too...

I'm still getting used to the feather-light clutch and gas pedal.They are really light compared to the Mustang,and the engine runs so quiet,I thought I stalled it twice and cranked the starter with the engine running .Oops

Alan
Old 24 Sep 2001, 13:21 (Ref:150281)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I too am enjoying my Kona ZX3. The engine has finally freed up and is willing to pull the revs now. It has a good ride, handles more like a rear drive car, and is quick enogh for me while still returning 28 mpg in town and 36 mpg on the highway.

Glad to hear from another Focus owner.
Old 24 Sep 2001, 14:52 (Ref:150311)   #3
habanero
Rookie

habanero should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FOCUS

fast95pony, I take it your from the US. Is it true that the Americans havent really taken to the Focus? Over here in the UK its always raved about and the long awaited RS seems set to top the hot hatch bill.

Enjoy it.

Hab

PS - Whats a KONA ZX3??
Old 24 Sep 2001, 15:58 (Ref:150346)   #4
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've not driven one myself, but a friend gives his high marks (and he is a retired Ford engineer).

Its sales are improving in the US, and I believe it will be successful here as well.
Old 25 Sep 2001, 13:22 (Ref:150974)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I cannot speak for all of America but it has been an easy sell here in Tulsa. I saw an ad for a local dealer selling fully loaded ZX3s for $12,839. Thats a good price for the features standard on the car.

My Kona Focus ZX3 is a marketing tie in model that came with some extras. First it came with a custom overhead bike rack and a Kona Out of Bounds mountain bike, special Kona rub trim on the door, color coded interior pieces, and 16" alloy wheels.
Old 27 Sep 2001, 07:20 (Ref:151954)   #6
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just got back from 3 weeks in the UK and clocked up 2500 miles in a brand new Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec 5 speed air con sunroof etc, what a great car it was good power, great handling lots of fun to drive the only thing missing was cruise control for long trips on motorways.Being a rental I was able to give the rev limiter a good testing (rev limit 6800 but you can hit 7200 if you hit it hasd enough) and the gear box had a very smooth change even if you don't use the clutch and the traction control cuts in on big jumps but over all a very nice car.
Old 28 Sep 2001, 14:13 (Ref:152688)   #7
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
Re: FOCUS

Quote:
Originally posted by habanero
fast95pony, I take it your from the US. Is it true that the Americans havent really taken to the Focus? Over here in the UK its always raved about and the long awaited RS seems set to top the hot hatch bill.

Enjoy it.

Hab

Close !! Canada. There were a few recalls when the car first came out,and this might have hurt sales at first.The problem is the dealers !! They don't make much profit on a Focus,and they tried to push me to a larger car.I wanted a 3 door ZX3,but the dealer didn't have any on the lot. I was looking for a deal on the 2001 model year,and the 4 door SE was cheaper ,so I took that.
I also wanted a 5 speed tranmission,and they are quite rare.Dealers add lots of options (more profit ! ) and lots of North Americans can't drive a car with manual tranmisions (loosers !! . I did get a 5 speed,eventually.

The Focus is a good car,but the dealers make huge profits on the big trucks and SUV's ,so they fill up their lots with the trucks and only have a handful of the smaller vehicles.

Then the dealers tell Ford that "there's not much demand" for small cars and Ford stops selling them here...

Alan
Old 28 Sep 2001, 15:05 (Ref:152705)   #8
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
I know the feeling on the manual gearbox. My Focus is the 6th vehicle I have owned and there has yet to be a auto in my driveway. Driving a manual gearbox is rapidly becoming a lost art with today's youth in America with auto boxes becoming so prevalent.

I have laugh every time I see a Camaro, Mustang or Corvette with an auto. Why not just buy a family car instead of owning an emasculated GT? Where is the joy in driving a sporty car with an auto?
Old 30 Sep 2001, 18:59 (Ref:153822)   #9
Troy Revill
Rookie

Troy Revill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: I really like my new Focus !

Quote:
Originally posted by fast95pony

(is there a supercharger for a Focus yet
If no one has already said this they have made a Focus Cossie, with the super charger can be fitted to it..
Then agian that probble me and my freaky ways, ^_~ lol..

I would try and fit a turbo to a lawn mower lol
Old 1 Oct 2001, 13:09 (Ref:154230)   #10
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
I believe that Oscar Jackson racing has a blower as well as Saleen for the Focus.
Old 2 Oct 2001, 02:19 (Ref:154633)   #11
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
Thanks for the info guys,but the Focus is going to remain stock.I bought her to use as a winter/daily driver. I have plans to upgrade the Mustang over winter,and this will probably take a good chunk of my spare pennies...

Alan
Old 7 Jan 2002, 08:38 (Ref:194779)   #12
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Leave it stock, good idea. Everybody needs one sensible car.

My ideal is to have a brand new stocker to drive to work and an older modified car to play with on weekends.
Old 10 Jan 2002, 01:55 (Ref:196369)   #13
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Despite not yet having my full licence I've already driven 5 cars - my dad's naff Toyota Delica (eurrrrgh), my mum's Volvo (not bad, gets better as you get used to it), a Hyundai (okay), a Fiesta (not much better), and a Focus. The Focus was by miles the most pleasant to drive. Gorgeous gearbox transitions, lovely and smooth to drive too. Very nice.
Old 10 Jan 2002, 10:38 (Ref:196446)   #14
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Better to be left stock as you won't get back what you spend on it.

Everyone says all these nice things about the Focus and yet, we Australians still are not allowed to drive them.