Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Oct 2016, 02:51 (Ref:3677389)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2018 New Manufacturers

With GRM courting a new brand for 2018 Here, who might be joining the series in 2018...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Oct 2016, 03:07 (Ref:3677391)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Korean brand i reckon.

definitely those brands are moving to some sporty mainstream cars (hero cars) which would fit with the series and do not big competition in other series
Old 5 Oct 2016, 03:43 (Ref:3677394)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or is it a vague attempt to deflect bad PR for GRM whilst all the Volvo stuff is going on? Mr Rogers wasn't exactly full on details - about 5% of the way through the process apparently.

Remember Mr Cochrane's annual Bathurst press release about a 3rd manufacturer joining?
Old 5 Oct 2016, 04:21 (Ref:3677398)   #4
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Or is it a vague attempt to deflect bad PR for GRM whilst all the Volvo stuff is going on? Mr Rogers wasn't exactly full on details - about 5% of the way through the process apparently.

Remember Mr Cochrane's annual Bathurst press release about a 3rd manufacturer joining?
the question was who might be joining the series in 2018...

quit your off topic trolling with old fashion antidotes about TC

3 years ago Garry said he was bringing in a new manufacture and he was correct
Old 5 Oct 2016, 04:32 (Ref:3677399)   #5
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
How long can the falcon keep racing, could it be gone as well in 2018? It doesn't seem likely that Ford will homologate a Mustang for the series, or will they?
Old 5 Oct 2016, 05:03 (Ref:3677401)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
How long can the falcon keep racing, could it be gone as well in 2018? It doesn't seem likely that Ford will homologate a Mustang for the series, or will they?
MAybe tickford might be able to homologate something

But i tend to agree 2018 for the falcon, i guess in theory no reason it cant continue
Old 5 Oct 2016, 05:15 (Ref:3677404)   #7
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Everyone was saying that Volvo were definitely staying too....right up until they weren't

Wasn't GRM supposedly a goer with Chrysler a couple of times before the Volvo connection came true

It definitely seems like a 'good PR' time to be putting out how you're talking to a new manufacturer in the same story where you are laying the boot into your current partner

Are Speedcafe chasing the story, or is GRM ringing them and wanting a story written?
Old 5 Oct 2016, 05:34 (Ref:3677405)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
the question was who might be joining the series in 2018...

quit your off topic trolling with old fashion antidotes about TC
Yes the question was asked based off the cited article - referencing claims from GRM.

The timing seems coincidental doesn't it?
Old 5 Oct 2016, 06:56 (Ref:3677412)   #9
AWASP
Rookie

AWASP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top 2 contenders;
Alfa
Hyundai
Old 5 Oct 2016, 07:21 (Ref:3677416)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Yes the question was asked based off the cited article - referencing claims from GRM.

The timing seems coincidental doesn't it?
yes,yes! You've dribbled on about that in the volvo thread, trolling (by ten tents definition) is saying the same thing in mutliple threads.

New manufacturers DRT got an opinion?
Old 5 Oct 2016, 07:37 (Ref:3677420)   #11
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
MAybe tickford might be able to homologate something

But i tend to agree 2018 for the falcon, i guess in theory no reason it cant continue
Should only allow current body shapes to run. Allow the Falcon to run in 2017, but then, sadly for this Ford fan, pull the plug at the end of 2017.

It will probably need a tough decision, like the ARDC made in 1980, to force the change.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 07:51 (Ref:3677423)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Should only allow current body shapes to run. Allow the Falcon to run in 2017, but then, sadly for this Ford fan, pull the plug at the end of 2017.

It will probably need a tough decision, like the ARDC made in 1980, to force the change.
I dont disagree with you. But that would force a big cost on 6 teams/cars
Lets hope something happens before then. 5l mustang being the most hopeful
Old 5 Oct 2016, 08:20 (Ref:3677426)   #13
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWASP View Post
Top 2 contenders;
Alfa
Hyundai
A waste of time for them unless they could secure T8 to run the team and T8 aren't available, Nissan and Volvo have already made that mistake.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 09:03 (Ref:3677435)   #14
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not something from the 4 rings outfit.
Audi
Skoda

worth a look .
Old 5 Oct 2016, 09:22 (Ref:3677441)   #15
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWASP View Post
Top 2 contenders;
Alfa
Hyundai
Oofff, wouldn't the Giulia look ace in race trim.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 09:59 (Ref:3677451)   #16
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
definitely those brands are moving to some sporty mainstream cars (hero cars) which would fit with the series and do not big competition in other series
Hyundai is launching a Golf GTI competitor and from all reports they are not mucking around. Plus apparently launching an AMG/BMW M style tuning arm, and there's no doubt they would have the cash to do it should they so desire.

Quote:
For me if you're 5% of the way through something like this you're absolutely nowhere. Much as I'd like to see it come off.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 22:58 (Ref:3677654)   #17
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I dont disagree with you. But that would force a big cost on 6 teams/cars
Lets hope something happens before then. 5l mustang being the most hopeful
Agree re the cost.

But the sport could do it back in 1980 - and this was an era with many small self funded teams.
Old 6 Oct 2016, 08:30 (Ref:3677768)   #18
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
But the sport could do it back in 1980 - and this was an era with many small self funded teams.
I don't think it is a fair comparison, you could convert a road car into a race car in the paddock in a day in 1980. Offhand it happened more than once...
Old 7 Oct 2016, 22:30 (Ref:3678255)   #19
AWASP
Rookie

AWASP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
A waste of time for them unless they could secure T8 to run the team and T8 aren't available, Nissan and Volvo have already made that mistake.
Sorry was a reference to GRM's talks with a new manufacturer, not that these brands have expectations of taking on a V8 whoops Supercar program themselves. Gary mentioned overhang, 4 Door & twin turbo V6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
Oofff, wouldn't the Giulia look ace in race trim.
Yes it would & given that it recently went around Nurburing in record time with a bloke in a T shirt & jeans, that is why I think it may be the contender - for GRM.

Edited - then again I wonder if Miss Betty will sell the Merc's ???

Last edited by AWASP; 7 Oct 2016 at 22:45.
Old 8 Oct 2016, 10:11 (Ref:3678377)   #20
Mixer
Veteran

With Nissan committing and Penske locking down 2 #1 drivers, and Shell for 3 years, I am wondering if the outlook for the sport is starting to look a bit brighter than it has. GRM has shown pedigree with making the Volvos a winning package. But is that enough to sway a manufacturer to them over Penske?
Old 8 Oct 2016, 21:04 (Ref:3678446)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
With Nissan committing and Penske locking down 2 #1 drivers, and Shell for 3 years, I am wondering if the outlook for the sport is starting to look a bit brighter than it has. GRM has shown pedigree with making the Volvos a winning package. But is that enough to sway a manufacturer to them over Penske?
If I were at Holden, I would have walked the support previously given to 888 (now replaced by the HRT bagatelle) and helped Penske into a Holden.

Mr Penske does nothing by halves, and what better way to create the very top of the grid as Holden product than to have arguably the top 2 resourced teams in their brand. And it would keep Penske out of any other brand..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 9 Oct 2016, 03:43 (Ref:3678517)   #22
Christopher
Racer

Australia
Peak Crossing, Queensland.
Christopher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skoda be great to see, who else? Koreans be my pick, cant see anything German entering. Other Manufacturers who might want to market there cars? Anything French? Infinity taking over one of the Nissans be interesting. How about Wakinshaw Jaguars.....
Old 9 Oct 2016, 04:02 (Ref:3678522)   #23
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You need to look at the strength of the local importer of any of those brands.

Skoda are just a prop-up of the local VW arm. Nothing too significant going on there.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 02:29 (Ref:3678808)   #24
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skaife was a guest on "Have you Been Paying Attention", asking the panel a series of questions.
I thought it was odd that there was a Renault based question in there.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 22:54 (Ref:3679861)   #25
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr Penske does nothing by halves,..
Which is why I'm calling it now that come 2018, Penske will be a Ford factory team, whilst Prodrive will be customer. Once the dust settles over the closure and drop of support over the next year or so, he'll be working to garner support from Detroit to run as a factory team.

I'm not saying he's a dirty businessman, but there's a time and place to do things, and he knows how to do it.